ADVERTISEMENT

Replacements Found

Jeffress +
It’s about the total team rather than replacing one for one. Cummings could make up some of that difference. Kante as well. Corhen and Dunn are solid adds. Also get JDG back. They are a deeper and more balanced team 1-9 than last year. Fedes and Wills poor offense made this team 4 on 5 last year. They will be 5 on 5 every game this year.

1+ (Lowe gets better)
2- (although maybe not drastically, as Bub was only 18 after all)
3+ (going to assume Austin gets better, but that may not be a given as he isn't young)
4- (significant downgrade, I'd imagine)
5+
Bench+

So there are plenty of ways to look at it. We'll definitely have an overall better team in terms of more good players, but I do tend to think individual players matter a lot in basketball so Hinson - who outright won us multiple games - will definitely be a big loss. Just have to figure out a way to win with the new pieces. Capel seemed to pull the right strings a good amount last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Of 22 ACC games, Blake made 4 or more threes in 8 games. They were 6-2 in those games (losses to Clemson and Miami). No doubt they won at Duke due to Blake. They were 7-7 in games where he made three of fewer 3’s. So how many threes a game can Cummings make? They don’t have to live or die by three. Hinson also shot 56% from the line in those losses.

1+ (Lowe gets better)
3+ (going to assume Austin gets better, but that may not be a given as he isn't young)
5+
Bench+

So there are plenty of ways to look at it. We'll definitely have an overall better team in terms of more good players, but I do tend to think individual players matter a lot in basketball so Hinson - who outright won us multiple games - will definitely be a big loss. Just have to figure out a way to win with the new pieces. Capel seemed to pull the right strings a good amount last season.

PG - Lowe vs Lowe
2025 Lowe will be better

Guard - Leggett vs Leggett
2025 should be better

Guard - Dunn vs Carrington
Sizeable downgrade

Forward - TBD vs Hinson
Will be significant downgrade

Center - Corhen vs Fede
Sizeable upgrade

Bench
Austin vs Leggett
2024 Leggett better

Cummings vs Jeffress
Significant upgrade

GDG vs GDG
GDG 2025 should be better

Jorge va Jorge
Jorge 2025 better

PG - Lowe vs Lowe
2025 Lowe will be better

Guard - Leggett vs Leggett
2025 should be better

Guard - Dunn vs Carrington
Sizeable downgrade

Forward - TBD vs Hinson
Will be significant downgrade

Center - Corhen vs Fede
Sizeable upgrade

Bench
Austin vs Leggett
2024 Leggett better

Cummings vs Jeffress
Significant upgrade

GDG vs GDG
GDG 2025 should be better

Jorge va Jorge
Jorge 2025 better

I was doing the starting lineup, but you're right - primary lineup makes more sense.

There's also the very real possibility that the team isn't as good overall but still experiences more success (i.e. makes the NCAAT) because of how bad of a start we got off to last season (in addition to bid-stealers, ACC reputation, and OOC schedule).

1+ (Lowe gets better)
5+
Bench+

These are Cam Corhen's ACC "only" conference basketball stats

5 ACC basketball starts
21.4 minutes per game on average
9.8 ppg
4 rebounds per game
68% FG percentage
49% midrange jumper
TS 64% true shooting percentage
128 ORTG offensive power rating, way higher than anyone on our roster last year or 2 years ago
2nd on Florida State's team in total wins shares for the entire season
2nd on Florida State's team in total win shares in ACC Conference play

If Corhen was a full time starter last year at 32 minutes per game in ACC conference play only stats, we are looking at a player that would have averaged these numbers based off the additional minutes:

14.7 ppg
6 rebounds per game

This is an awesome addition to next years team imho. And, had Florida State had better guard play, Corhen might have been even better. This can be an all conference selection type player next year and we can utilize him both at the 4 and 5 imo.

He should not be a direct comparison to Fede even though he is way better than Fede. Kante should be compared to Fede, and I think Kante will be better than Fede rather easily next year assuming he is fully healthy.

Team will be deeper for sure. It's a matter of someone (or two someones) stepping up and becoming a star though. Right now on paper this is a team of a lot of nice role players.

These are Cam Corhen's ACC "only" conference basketball stats

5 ACC basketball starts
21.4 minutes per game on average
9.8 ppg
4 rebounds per game
68% FG percentage
49% midrange jumper
TS 64% true shooting percentage
128 ORTG offensive power rating, way higher than anyone on our roster last year or 2 years ago
2nd on Florida State's team in total wins shares for the entire season
2nd on Florida State's team in total win shares in ACC Conference play

If Corhen was a full time starter last year at 32 minutes per game in ACC conference play only stats, we are looking at a player that would have averaged these numbers based off the additional minutes:

14.7 ppg
6 rebounds per game

This is an awesome addition to next years team imho. And, had Florida State had better guard play, Corhen might have been even better. This can be an all conference selection type player next year and we can utilize him both at the 4 and 5 imo.

He should not be a direct comparison to Fede even though he is way better than Fede. Kante should be compared to Fede, and I think Kante will be better than Fede rather easily next year assuming he is fully healthy.

I should have added to this, Corhen played the majority of last season with a broken toe.

Team will be deeper for sure. It's a matter of someone (or two someones) stepping up and becoming a star though. Right now on paper this is a team of a lot of nice role players.

Yeah, that's kind of what I fear. I mean, not role players per se - I think we have guys who are better than just that (Lowe, almost certainly Leggett, hopefully Corhen, etc.). But you need some specialness in there.

I should have added to this, Corhen played the majority of last season with a broken toe.

I should have added a second thing to this that I forgot about regarding Corhen that is important.

Jaland Lowe played with Cam Corhen in the EYBL. These 2 put Houston in the EYBL Final 4, the toughest high school basketball tournament in the country at the Peach Jam. Corhen also rebounded pretty well in the EYBL, So there is hope there that he can pick up on the glass next year.

I have a simpler view of the world. I found this past Pitt team to be highly entertaining to watch. Lowe/Carrington/Ish/Hinson were all fun to watch play most nights. Season-long, I probably enjoyed following last year's team more than the Burton-lead team from the year before, though of course the end of those seasons was much different....I definitely enjoyed those NCAAT games way more than the boycotted NIT appearance.

So, I am really just looking for a reason to show up to the game or tune in on TV. Like, I couldn't even watch some of those Stallings era games, nothing entertaining at all. I think they have enough already to be entertaining next year, and with another key addition or two, will almost certainly be worth watching regularly. So, I'll enjoy all the games again, and then when they get left out of the NCAAT again, I'll come on here and whine about it.

Of 22 ACC games, Blake made 4 or more threes in 8 games. They were 6-2 in those games (losses to Clemson and Miami). No doubt they won at Duke due to Blake. They were 7-7 in games where he made three of fewer 3’s. So how many threes a game can Cummings make? They don’t have to live or die by three. Hinson also shot 56% from the line in those losses.
Yup. You’re not going to replace Blake. But you can find someone who plays better defense rebounds better and has more of an inside presence to go with a decent midrange/outside game.

I should have added a second thing to this that I forgot about regarding Corhen that is important.

Jaland Lowe played with Cam Corhen in the EYBL. These 2 put Houston in the EYBL Final 4, the toughest high school basketball tournament in the country at the Peach Jam. Corhen also rebounded pretty well in the EYBL, So there is hope there that he can pick up on the glass next year.
I think you’ve got your years wrong. Houston Hoops was in the semifinal in 2022, when Lowe was on the team but Corhen was already at Florida State.

I think you’ve got your years wrong. Houston Hoops was in the semifinal in 2022, when Lowe was on the team but Corhen was already at Florida State.

Yea, they played together on the 2021 team in the EYBL, not the 2022 team.

I expect Lowe to improve to the point where he’s mentioned as one of best Pgs in the country .

Ish will start and take up a lot of slack from not having Bub .

GDG and Austin are the wild cards , if they improve significantly Pitt will be very good .

Cummings if he comes in ready to step up could help to make up for Blake’s shooting , but no one’s going to make us forget Blake .

We don’t know what to expect out of Papa , but I think he’s going to be more valuable a player than most think .

The new center is a huge upgrade . Corhen and Papa will be the inside muscle last yrs team lacked . Dunn needs to be last yrs Ish off the bench.

Jorge and Barnes , especially Barnes are unknown quantities as to how they can contribute.

This is a better team on paper right now than last yrs team with a few ships still open . Looking for a good yr next season .

I see things a little differently.

Dunn starts at 2G. He fills Carrington’s spot. Ish stays as the 6th man same as last season. Corhen starts as Fede’s replacement. Kante is his backup. The twins only get PT as forwards —except if Corhen and Kante are both in foul trouble. Still need to land a tall wing who shoots the 3-ball really well to make this team really really good!!

Bench is already strong.

I see things a little differently.

Dunn starts at 2G. He fills Carrington’s spot. Ish stays as the 6th man same as last season. Corhen starts as Fede’s replacement. Kante is his backup. The twins only get PT as forwards —except if Corhen and Kante are both in foul trouble. Still need to land a tall wing who shoots the 3-ball really well to make this team really really good!!

Bench is already strong.
Agree on Ish. He seemed to flourish in that role.

I have a simpler view of the world. I found this past Pitt team to be highly entertaining to watch. Lowe/Carrington/Ish/Hinson were all fun to watch play most nights. Season-long, I probably enjoyed following last year's team more than the Burton-lead team from the year before, though of course the end of those seasons was much different....I definitely enjoyed those NCAAT games way more than the boycotted NIT appearance.

So, I am really just looking for a reason to show up to the game or tune in on TV. Like, I couldn't even watch some of those Stallings era games, nothing entertaining at all. I think they have enough already to be entertaining next year, and with another key addition or two, will almost certainly be worth watching regularly. So, I'll enjoy all the games again, and then when they get left out of the NCAAT again, I'll come on here and whine about it.

This past year was a better team. Was playing like a top 20 team at the end. Just got snubbed.

But I agree. I didn’t watch large stretches of Stalling years games, not because I don’t love Pitt but because I do love Pitt. I just couldn’t stand it.

We are past that. I’m confident we’ll have entertaining products we can be proud of. To what extent remains to be seen.

Cut and Paste 2024-25 Roster (as of April 18, 2024):

Note: Unsure on last year's walk-ons--some on here may not be back?

Pitt 2024-25 Men's Basketball Roster (April 18, 2024)
#
Full Name
Pos.
Ht.
Wt.
Academic Year
Hometown / High School
Previous School
??Brandin CummingsG6-3170Fr.Midland, PA / Lincoln Park (PA)
4Papa Amadou KanteF6-10235R-Fr.Dakar, Senegal / South Kent Prep
5Ishmael LeggettG6-3185Sr.Prince George's County, MD / St. John's CollegeRhode Island
??Damian DunnG6-5205Gr.Kinston, NC/ Meadowbrook (GA)Temple/Houston
11Marlon Barnes, Jr.F6-6190R-Fr.Cleveland, OH / Brush
??Liam MignognaF6-82XXFr.Allison Park, PA / Hampton (PA)
13Benjamin MayhewF6-4180So.Wilkinsburg, PA / Propel Braddock Hills
15Jaland LoweG6-3170So.Missouri City, TX / Fort Bend Marshall
21Vason StevensonF6-3190So.McKees Rocks, PA / Montour
??Amdy N’DiayeF6-10205Fr.Brookeville, NY/ Putnam Science (CT)L.I. Lutheran
25Guillermo Diaz GrahamF7-0220Jr.Canary Islands, Spain / IMG Academy (FL)
31Jorge Diaz GrahamF6-11210Jr.Canary Islands, Spain / IMG Academy (FL)
??Cam CorhenF6-10225Jr.Allen, TX / Sunrise Christian (TX)Florida State
44Jajuan NelsonF6-7215So.Philadelphia, PA / String Theory Charter
55Zack AustinF6-7210R-Sr.Winston-Salem, NC / Moravian PrepHigh Point

Last edited:
Cut and Paste 2024-25 Roster (as of April 18, 2024):

Note: Unsure on last year's walk-ons--some on here may not be back?

Pitt 2024-25 Men's Basketball Roster (April 18, 2024)
#
Full Name
Pos.
Ht.
Wt.
Academic Year
Hometown / High School
Previous School
??Brandin CummingsG6-3170Fr.Midland, PA / Lincoln Park (PA)
4Papa Amadou KanteF6-10235R-Fr.Dakar, Senegal / South Kent Prep
5Ishmael LeggettG6-3185So.Prince George's County, MD / St. John's CollegeRhode Island
??Damian DunnG6-5205Gr.Kinston, NC/ Meadowbrook (GA)Temple/Houston
11Marlon Barnes, Jr.F6-6190R-Fr.Cleveland, OH / Brush
??Liam MignognaF6-82XXFr.Allison Park, PA / Hampton (PA)
13Benjamin MayhewF6-4180So.Wilkinsburg, PA / Propel Braddock Hills
15Jaland LoweG6-3170So.Missouri City, TX / Fort Bend Marshall
21Vason StevensonF6-3190So.McKees Rocks, PA / Montour
??Amdy N’DiayeF6-10205R-Jr.Brookeville, NY/ Putnam Science (CT)L.I. Lutheran
25Guillermo Diaz GrahamF7-0220Jr.Canary Islands, Spain / IMG Academy (FL)
31Jorge Diaz GrahamF6-11210Jr.Canary Islands, Spain / IMG Academy (FL)
??Cam CorhenF6-10225Jr.Allen, TX / Sunrise Christian (TX)Florida State
44Jajuan NelsonF6-7215So.Philadelphia, PA / String Theory Charter
55Zack AustinF6-7210R-Sr.Winston-Salem, NC / Moravian PrepHigh Point
Why is Leggett listed as a sophomore here? Should be sr.

IMHO--here is my opinion on the current depth chart for 2024-25:

5--Corhen, Kante, G. D-G
4--G. D-G, Austin
3--[Transfer TBD], Dunn, J. D-G
2--Dunn, Leggett, Cummings
1--Lowe, Leggett

Believe they still need another transfer tall (6-5+) wing who shoots the 3-ball very well to provide starters minutes at 3---to help replace some of the loss of Hinson's 3-ball threat. With two ships left they can fill this need (hopefully) and still have one ship remaining.

An open question is-- what Marlon Barnes will provide as a RS-Fr? It would be a team bonus if he turns out to be able to hoot the 3-ball well.

IMHO--here is my opinion on the current depth chart for 2024-25:

5--Corhen, Kante, G. D-G
4--G. D-G, Austin
3--[Transfer TBD], Dunn, J. D-G
2--Dunn, Leggett, Cummings
1--Lowe, Leggett

Believe they still need another transfer tall (6-5+) wing who shoots the 3-ball very well to provide starters minutes at 3---to help replace some of the loss of Hinson's 3-ball threat. With two ships left they can fill this need (hopefully) and still have one ship remaining.
They need a starter (who can shoot outside) at 4 maybe even more importantly than a shooter. If they give Thiero at the 3 and have to adjust and put GDG or Austin at the 4 any PItt fan including myself should live with that. I'd like to get Thiero but I would almost prefer a traditional big time 4. Yes I know Thiero can play the 4 and is a point forward. Not comfortable starting GDG at the 4

They need a starter (who can shoot outside) at 4 maybe even more importantly than a shooter. If they give Thiero at the 3 and have to adjust and put GDG or Austin at the 4 any PItt fan including myself should live with that. I'd like to get Thiero but I would almost prefer a traditional big time 4. Yes I know Thiero can play the 4 and is a point forward. Not comfortable starting GDG at the 4
At the moment Pitt doesn't (on paper) pose as great a 3-ball scoring threat it did the past two seasons. Would Thiero cure that problem?

His 4-ball shooting % at Kentucky wasn't that great. Only 7 for 22 (0.318). Maybe a less overall skilled player who shoots the 3-ball better would help Pitt more?

In any event, I would be more than surprised if Pitt lands Thiero--odds seem low to me given the competition.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdheller76
Don't know that Pitt needs a true 4 -- especially one who doesn't pose a serious 3-ball threat.

Capel can go mostly with 2 guards plus 2 wings and a post and rely on the 3-ball offense. In that situation, GDG can play similar minutes/game to last year (18) and provide 3-ball shooting playing as a 4/3. He made 40.5% of his 3s last season. With Corhen and Kante we shouldn't need him to play the 5 except when, on occasion, the other two both get in foul trouble. Because of his shooting GDG is not a liability on offense but can be defensively when guarding quick forwards on the perimeter who can blow by him.

I think we think about the 3 because of Hinson and the 22-23 team, but at the end of the day, better balanced scores and a deeper team will carry the team further than the round of 32 and first four out. We want Hinson because Jeffress and Fede gave them nothing offensively. Corhen, Dunn, ideally Cummings and Kante, help make Pitt a deeper and balanced team. If they get Thiero, it adds another threat rather than having to live by the 3. But Pitt would have still 5 pieces who shot greater than 34% in conference in Dunn, Leggett, Austin, Lowe (near 40), and GDG (near 40). That does not include what Cummings may give you from 3 if his shooting sticks at the next level.

At the moment Pitt doesn't (on paper) pose as great a 3-ball scoring threat it did the past two seasons. Would Thiero cure that problem?

His 4-ball shooting % at Kentucky wasn't that great. Only 7 for 22 (0.318). Maybe a less overall skilled player who shoots the 3-ball better would help Pitt more?

In any event, I would be more than surprised if Pitt lands Thiero--odds seem low to me given the competition.
No he would not and I never said he filled a need. But he would help and you take him if you get him, Not know for shooting

Don't know that Pitt needs a true 4 -- especially one who doesn't pose a serious 3-ball threat.

Capel can go mostly with 2 guards plus 2 wings and a post and rely on the 3-ball offense. In that situation, GDG can play similar minutes/game to last year (18) and provide 3-ball shooting playing as a 4/3. He made 40.5% of his 3s last season. With Corhen and Kante we shouldn't need him to play the 5 except when, on occasion, the other two both get in foul trouble. Because of his shooting GDG is not a liability on offense but can be defensively when guarding quick forwards on the perimeter who can blow by him.
Who is your starting 4 right now? GDG can't play defense especially in the post, no one is arguing he is not a good shooter and orobably best returning 3 point shooter. Kante will back up Corhen at the 5 and not starting him either

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT