ADVERTISEMENT

Should Coach Tomlin Return?

Should Coach Tomlin Return Next Season

• Yes

Votes: 35 35.7%
  • No

Votes: 63 64.3%

• Total voters
I want to see a good argument for yes. He's won a playoff game in 4 of 17 seasons. He hasn't won a playoff game in 7 seasons. I'm not saying he's not a good coach, but it's time for a change for both sides.

For those unaware he can be traded but Tomlin would have to agree to it. It’s like trading a player with a no trade clause. And I also imagine it would be contingent upon agreeing on a contract extension.

But if he wants out my guess is that the Steelers will just let him go and not demand my compensation.

For those unaware he can be traded but Tomlin would have to agree to it. It’s like trading a player with a no trade clause. And I also imagine it would be contingent upon agreeing on a contract extension.

But if he wants out my guess is that the Steelers will just let him go and not demand my compensation.

Well if he walks away for a few years, we'll still own his rights. That could very extremely valuable if he decides to return to coaching. So I don't think I would just tear the contract up.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
I want to see a good argument for yes. He's won a playoff game in 4 of 17 seasons. He hasn't won a playoff game in 7 seasons. I'm not saying he's not a good coach, but it's time for a change for both sides.
I'm more concerned about what he has done lately, and I feel like he has overachieved the past couple years. He has had below average talent and achieved average results. I'm optimistic that if you give him above average talent, he can also overachieve and deliver a championship even in the absence of elite talent.

Now in my opinion, where the rubber meets the road is how much of a say does he have in personnel decisions? If he has a lot of say that thus has some responsibility for the below average talent, then maybe it is time to move on. But as a coach, I think his results are better than expected the past couple seasons.

I don't see how a trade is plausible. Smart agent will tell the club to f-off and fire Tomlin if they want rid of him and then try to trash the club after the fact.

Personally don't think the Steelers should give Tomlin an option. The series of lazy promotions and inability to capitalize on HOF talent has led to an epic streak of failures. No losing seasons....big deal. Think about it like this, the Steelers haven't won anything since Mason Rudolph was in middle school.

I'm more concerned about what he has done lately, and I feel like he has overachieved the past couple years. He has had below average talent and achieved average results. I'm optimistic that if you give him above average talent, he can also overachieve and deliver a championship even in the absence of elite talent.

My biggest issue is why we keep having below average talent. This has been said for the better part of the last five years. Either he's not bringing out the best in this talent (see Dotson, Weatherspoon, etc.) or he's not doing a good job of finding adequate talent. But I'm not about to keep giving him a pass for producing a so-so team with so-so, or less than so-so, talent. At some point you have to go get more talent. And I don't think that's entirely a GM issue. For as long as he's been a head coach, he definitely has some say in this.

He had elite talent (even a HOF QB) and struggled to get past the division round with them.

Now in my opinion, where the rubber meets the road is how much of a say does he have in personnel decisions? If he has a lot of say that thus has some responsibility for the below average talent, then maybe it is time to move on. But as a coach, I think his results are better than expected the past couple seasons.
He's a significant part of assembling that talent. He's also the same guy that watched Mitch Trubisky in practice and said he was better than Rudolph. He's the coach that played Kevin Dotson out of position and allowed James Harrison, LaGarrette Blount, and Melvin Ingram to pout their way out of Pittsburgh.

He had elite talent (even a HOF QB) and struggled to get past the division round with them.
Lol Brady > Roethlisberger all day everyday. Not even sure if he was better than Phillip Rivers
Tomlin actually won a super bowl with elite level talent, and made it to another one with that talent. Ben was not the same QB later in his career that he was during the early part.

Not sure how you can say he overachieved this year when they lost to two of the worst teams in the league with the playoffs on the line

He's a significant part of assembling that talent. He's also the same guy that watched Mitch Trubisky in practice and said he was better than Rudolph. He's the coach that played Kevin Dotson out of position and allowed James Harrison, LaGarrette Blount, and Melvin Ingram to pout their way out of Pittsburgh.
Do we know that? Does anyone know how responsible he was for say trading up to get Devin Bush, or was that all Colbert? And if Tomlin was responsible for that decision, then if I'm Art Rooney and during my meeting with Tomlin this week I say "listen Mike, we just hired new GMs last year and you are going to have to take a back seat to their personnel decisions," and Mike responds okay, then I would be okay with bringing him back. But I doubt Tomlin would agree to that sort of demotion.

Not sure how you can say he overachieved this year when they lost to two of the worst teams in the league with the playoffs on the line
The Steelers have 7-win, maybe 8-win talent IMO. Tomlin led them to 10 wins. That's an overachievement in my eyes.

Cowboys also lost to the Cards and the Cowboys supposedly have super bowl caliber talent on their roster. In the NFL, anyone can lose to anyone.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
The Steelers have 7-win, maybe 8-win talent IMO. Tomlin led them to 10 wins. That's an overachievement in my eyes.

Cowboys also lost to the Cards and the Cowboys supposedly have super bowl caliber talent on their roster. In the NFL, anyone can lose to anyone.
And they fired their coach or are going to

Wrong he only has to sit one year and can find a new team in 2025

Um, don't think that's correct. Every player I can recall who retired while under contract and then came back still had his rights owned by the team he signed the contract with. It doesn't magically null and void itself if you don't honor it.

I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

He only has 1 year left on his contract
There is no trade value
The value is that if a team wants him they don’t need to compete on the open market to sign him. All parties would need to come to terms of course and Tomlin and the new team would have to agree to a contract extension as I suggested above. And there’s value in that if Tomlin does want to walk away he can’t. He’d have to coach the final year. Until he does his rights remain with the Steelers.

I think he should stay until he provides definitive, unequivocal, unmistakable and irrefutable evidence that he will never again win a playoff game…..unless, of course, you believe that such evidence already exists.

Why wouldn’t a team simply wait 1 year and give up nothing?

Sean Payton signed a 5-year contract with the Saints in 2019. He walked away after 2021 with two years remaining on it. He sat out 2022 and returned with the Broncos last season, 2023, and the Saints got a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd. The Broncos had to negotiate with the Saints, because they still owned his rights. So if it were that easy, as someone suggested above, then yeah - I'd assume they would have done just that, instead of giving up three high draft picks.

If a team did want Tomlin, I guess they could wait it out and hope that he's just going to coach this final year on his contract while not negotiating a new one. But considering Washington and Carolina both just fired their coaches, that wouldn't be very good timing (i.e. it's not like they're going to hire a new coach one a one-year deal while they wait for Tomlin and hope he coaches in 2024 without signing a new contract).

Sean Payton signed a 5-year contract with the Saints in 2019. He walked away after 2021 with two years remaining on it. He sat out 2022 and returned with the Broncos last season, 2023, and the Saints got a 1st, 2nd, and a 3rd. The Broncos had to negotiate with the Saints, because they still owned his rights. So if it were that easy, as someone suggested above, then yeah - I'd assume they would have done just that, instead of giving up three high draft picks.

If a team did want Tomlin, I guess they could wait it out and hope that he's just going to coach this final year on his contract while not negotiating a new one. But considering Washington and Carolina both just fired their coaches, that wouldn't be very good timing (i.e. it's not like they're going to hire a new coach one a one-year deal while they wait for Tomlin and hope he coaches in 2024 without signing a new contract).
Not a chance he’d go to Carolina and work for Coach killer Tepper
He’d retire
He doesn’t need the money

Tomlin has a HEAVY HAND in obtaining that talent. Secondly, we have what the first or second highest paid defense and can't stop a nose bleed when they need it.

Tomlin is a good enough coach. He's an elite motivator and average at at in game management. Every coach has warts. You can win with him as HC.

His problem has always been the guys he hires. He's terrible at finding and hiring assistants. Get him some help, and get him to accept the help.

If not, you have to have the conversation about a possible trade or moving on after next year.

Not a chance he’d go to Carolina and work for Coach killer Tepper
He’d retire
He doesn’t need the money

Well they just gave up a bunch of picks to trade up for Young anyway, so I doubt they're in a position to be parting with more. I'm just throwing them is as an example (i.e. a team that just fired their coach would have to act now if they really wanted Tomlin that badly).

I don't see how a trade is plausible. Smart agent will tell the club to f-off and fire Tomlin if they want rid of him and then try to trash the club after the fact.

Personally don't think the Steelers should give Tomlin an option. The series of lazy promotions and inability to capitalize on HOF talent has led to an epic streak of failures. No losing seasons....big deal. Think about it like this, the Steelers haven't won anything since Mason Rudolph was in middle school.
Why cut off your nose to spite your face. The Steelers and Tomlin have a good relationship and if Tomlin would be agreeable to go to a certain team, why not try to take that team for some high draft picks. May not be doable but then again maybe it would be. But my guess is they sign him to a new 4 year deal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT