ADVERTISEMENT

SEC schools expected to get $5M from SECNetwork this year

ThePanthers

Head Coach
May 4, 2009
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25075427/gamecocks-ad-says-schools-will-receive-5-million-from-sec-network

Originally posted by ThePanthers:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25075427/gamecocks-ad-says-schools-will-receive-5-million-from-sec-network
ESPN assumed all risk and already owned most of the content. The perceived small payout is not a surprise to me.

An ACC Network would be a similar venture with ESPN assuming all risk and already owning most of the content. I'd expect maybe a couple extra million per year from an ACCN.

Contrary to popular belief, the ACC isn't launching a network to "get rich," its doing so as a recruiting/exposure tool and also as a long-term investment so that they can make more money with it once they and ESPN go to a 2nd contract with it.

I think the payout is pretty decent, and from the USCjr AD, it was earlier than expected. ESPN does a great job.

You have guys like Clay Travis who just did crazy math and said the SEC would be getting around $25-30M per year from the start.

Then you had some people saying they would get anything until 3-5 years into the network.

Like everything, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. I just hope an ACCNetwork does come to fruition (which it sounds like) and it can be financially viable like the SECNetwork.

I had a fascinating conversation over a couple of beers with a friend who is a techie involved in sports promotion who is well connected in the emerging sports media world.

Bottomline is, he says that sports media delivery is going to change dramatically in the next few years, in ways many of us wouldn't have imagined. What a conference network is today, and what it may become in a few years, could be dramatically different. Their is a coming convergence of sports programming, social media/fantasy/gambling interactivity that will change things dramatically, and it will impact these networks.

A couple of things to think about. In-running gambling, where bets are placed all throughout a game, rather than before a game, is now in the billions of dollars for soccer and growing like a weed.

Anyone know about Twitch.tv? This is f'ing unbelievable. Really unbelievable. Its an online channel where people go to watch other people play video games. Sounds silly. But Amazon paid a billion dollars for it a few months ago. They have a 100 million unique viewers each month worldwide, and its thought to be early stage. The average viewing is 106 minutes! Sounds preposterous, but true. Twitch uses up more bandwidth by far than Amazon's video streaming service. They wanted to move twitch onto their platform, but they can't handle it, and the reverse may happen. My friend is convinced that Amazon will be streaming live sports on this platform within 3 years, with all sorts of interactivity attached.

Its really wild stuff, and I am sure the future of this stuff is being considered when putting these new sports networks together. The revenue that we think is possible today from them could change dramatically.

Totally agree with in-running wagering being the wave of the future. Many Las Vegas books now offer in play betting on every NFL and NBA game, as well as many college basketball/football and most soccer.

5 different spots in town now have phone apps as well, so once you set up an account you never have to leave your house to make a bet.

The rest of the world has been way, way ahead of us on this technology for years, finally Las Vegas is beginning to catch up. As noted above, touch screen wagering through your tv is on the horizon.

The troll claiming to be seanillerfan again demonstrates his hypocrisy. Just last week he was defending the hideous ACC hoops regional coverage as a great thing. Today he claims like a true clown that the ACC would want a cable network for exposure and not money. Hey, fraud, if the network they have today is so freaking wonderful as you boasted in your ridiculous rants last week why do the want this for exposure. The brown stuff from you is as deep as the ice on the rivers.

Swofford comments:

What are the prospects of an all-ACC network?

My answer to that really won't change for a while. We are taking a look at that with ESPN, who would be our partner in it. ESPN will be our partner through 2026-2027 regardless of how it's structured. We have the ability to do some things because of the quality of partner we have in ESPN. If we feel like that's the best route to go in the long term, we'll do that. And it's a join decision we'll make with ESPN.

What would make that the best route?

I think the keys are where you put your inventory, what the distribution would be, which ties directly to what the revenue would entail. How does that compare to the potential increase in rights fees we currently have? Our television package right now has great exposure and outstanding dollars. The question for us is, where's the growth potential? Is it better with an ACC channel that's 24/7 or with the model we have? It's a very important decision going forward with our league, and the good thing is, I don't think there's a wrong decision to be made. It's a question of, what's the better route to go?
This post was edited on 2/26 4:05 PM by TIGER-PAUL

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/colleg

I know in reality it takes time, but personally, GET THE THING DONE!!!!!!!!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by TIGER-PAUL:
Swofford comments:

What are the prospects of an all-ACC network?

My answer to that really won't change for a while. We are taking a look at that with ESPN, who would be our partner in it. ESPN will be our partner through 2026-2027 regardless of how it's structured. We have the ability to do some things because of the quality of partner we have in ESPN. If we feel like that's the best route to go in the long term, we'll do that. And it's a join decision we'll make with ESPN.

What would make that the best route?

I think the keys are where you put your inventory, what the distribution would be, which ties directly to what the revenue would entail. How does that compare to the potential increase in rights fees we currently have? Our television package right now has great exposure and outstanding dollars. The question for us is, where's the growth potential? Is it better with an ACC channel that's 24/7 or with the model we have? It's a very important decision going forward with our league, and the good thing is, I don't think there's a wrong decision to be made. It's a question of, what's the better route to go?

This post was edited on 2/26 4:05 PM by TIGER-PAUL
Nothing major, but David Teel tweeted last month that one of the AD's (VT's maybe) said that every report they get from ESPN on the ACCN is more and more positive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT