ADVERTISEMENT

Randy Waldrum - is he in the mix for the next USWNT head coaching position? Would he even want it? (link)

Panther Parrothead

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2001

Given this recent article from ESPN, the politics in Nigerian sports has his future as remaining the Nigerian women's coach in doubt, in spite of the solid showing that they made in Australia.

But would he even want the US job?

Comments?

Last edited:
Reactions: singregardless
ESPN.

I've seen a couple places list the most likely candidates, and neither of them mentioned him at all.
Duh...Fixed!

The only things that I've read is that the next hire would "take a while", the search would be "thorough", and unfortunately I didn't see any names. But as the 2024 Olympics are only 11 months away, how much time do they really have if they want the new coach to be on board for that?

He’s not really all that respected by the US Soccer community from what I hear. Respected may not be the right word, but Randy comes with a certain act that has never really endeared him to the USSF brass. That’s just what I hear.

Reactions: Panther Parrothead
He’s not really all that respected by the US Soccer community from what I hear. Respected may not be the right word, but Randy comes with a certain act that has never really endeared him to the USSF brass. That’s just what I hear.
I should add that there are new decision makers at US Soccer so who knows. Certainly, Gustavsson, Wiegman, Priestman are going to be the sought after candidates along with probably a Laura Harvey who has a good reputation and has been an assistant coach previous. The first 2 have been approached multiple times and turned down USSF’s offers to interview.

Yeah, that’s kind of ironic, given how a lot of US soccer fans don’t have much faith in the US soccer brass.

The US has spent a ton of money on youth soccer development, but the bang that they’ve gotten for their buck has been underwhelming. Comparatively speaking, other countries have gotten a lot more for a lot less.

To be honest, I struggle to imagine US Soccer hiring an American coach who appears to have not had any involvement with US Soccer at any level - assistant, youth team head coach, etc.

Waldrum is also a wildly successful college coach, but his pro stint with the Houston Dash was not very successful. I think that probably hurts him, too.

From a Pitt perspective, I’d certainly like to see Erica Dambach from Penn State get a long look at that job. Especially as Pitt continues to rise a little bit, PSU having to replace Dambach might be an advantage.

To be honest, I struggle to imagine US Soccer hiring an American coach who appears to have not had any involvement with US Soccer at any level - assistant, youth team head coach, etc.

Waldrum is also a wildly successful college coach, but his pro stint with the Houston Dash was not very successful. I think that probably hurts him, too.

From a Pitt perspective, I’d certainly like to see Erica Dambach from Penn State get a long look at that job. Especially as Pitt continues to rise a little bit, PSU having to replace Dambach might be an advantage.
Yeah. I’ve wondered about Erica. She has spent a lot of years in US Soccer and has been on the senior team staff and probably at least a decade total in various capacities. I would think that ship has sailed, but I’d be willing to bet that her name is on their list for at least a lookie.

Yeah. I’ve wondered about Erica. She has spent a lot of years in US Soccer and has been on the senior team staff and probably at least a decade total in various capacities. I would think that ship has sailed, but I’d be willing to bet that her name is on their list for at least a lookie.
Yeah, I think if we still lived in, like, 2015, when they won the national title, she’d probably be closer to the favorite. It doesn’t look like she’s really been involved with US Soccer as an assistant for a few years now. But it’s still on the resume.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT