ADVERTISEMENT

Real Whipple Story

I doubt the people inside the administration are as shocked as the common fans over what went down today. The hysteria is unfounded, as usual.
You think the administration knew he was going to take the Nebraska job but had him out recruiting the day before?

Reactions: pitt90seven
No matter what, it makes zero sense for him to have resigned abruptly this morning. Still guessing there is much more to this.

What does seem certain is that he will be the new OC for Scott Frost.

Why didn’t they extend Whipple? They weren’t happy with the offense the previous 2 seasons. He was hired and given a 3 year deal. He was going to leave after last season but Pickett said he would return only if Whipple was back. He didn’t want to learn another system from another OC in his final year.

I do find it hard to believe he was recruiting for Nebraska before resigning or signing a Nebraska contract. But Pitt was moving on after this season, especially with a new QB to break in.

I think the surprise is Whipple may want to coach again.

I don't buy that. Were they happy with the offense this year? There was nothing to prevent doing an extension during the season. Improvement doesn't happen overnight. I'm sure the HC and everyone around the program every day had a good idea the offense was coming around.
Any casual observer could see the year over year improvement in Pickett. And I would think the offense as a whole would have been a lot crisper in 2019 if there weren't a Covid disruption, or Pickett hadn't been injured.

I can't imagine Narduzzi was happy with his defense after 2 years at Pitt either, but I think he still had to have some kind of pulse on the trajectory.

I can’t believe how many of you are falling for Purdy’s smoke screen about a Pitt offer. Whipple met with Nebraska then immediately proceeded to meet with Purdy. Don’t be marks

nothing about what you're saying is logical. I'm sorry. perhaps I'm wrong but it just doesn't make any sense for the kid to be with a Pitt coach, saying he got a Pitt offer but knowing the guy wasn't going to be a Pitt coach. and Whipple wasn't supposed to be recruiting - he was with family but just decided, "screw it - I'm leaving Pitt so why not go hangout with a teenager?"
Perhaps it is a smokescreen. But if it is, Whip obviously didn't really have any plans to stick around for the Peach Bowl. He posed for the pics with Purdy. He had to know they were likely going on social media, unless he gave specific instructions for them not to.

as we all know, when you give specific instructions to a teenager, they follow it completely.

We’ll it may not be the case that PN wasn’t a fan of his offensive system. But it sure seems like there was some friction or at a minimum something less than a chummy relationship in place.

Guys in this business leave jobs all the time, often abruptly or with awkward timing. But this scenario went down so fast and the Nebraska position progressed so fast. Recruiting a QB to Pitt apparently after already talking to Nebraska, resignation from Pitt and concrete negotiations with Nebraska pretty much right after meeting with the QB transfer. Whipple’s either a pretty darn good actor or there were some strange things going on.

I have no idea if Duzz & Whip spent time shotgunning beers together or hated each other's guts. But this is a business, and I'm sure Whipple's agent knew damn well he could get Whipple at least double what he made at Pitt this year.

Getting bumped from between $400K to $500K to over a million is probably the most plausible explanation.

Purdy just had to post something like some many other football recruits that live on the attention and thought he was being clever saying they were discussing Pitt, in reality he should just have kept his business as his business.
Then Purdy is really dumb cause his sister bought “the act” if that’s what it was by tweeting this big Hail to Pitt way to go little brother thing.

Very possible that the Pitt offer was legit AND also made with Whipple knowing he was likely to end up in Nebraska soon. That way, he makes his in without risking any sort of breach on contract. Then he tells Purdy to follow him to Nebraska. Look at how many guys followed Riley to USC. You guys are reading way too much into that part.

Reactions: pittiswhereiamfrom2
Whipple was always there because Kenny liked him. It make sense for him to go when Kenny goes it he wasnt preferred by PN.

Everyone interviews for a new job first before leaving the current one, unless you're unemployeed.

Only shady part is exactly what team Purdy was being recruited for. Maybe it was Pitt but Whipple hopes he will follow him to Nebraska like many recruits do

Reactions: 303vND
It was known before the season that this was Whipple's last year with Pitt. He and Narduzzi don't exactly get along and also Narduzzi isn't a fan of Whipple's offensive system. Narduzzi is OK with a pass-heavy attack, but just not the way this one is implemented. So the Whipple departure was coming eventually.

But, the reason it happened NOW is because Whipple was supposed to be visiting family in Arizona. He was not recruiting for Pitt and actually Narduzzi had no idea Whipple was meeting with Purdy. Whipple met with Purdy to recruit him to his next job. When Purdy went public with the Whipple visit, Narduzzi's hand was forced and he&Whipple had to make the announcement now.

I believe some of this is true.

- Whipple knows he's leaving for whatever reason

- had pre-planned trip to visit family

- tells Nebraska he's going to be in AZ so they fly in

- offers Purdy a Pitt spot without approval from Pitt since they had no idea he was recruiting in AZ. Couldn't offer him a Nebraska spot so as the current Pitt OC, he offers him Pitt and then will flip.

- after this gets out on social media, he is forced to resign now instead of after bowl game

Reactions: CJsE

- offers Purdy a Pitt spot without approval from Pitt since they had no idea he was recruiting in AZ. Couldn't offer him a Nebraska spot so as the current Pitt OC, he offers him Pitt and then will flip.

- after this gets out on social media, he is forced to resign now instead of after bowl game

So then he had a NE offer to coach when he met with Purdy? If not, very stupid! Either way, very shady!

Reactions: Phillypanther2
So Canada left because he could double his salary after the offense threw up big numbers, now Whipple is leaving to double his salary after the offense threw up big numbers. I thought Narduzzi was getting a bump for the assistants. I don't understand why a 65 year old college coach would want to relocate to Nebraska to try to up grade an offense unless he has hopes of meeting Warren Buffett.

So Canada left because he could double his salary after the offense threw up big numbers, now Whipple is leaving to double his salary after the offense threw up big numbers. I thought Narduzzi was getting a bump for the assistants. I don't understand why a 65 year old college coach would want to relocate to Nebraska to try to up grade an offense unless he has hopes of meeting Warren Buffett.
He is gone because he didn't have a job here next year. End of story.

So then he had a NE offer to coach when he met with Purdy? If not, very stupid! Either way, very shady!

I don't know. Maybe not officially. Probably didn't bring up Nebraska with Purdy. Recruited him for Pitt even though he knew he was leaving and now can call him and say he wants him for Nebraska

It was known before the season that this was Whipple's last year with Pitt. He and Narduzzi don't exactly get along and also Narduzzi isn't a fan of Whipple's offensive system. Narduzzi is OK with a pass-heavy attack, but just not the way this one is implemented. So the Whipple departure was coming eventually.

But, the reason it happened NOW is because Whipple was supposed to be visiting family in Arizona. He was not recruiting for Pitt and actually Narduzzi had no idea Whipple was meeting with Purdy. Whipple met with Purdy to recruit him to his next job. When Purdy went public with the Whipple visit, Narduzzi's hand was forced and he&Whipple had to make the announcement now.
Funny since Whipple's system bailed out Duzz's defensive system multiple times.

Next year may be a disaster.

I don't know. Maybe not officially. Probably didn't bring up Nebraska with Purdy. Recruited him for Pitt even though he knew he was leaving and now can call him and say he wants him for Nebraska
I would guess he had a verbal from NE and met with Purdy for the exact reasons you mentioned. When Duzz got wind of the meeting I would say he offered Whip the chance to resign before being fired.

Reactions: bwh05
Funny since Whipple's system bailed out Duzz's defensive system multiple times.

Next year may be a disaster.
To be fair, Duzz's defense bailed out Whipple's offense two out of the past three years.

Honestly, I never saw Whipple as a either a great recruiter or a great strategist.

As much as I hate to agree, this seems exactly how the scenario played out in my mind. Start the process of forming a relationship with Purdy to be able to go in after the Peach Bowl and say that "Pitt is moving in another direction, but Nebraska is going to give me everything that I need to succeed immediately etc, etc."

I'm sure many on this board have had this very scenario play out for them in their own professional lives. My favorite was when someone that represented a company I dealt with "spontaneously" started his own company because of a culture change and would like to keep me as a customer, but his domain had been mysteriously registered 7 months prior.

As much as I hate to agree, this seems exactly how the scenario played out in my mind. Start the process of forming a relationship with Purdy to be able to go in after the Peach Bowl and say that "Pitt is moving in another direction, but Nebraska is going to give me everything that I need to succeed immediately etc, etc."

I'm sure many on this board have had this very scenario play out for them in their own professional lives. My favorite was when someone that represented a company I dealt with "spontaneously" started his own company because of a culture change and would like to keep me as a customer, but his domain had been mysteriously registered 7 months prior.
The list of successful Nebraska quarterbacks is long and illustrious. Oh, wait ...

The only thing about college football that is certain is that things aren't always what they look like on the surface. If you haven't learned that by now, you're not really paying attention.

So far as the part about Duzz not really liking Whipple, I work with a lot of people I don't like and they don't like me. But what we do works. You put on your big boy pants and do your job and forget about the other stuff.

College football sucks, just want to make sure I say that again. The people involved in it suck and are A-holes! Seriously, what other sport does a coach or player, NOT JUST FINISH THE LAST GAME and then quit AFTER THE SEASON?

Per Nebraska Site
Frost met with Whipple on Sunday at his permanent residence in Phoenix, less than 24 hours after he helped lead Pitt to an ACC Championship game win over Wake Forest, completing an 11-2 regular season and securing a spot in the Peach Bowl to play Michigan State. Frost also met with USC's Graham Harrell in Phoenix on Sunday.

The negotiation process started with Whipple first thing Tuesday which later led to his resignation with the Panthers. A Pitt, Whipple made just under $500,000 in 2021. Expect Nebraska to come close to doubling the number he made with the Panthers.
This makes total sense then, he's 64 and looks 74, I'd drop everything and screw my employer, for an extra $500K, and I'm 62 and look 52 :)

But I STILL say why not coach the last game?

I don't understand why a 65 year old college coach would want to relocate to Nebraska to try to up grade an offense unless he has hopes of meeting Warren Buffett.
$500K right before retirement is a perfect reason

Reactions: USN_Panther
I guess we will find out more of the story after the Bowl Game.

I suspect Whipple will be going to Nebraska as their OC.

Nebraska was 3-9 this year so it looks like a multi-year rebuild for them coupled with many losses through the years.

If Whipple is going to Nebraska as OC he could have said he would Split duties (Pitt/Nebraska) and stay at Pitt until after the Bowl Game. After all he is not Nebraska's HC and doesn't have to organize a coaching staff.

The timing of his resignation and the fact that he won't coach KP in the his final game is shocking/surprising.

I am pretty confident that Nebraska would have had no problem with this arrangement so I suspect it maybe the Pitt side that said go now.

Think about all the great national PR Nebraska would be getting as Whipple directs (Bowl Game) the Pitt O and KP (NFL 1st round QB draft pick) during the Bowl Game. The announcers then saying coach Whipple will be joining coach Frost as their new OC at Nebraska. How could Nebraska not want that.

As for Purdy, lets see what happens going forward.

Again, more of the details will come out in time.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:

this makes no sense. why in the world would he offer the kid a pitt scholarship w/out approval? especially if he's leaving? and the family is in on it too?

Why do you still need money at 62?
Why not? to solidify your retirement fund and leave some to your family.

In fact if I could get an extra $500K, I'd move to Nebraska for a year to do it.

Last edited:
I’m wondering how Whipple is going to institute his air raid in the triple option offensive scheme 🤷🙄

I know it's a crazy concept but institutions don't develop players, coaches do.

No, don't be ridiculous. If Nebraska didn't have a good quarterback in 2003, they can't possibly have one now. But let's cap how far we can go back, too, so we don't have to include guys like Scott Frost, Eric Crouch, and Tommy Frazier. We'll find the perfect little niche to construct this narrative.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT