ADVERTISEMENT

Ran into Walt Harris

at the airport yesterday. He was a really nice guy . I talked to him for about 20 minutes and he had nothing but nice things to say about Pitt .

I hope you said excuse me when you ran into him

I haven't seen Walt in a few years but we rode in the same golf cart a few times when he was HC at Pitt. I loved talking football with the guy. He was a straight shooter. I won't repeat the other posts in this thread that list the positive things Walt did for the Pitt football program. I'll just say, however, that he saved Pitt football when it was as bad as any time in its history. I was at the 72-0 loss to Ohio State when David Boston ran back a punt for a TD when the Buckeyes had only nine players on the field. Walt told me that Ohio State team may have had as much, or more, talent than some of the NY Jet teams he coached.

As far as how others outside of Pitt viewed Walt Harris, I'll remind that when Ohio State fired John Cooper after the 2001 season, they asked Pitt for permission to talk to Harris. Our AD at the time, Steve P, in one of his better decisions, denied the request.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT