ADVERTISEMENT

Real Whipple Story

Just read an article from the Lincoln Journal Star stating how the Nebraska coaching staff is too busy recruiting LSU's former qb Brennan. This whole thing is pretty odd....

Well maybe he fits better in Whipple's offense.

I’m only talking about how Whipple leaving right after developing KP from just another P5 starting QB into a Heisman finalist and 1st round draft pick impacts Pitt’s desirability as a destination for a high end QB transfer. It went from a program any higher level QB looking to rake it up a notch and improve his NFL prospects would look at, to what it was in 2017 in about half a second. If you don’t understand how that works in a real life way, God help you.
I get where you're coming from but that doesn't automatically eliminate Pitt from getting a top notch QB. First off - I would lay out the fact that any QB prospect would have all types of high end talent around him - starting with Addison, Bartholomew and the trio of backs. Secondly, if you hire a new OC - you would assume he was recruiting prospects to run his offense. If it's in house - you assure him that Pitt would run a pro style passing game that fits his strengths. Recruiting is not just based on one position coach - it's the entire offering.

I get where you're coming from but that doesn't automatically eliminate Pitt from getting a top notch QB. First off - I would lay out the fact that any QB prospect would have all types of high end talent around him - starting with Addison, Bartholomew and the trio of backs. Secondly, if you hire a new OC - you would assume he was recruiting prospects to run his offense. If it's in house - you assure him that Pitt would run a pro style passing game that fits his strengths. Recruiting is not just based on one position coach - it's the entire offering.
Everything you’re saying still doesn’t negate the fact that not having the OC that is credited with developing KP and headed up the offense that piled up all the yards and TDs likely makes it less attractive of destination for a number of candidate QB transfers.

I don’t understand how anyone can question that likelihood.

Reactions: gary2
Everything you’re saying still doesn’t negate the fact that not having the OC that is credited with developing KP and headed up the offense that piled up all the yards and TDs likely makes it less attractive of destination for a number of candidate QB transfers.

I don’t understand how anyone can question that likelihood.
Less attractive? Sure. Unattractive? Not at all. The potential Biletnikoff winner is back. Several really good receivers are back and a really good tight end is back, all with multiple years of eligibility. Two really good running backs are back with multiple years of eligibility. There is also the potential for a good portion of the offensive line returning. There is a lot of talent returning on offense, which is attractive for a QB.

Reactions: 4upmc and 303vND
Less attractive? Sure. Unattractive? Not at all. The potential Biletnikoff winner is back. Several really good receivers are back and a really good tight end is back, all with multiple years of eligibility. Two really good running backs are back with multiple years of eligibility. There is also the potential for a good portion of the offensive line returning. There is a lot of talent returning on offense, which is attractive for a QB.
THIS! ^^^

Reactions: gary2
At the time, Temple didn't meet that description (still decent under Collins). But yeah, Rod Carey would have ruined him.
No slight on your alma mater as an institution but it’s a small time football program, one a player goes to if he doesn’t have a better offer.

Maybe that’s why I used the words less attractive.

I’m just acknowledging the fact that our good fortune and momentum from the season’s successes is more than likely taking a hit w/r to enticing transfers, particularly ones looking to come in for a 1-year splash finish.

And as I said in other posts, I consider it a short term ( in other words here and now) hit, not long term provided we pick a good successor.

Guys....they DOUBLED his salary! 250k/500k. The dude is 64 years old. Even if he gets shitcanned at the end of next season, he's still in the black. Nature of the business.
See: Canada, Matthew

Reactions: pittdan77
Or this one, involving the current Senator from Alabama:

In Tommy's defense, he is a moron. Basically, a real life Forest Gump.

That’s a little different. He’s coming out of HS, committed to $hitbox Temple, and Pitt was by far his best offer. I’m talking about getting top end transfer QBs. Established studs.

2021 or even 2020 Kenny Pickett would never consider transferring to Pitt under the existing circumstances. But he would have as circumstances existed 72 hours ago.

He had multiple P5 offers after committing to Temple.

Are we so sure Addison will play next year? Given what I hear about his work ethic and personality, I would expect him to play. On the other hand, let's face it, the chances of him scoring 17 or more touchdowns again next year cannot be very high. The odds are that he will not have as great of a season next year. It might be in his best interests to sit out and avoid a big injury.

That’s a little different. He’s coming out of HS, committed to $hitbox Temple, and Pitt was by far his best offer. I’m talking about getting top end transfer QBs. Established studs.

2021 or even 2020 Kenny Pickett would never consider transferring to Pitt under the existing circumstances. But he would have as circumstances existed 72 hours ago.

He had multiple P5 offers after committing to Temple.
How would you expect a Big Pretendo Pedo Fan to know that?
Wasn't that also a year or so after "$hitbox" $hit all over the Pedos?

It was known before the season that this was Whipple's last year with Pitt. He and Narduzzi don't exactly get along and also Narduzzi isn't a fan of Whipple's offensive system. Narduzzi is OK with a pass-heavy attack, but just not the way this one is implemented. So the Whipple departure was coming eventually.

But, the reason it happened NOW is because Whipple was supposed to be visiting family in Arizona. He was not recruiting for Pitt and actually Narduzzi had no idea Whipple was meeting with Purdy. Whipple met with Purdy to recruit him to his next job. When Purdy went public with the Whipple visit, Narduzzi's hand was forced and he&Whipple had to make the announcement now.
with purdy visiting i think we can lay this thread to rest

Reactions: smenges
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT