ADVERTISEMENT

Seahawks just committed a Pitting

UPitt '89

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2002
A play call straight from the game-day coaching handbook of Dave Wannstedt, Walt Harris, and Paul Chryst.

i dont think wlat would have called that.

wanny definitely

PC 50/50

first thought that went through my head was "did wanny just knock pete carroll over the head (+ whoever seattles OC is) and slip matt cavanaugh in there to make that play call somehow?"

Not sure why we like living in the past? But if you are going to live there...better get your head scratching offensive play calling straight. Much more analagous to the Tire Bowl series of play calls where Pitt had the ball first and goal, left Fitzgerald on the bench...and did not score and went on to lose. Or perhaps you remember the Insight Bowl where Kevin Barlow tore up the field in the first half...only to not see the ball in the second half...and Pitt went on to lose. Harris was the classic coach who got fancy and often out-smarted himself with his offensive play calls and use of personnel. Wannstedt and Chryst were much more power run the ball types and both would have run the ball on second and 1 yard to go--and neither had a guy as good as Lynch [although Connor may be close at least in that situation]. Hail to Pitt!

Re: Reply

Originally posted by PITTLAW:
Not sure why we like living in the past? But if you are going to live there...better get your head scratching offensive play calling straight. Much more analagous to the Tire Bowl series of play calls where Pitt had the ball first and goal, left Fitzgerald on the bench...and did not score and went on to lose. Or perhaps you remember the Insight Bowl where Kevin Barlow tore up the field in the first half...only to not see the ball in the second half...and Pitt went on to lose. Harris was the classic coach who got fancy and often out-smarted himself with his offensive play calls and use of personnel. Wannstedt and Chryst were much more power run the ball types and both would have run the ball on second and 1 yard to go--and neither had a guy as good as Lynch [although Connor may be close at least in that situation]. Hail to Pitt!
agree with almost all

Wanny had McCoy, and he knew exactly how to use him -- Wanny pounds the rock right there with his stud back, and he scores the TD and wins the Super Bowl -- no question about it. Wanny will never be guilty of out-smarting himself or getting too fancy, that's for sure

The complainers comparing Carroll's worst call in football history to ANY call by Wanny is triple-foolish

Yeah. I'd have to think that's a Walt type decision there. Wanny would have run the ball. PC would have run a bootleg there and gone for a FG to tie. The angle of the FG is not as significant from the right hash in the NFL, so the FG would have been good--sending the game into OT...which would have been NEAT to experience an OT super bowl.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by fkthomas:
Yeah. I'd have to think that's a Walt type decision there. Wanny would have run the ball. PC would have run a bootleg there and gone for a FG to tie. The angle of the FG is not as significant from the right hash in the NFL, so the FG would have been good--sending the game into OT...which would have been NEAT to experience an OT super bowl.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
I agree 100% that's what dumba$$ Chryst would have done... gone for the FG

Then, after he made it, he would've looked at the scoreboard and seen the score: Pats 28 - Hawks 27

HE LOST THE GAME! He didn't realize he was down by 4 pts, not 3 pts!

I could TOTALLY see that fat walrus Chryst making that decision, for sure

Against Navy at Heinz, Wanny had Shady, who was just as effective as Lynch (especially against Navy), but didn't Wanny throw a fade in a similar situation. Can't remember if it was one or two fades. Pitt lost that game to Navy...

Go Pitt.

what great fans we have. where did this term pitting come from? meanwhile all teams blow games with regularity. the fact that it "happens" more to Pitt is a loser myth.

Those of you that think Wannstedt wouldn't throw in that situation are forgetting the Navy game in 2007. The link below will refresh your memory.

Bottom line...

4th and 2... in OT.... Navy had taken a 3 point lead on their turn in OT. Rather than kick the FG to force another OT, Wannstedt decided to go for the win.

Not only that.... despite Shady McCoy having racked up 165 yards on the day and Navy being unable to stop him... Wannstedt decided to try a fade pattern in the corner of the endzone.

*EXACTLY* as stupid as Pete Carroll last night.

Pete Carroll pulled a Wanny-vs-Navy-2007.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=272830221

If you are talking about the overtime game in 2007...you may recall Pitt ran Shady on first and second down...and it did not result in a touchdown...so obviously not quite the same, as the Seahawks passed on second down. Despite Pitt's defense having trouble with stopping Navy all game long--the coaching mistake made was not kicking the field goal on 4th down to send the game to triple overtime, IMHO. There were guys open on both 3rd [penalty would have negated a run or completion either way] and 4th down play...but unfortunately Bostick did not hit them. As much as I love Shady, he is/was no where near the beast that Lynch is/was in short yardage situations. Not nearly as controversial a call from my perspective...but just my opinion. Hail to Pitt!

Not really quite the same...as Pitt did in fact run Shady on first AND second down--and no touchdown. There was a penalty on third down, which would have negated the play regardless. The coaching mistake was not kicking the field goal to send it to the 3rd overtime on 4th down. And despite Shady being an awesome back, he is/was no Lynch in short yardage situations. Of course I'd trade Bostick for Wilson any day...and bet the game would have ended differently had that been the case:) Hail to Pitt!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT