ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Running down the top transfer WR targets

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
Pitt needs a receiver (or two) from the transfer portal this offseason, and the staff has offered a number of targets. Here’s a look at where the Panthers stand with some of their top potential additions.

JaQuae Jackson (Cal U)
Jackson was a 2018 graduate of Serra Catholic, where he was a first-team all-state defensive back as a senior. He redshirted his first year at Cal and played a handful of games in 2019 before the 2020 season was canceled due to Covid. As a redshirt sophomore in 2021, he led Cal in receptions and receiving yards when he caught 58 passes for 744 yards and eight touchdowns.

This past season, he blew up with 77 receptions for 1,178 yards and 13 touchdowns in 11 games. He also scored two rushing touchdowns and was named to the PSAC Football Western Division All-Conference first team.

Jackson has received offers from a number of Power Five schools since entering the portal, including Pitt, Colorado, Georgia Tech, Cincinnati, N.C. State, West Virginia, Washington State, Miami, Texas A&M and Rutgers.

I’ve heard that West Virginia and Rutgers are Pitt’s main competition for Jackson, but he has also visited Colorado and Miami in addition to Pitt, and it’s tough to tell which way he’s leaning because he has kept things pretty quiet. Pitt doesn’t seem to be the favorite here, but the Panthers are the hometown team and have an obvious need at receiver, so they do have some things to sell.

Jackson (6’3” 175) is set to make his commitment on Saturday, May 6.

Jahdae Walker (Grand Valley State)
Walker had a quiet freshman season at Grand Valley State in 2021, but he stepped into a big role this past season. He caught 30 passes for a team-leading 623 yards - 20.8 yards per reception - and four touchdowns, and he was the only player in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference to average more than 20 yards per catch with a minimum of six catches.

After the season, Walker was named to the All-GLIAC first team.

A native of Cleveland, Walker (6’4” 185) entered the transfer portal on April 26 and has picked up offers from Pitt, Colorado, Texas A&M, Mississippi State, Illinois, Eastern Michigan, Buffalo, McNeese State, Western Kentucky, UConn, Ball State, Miami (Oh.) and Kent State.

Pitt offered Walker on Sunday and Mississippi State and Illinois followed in the hours after, so his recruitment is just getting started.

Dylan Goffney (SMU)
Goffney doesn’t have the production of Jackson or Walker, but he’s a talented receiver who could improve Pitt’s room. Last season, Goffney (6’1” 213) caught 18 passes for 369 yards and two touchdowns, averaging 20.5 yards per catch.

Pitt moved quickly when Goffney went into the portal, offering him less than two hours after he announced his entry. Arizona State, Cal, Cincinnati, San Diego State, Colorado State, Louisiana-Monroe, Charlotte, Fresno State, Texas State, Georgia State, UConn, Western Kentucky and Bowling Green have joined the list since then.

The Panthers recruited Goffney as a prospect in the class of 2021 at Bridgeland High School, so there is a relationship already in place and it should help in his transfer recruitment. That said, it looks like an uphill battle. Goffney picked an in-state non-Power Five school out of high school, and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him opt to stay close to home again.

OTHER TARGETS
Darius Lassiter (Eastern Michigan)
- Pitt offered Lassiter, but I don’t think anything is happening there. He visited BYU, but I have heard questions about his eligibility and I don’t think Pitt is pursuing him any longer.

Xzavier Henderson (Florida) - Pitt recruited Henderson out of high school and two of his former teammates with the Gators joined the Panthers as transfers this offseason, so that should give the staff an opening. But from what I’ve heard, I don’t think Henderson has too much reciprocal interest, at least at this point.

Landen King (Auburn) - Pitt offered King over the weekend, but I think the staff sees the 6’5” 209-pounder as a tight end. Auburn listed him as a tight end in 2021 but switched his position listing to receiver; either way, he only caught one pass in 2022 and appeared in just three games. Pitt’s perspective could change, but I think the staff is targeting him more as a tight end.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News