ADVERTISEMENT

Reviewing Narduzzi's "biggest" WPIAL misses

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
With the news of MJ Devonshire potentially transferring to Pitt from Kentucky, I thought it'd be interesting to review the four & five-star prospects from the WPIAL (according to 247Sports composite rankings) who did not sign with Pitt during the Narduzzi era. I did not include the Class of 2020 since there isn't much to be said about them yet, nor did I include three star recruits like Zane Zandier and Kurt Hinish.

2015 (Pitt landed 1 out of 2 4/5-star recruits)
- OL Sterling Jenkins, signed with Penn State, transferred to Duquesne (Bio)

2016 (Pitt landed 1 out of 3 4/5-star recruits)
- RB Miles Sanders, signed with Penn State (Bio); LB Khaleke Hudson, signed with Michigan (Bio)

2017 (Pitt landed 1 out of 5 4/5-star recruits)
- DB Lamont Wade, signed with Penn State (Bio); OL Josh Lugg, signed with Notre Dame (Bio); OL CJ Thorpe, signed with Penn State (Bio); DL Donovan Jeter, signed with Michigan (Bio)

2018 (Pitt landed 0 out of 2 4/5-star recruits)
- QB Phil Jurkovec, signed with Notre Dame, transferred to Boston College (Bio); S Kwantel Raines, signed with West Virginia, transferred to Temple (Bio)

2019 (Pitt landed 0 out of 2 4/5 star rectuits)
- OL Andrew Kristofic, signed with Notre Dame (Bio); DB Joey Porter Jr, signed with Penn State (Bio)

Two players are already in the NFL, three eventually transferred, and most of them have gone on to have solid careers. Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side; other times, it's not. Miles Sanders is the biggest name but we already had Darrin Hall and Qadree Ollison, both of whom were very productive RBs. We were weak at LB for a time, which is where guys like Hudson might've come in handy. Lugg and Thrope might've also helped the past two seasons with the lack of production at the offensive line. Meanwhile, I don't think guys like Jeter and Wade, albeit solid players, would've made a huge difference since we are very strong at their positions. Perhaps someone like Porter Jr or Raines could've helped next season with the departure of several key players in the secondary.

I think the one thing to be said about this, particularly on the defensive side of the ball, is that Narduzzi and his staff have done a decent job at making up for the lack of incoming WPIAL recruits; several of these players play at positions that are considered a strength. This goes to show that the effort to expand recruiting in the south and along the DMV are paying off. It's also nice to see that, aside from Raines' WVU commitment, the only schools that have been stealing these "blue-chip prospects" from our backyard are the so-called big boys; it'd be a separate issue if middle-of-the-pack Big Ten and ACC schools were poaching from us. Additionally, Pitt's percentage of 4/5-star commits from the WPIAL have decreased each year but, aside from 2019, our class rank has remained more-or-less about the same; this also coincides with the amount of 4/5-star prospects from the WPIAL decreasing each year since 2017. Perhaps the shift to other pipelines is out of necessity?

Would it have made the recruiting rankings look better if we landed these hometown top prospects? Yes, but it hasn't necessarily been the end of the world. I still don't think we should stop prioritizing the WPIAL, but missing on the "can't miss" prospects hasn't killed us anymore than it has the past 20 years.

With the news of MJ Devonshire potentially transferring to Pitt from Kentucky, I thought it'd be interesting to review the four & five-star prospects from the WPIAL (according to 247Sports composite rankings) who did not sign with Pitt during the Narduzzi era. I did not include the Class of 2020 since there isn't much to be said about them yet, nor did I include three star recruits like Zane Zandier and Kurt Hinish.

- RB Miles Sanders, signed with Penn State (Bio); LB Khaleke Hudson, signed with Michigan (Bio)

- DB Lamont Wade, signed with Penn State (Bio); OL Josh Lugg, signed with Notre Dame (Bio); OL CJ Thorpe, signed with Penn State (Bio); DL Donovan Jeter, signed with Michigan (Bio)

- QB Phil Jurkovec, signed with Notre Dame, transferred to Boston College (Bio); S Kwantel Raines, signed with West Virginia, transferred to Temple (Bio)

- OL Andrew Kristofic, signed with Notre Dame (Bio); DB Joey Porter Jr, signed with Penn State (Bio)

Two players are already in the NFL, three eventually transferred, and most of them have gone on to have solid careers. Sometimes the grass is greener on the other side; other times, it's not. Miles Sanders is the biggest name but we already had Darrin Hall and Qadree Ollison, both of whom were very productive RBs. We were weak at LB for a time, which is where guys like Hudson might've come in handy. Lugg and Thrope might've also helped the past two seasons with the lack of production at the offensive line. Meanwhile, I don't think guys like Jeter and Wade, albeit solid players, would've made a huge difference since we are very strong at their positions. Perhaps someone like Porter Jr or Raines could've helped next season with the departure of several key players in the secondary.

I think the one thing to be said about this, particularly on the defensive side of the ball, is that Narduzzi and his staff have done a decent job at making up for the lack of incoming WPIAL recruits; several of these players play at positions that are considered a strength. This goes to show that the effort to expand recruiting in the south and along the DMV are paying off. It's also nice to see that, aside from Raines' WVU commitment, the only schools that have been stealing these "blue-chip prospects" from our backyard are the so-called big boys; it'd be a separate issue if middle-of-the-pack Big Ten and ACC schools were poaching from us. Additionally, Pitt's percentage of 4/5-star commits from the WPIAL have decreased each year but, aside from 2019, our class rank has remained more-or-less about the same; this also coincides with the amount of 4/5-star prospects from the WPIAL decreasing each year since 2017. Perhaps the shift to other pipelines is out of necessity?

Would it have made the recruiting rankings look better if we landed these hometown top prospects? Yes, but it hasn't necessarily been the end of the world. I still don't think we should stop prioritizing the WPIAL, but missing on the "can't miss" prospects hasn't killed us anymore than it has the past 20 years.
Because I am too lazy to do this myself....could you please list who the 4-5 stars were in those years who did sign with Pitt?

I think there are a few more, no? David Adams and Robert Hainsey (technically went from Gateway to IMG) in 2017 and then Carmody in 2020.
According to 247Sports’ composite rankings, David Adams was a 3-star (88) and Hainsey was considered part of Florida’s class, although I would agree that he should be classified with PA. Hainsey would’ve been a great centerpiece on the offensive line while Adams, in all likelihood, steps away from football even at Pitt.

Jeter a miss? Not in the least.

Why do I think some of you guys look your ex loves up on ‘the Facebook’ every year, to see if she is as unhappy as you are?
you-talkin-to-me.gif

I don’t think any team’s misses are as bad as they seem when you look back at it, because the bust rate is always going to be fairly high amongst prospects.

If anything it’s probably a better exercise in judging a staff’s ability to sell and/or close. If player X is who a staff wanted, and couldn’t get traction with him, that probably continues across all of recruiting, regardless of how player X turned out.

I was going off of composite rankings at the time of their recruitment, not their collegiate careers. At the time, Jeter was considered a miss.
I realize that,but at some point reality has got to play its part. And the reality is that he is an average player on a less than average squad.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I realize that,but at some point reality has got to play its part. And the reality is that he is an average player on a less than average squad.
I think we’re on the same page here. However, the point I’m trying to make is that some of the WPIAL prospects we missed out on, who at the time were considered must-get recruits, either didn’t pan out at other schools or their absence was made up for by recruiting in other areas. The term “miss” I’m going by has everything to do with their recruiting rating and not their actual outcome.

It is why I have been saying that these kids and parents need to approach this decision more as a business decision than a fanboy decision. If you have any NFL aspirations, where are you going to get the best opportunity to showcase your skills?

these kids and parents need to approach this decision more as a business decision than a fanboy decision

That is a good point, the problem, I would guess, is the modern day over the top glorification of one's own kids, parents just don't get the fact or appreciate that their off spring may not be as good as other players, no matter what level, so with that in mind any dangling carrot makes them believe their son is the next Heisman/Outland winner. Hence , the need to transfer after two years because the competition was so keen, etc.

That is a good point, the problem, I would guess, is the modern day over the top glorification of one's own kids, parents just don't get the fact or appreciate that their off spring may not be as good as other players, no matter what level, so with that in mind any dangling carrot makes them believe their son is the next Heisman/Outland winner. Hence , the need to transfer after two years because the competition was so keen, etc.
It's not that their kids aren't "good enough", they maybe. But at an Alabama or Ohio State or Notre Dame, every kid is "good enough". And take a Paris Ford, say he goes to Ohio State, and has trouble picking up the schemes, by the time he "gets it", they already recruited 3-4 other Paris Ford's and makes sense to play the younger guy. Same with what we saw with Robert Foster. Foster at Pitt would have had every chance to start opposite Boyd, at Alabama an injury here, and voila Alabama has three more 5 star WR recruits in tow.

Note: THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE FOR QUARTERBACKS!

It's not that their kids aren't "good enough", they maybe

Agreed,100%, if you ever coached at a good program the decision as to who is on the field is a tough one in a lot of cases, and at QB , since there is only one spot, it heightens the fine line. The truth is only 11 go on the field at once (and there is only one ball), and sometimes it is merely the style of play as preferred by a coach or coaches, not ability that "makes" that decision, but it is a decision which must be made imo.

To have Sterling Jenkins listed as a "miss" is laughable.
Respectfully, that’s not the point of this post. The “recruiting misses” had all to do with their “stars” and not their collegiate careers.

The point was to show that, although they were seen as misses at the time, being that they were highly-regarded recruits from the WPIAL, they sometimes either don’t pan out or we recruited well enough to make up for their loss.

Last edited:
It's not that their kids aren't "good enough", they maybe. But at an Alabama or Ohio State or Notre Dame, every kid is "good enough". And take a Paris Ford, say he goes to Ohio State, and has trouble picking up the schemes, by the time he "gets it", they already recruited 3-4 other Paris Ford's and makes sense to play the younger guy. Same with what we saw with Robert Foster. Foster at Pitt would have had every chance to start opposite Boyd, at Alabama an injury here, and voila Alabama has three more 5 star WR recruits in tow.

Note: THIS IS ESPECIALLY TRUE FOR QUARTERBACKS!

Your description of Paris Ford is exactly what is going to happen to Donovan Macmillan at Florida.

Not sour grapes after spurning Pitt, but he should have gone somewhere where he would be a multi year starter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT