ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Running down some QB targets to watch (11/29/2022)

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
I put a date in the title of this post because I imagine we'll do a few posts like this over the next few weeks.

With Kenny Minchey gone to Notre Dame, Pitt has been working to find new options at quarterback in the 2023 class. While I don't think the staff will force the issue and take a QB just to take one, they do want a high school prospect in the class. Here's the latest on some of the guys they're targeting and a few names to watch.

When a coach leaves a school, the feeding frenzy begins, and such is the case with Cincinnati’s commitment list in the wake of Luke Fickell departing for Wisconsin. I’m sure that Drogosh, who committed to Cincinnati in May, has had no shortage of communications in the last 48 hours, and Pitt was the first school to offer the 6’5” three-star prospect from Michigan. Not surprisingly, Drogosh has declined to do interviews at this point; that makes sense given that Signing Day is roughly three weeks away.

The first question with Drogosh is whether or not Fickell tries to bring him to Wisconsin. The Badgers have a commitment from Broomfield (Co.) three-star Cole Lacrue; Fickell will have to decide whether to focus on retaining Lacrue or re-acquiring Drogosh. In the meantime, schools like Pitt will be working to get him on campus for an official visit during one of the next three weekends. I’ve been told that Drogosh has been receptive to Pitt in the wake of the offer, so that’s a good start. I would tentatively call him the top target right now, but I also expect new names to show up.

Tupou’ata-Johnson has been committed to San Diego State since June, but Pitt has been involved for quite some time with him. He was one of the early string of offers extended when Frank Cignetti was hired to be Pitt’s offensive coordinator and there was contact between coach and recruit throughout the spring. When Kenny Minchey committed in April, that closed the door for guys like Tupou’ata-Johnson, but in the wake of Minchey’s decommitment, the door is open again.

Tupou’ata-Johnson told me that his contact with Pitt picked up considerably two weeks ago - that lines up with Minchey’s decommitment - and I think they’ve got his interest. California to Pittsburgh is a long way to go, and Pitt’s always going to be more of a long shot than the West Coast schools that have offered. But Tupou’ata-Johnson said he has been talking to the Pitt coaches about taking an official visit, and he seems open to getting a closer look.

Drogosh is probably a little more of a priority, partly because there’s probably a higher likelihood of success given the proximity. But Tupou’ata-Johnson has interest and he’s certainly an impressive prospect.

Fayard and Staub are below Drogosh and Tupou’ata-Johnson on the board, but they’re worth at least noting because both guys were on Pitt’s contact list after Minchey decommitted. My take is that they’re both Plan B options right now - fallbacks in case Drogosh and Tupou’ata-Johnson don’t work out (although I think another Plan A option or two will emerge in the next day or two).

My guess is Pitt won’t end up pushing for Fayard or Staub, but they’re notable as being among the group of prospects the coaches reached out to when they had to restart on quarterback recruiting. And I think if Pitt wanted to push for Fayard or Staub, they would be there for the taking.

Staub highlights:

Fayard highlights:

That's four guys to keep an eye on, or at least know of. As I said, more names will be added. I get the impression that while the staff is working on Drogosh and Tupou'ata-Johnson, they're also looking at a few more guys to decide who to make a move with, so we'll be watching for more targets to emerge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News