ADVERTISEMENT

Reflection on Capel’s Slow but Steady Progress

InfoManiac

Junior
Gold Member
Apr 3, 2015
Butler Co, PA
I posted this excerpt last March sometime after the ACC tourney as the one bright spot and glimmer of hope for the future. I was a believer he would make Pitt competitive but wasn’t sure how long it would take.

(Beginning of excerpt)

2017-18 Stallings conference record was 0-18 record, Totally rock bottom. 15th in a 15 team conference.

The Capel years in Conference
=========================
2018-19. 14th (tie)
2019-20. 13th (tie)
2020-21. 12th
2021-22. 11th (tie)

Obviously moving up one spot per year is not ideal when Pitt has such a steep climb to get back to relevance. However on the bright side Pitt probably needs to get back to 7th place in the ACC to start to garner consideration for an at large bid.

(End of excerpt)

=============
Last March no one thought Capel’s slow progress was really progress. Now in 2022-23, Capel has them in position to finish anywhere between #5 and #1.

Is this just a voodoo magic year? Is it the reality of portal giveth and taketh? Whatever it is, I’ll be very happy if Capel is able to keep Pitt between 3rd and 8th every year with the occasional terrible luck season where 3 key guys get injured and they fall to the bottom half of the league.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News