ADVERTISEMENT

"Recruiting" the Coaches . . . .

1hugegeek

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2005
While I have read several posts praising ONLY our assistant coaches--and not Narduzzi-- some of the credit for our rising 4-2 team should rest at the top.

Yes, there's still much for these coaches to clean up. We saw a lack of discipline leading to excessive penalties, too many turnovers, and a few players losing mental focus during the Duke game.

That said, let's not forget that Narduzzi has "recruited" this coaching staff. In his "recruitment" of coaches, I think you can see an emphasis on their qualities in (1) player development, (2) loyalty to Pitt's program (aka- stability), and (3) recruiting.

These are the coaches in the trenches developing guys in their position groups. I've been particularly impressed with vast improvements shown--especially since last season ended--by Pickett, Carter Warren, Taysir Mack,Twyman, Patrick Jones, Haba, Cam Bright, Damarri Mathis, and most notably of all: Paris Ford.

The members of this staff have also expressed a commitment to stay. Sure, if some big time lucrative offer comes, they might bolt (as we saw with Canada leaving for LSU), but short of that, most have expressed a commitment to remain at Pitt. Narduzzi wants stability on the staff, as well he should.

Finally, these assistant coaches are the most important contacts with recruits, and they have shown improved skill as recruiters when compared to what we've seen with previous staffs. That's been especially important due to the ebb in local talent we've seen in recent years (as compared to the Wanny era).

https://pittsburghpanthers.com/coaches.aspx?path=football

Thus, assistant coaches like Whip, Bates, Borbs, Collins, Sanders, Beatty, and especially Partridge have been extremely impressive to me. Kudos to Coach Duzz for recruiting and retaining this staff.

This, (my fellow Lair men and women) is how you build a stable program capable of sustaining excellence over the long-term, (rather that engaging in that haphazard Russian-roulette-style approach known as the coaching carousel.) Let's hope we can keep them all together for another year!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News