ADVERTISEMENT

Should the ACC just go ahead and add UConn?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
The basketball program brings a lot of value and it seems like UConn is going to get added eventually once FSU, Clemson, and others leave. Wouldn't it make sense to just add them now and maybe give them no football revenue for X amount of years (so more money for the FSU crybabies) but cut them in on an Notre Dame Basketball-like revenue distribution deal. So, like ND, they get bball revenue only for a good while.

Please no……their FB program is complete garbage….I gag thinking about having to watch Pitt play them in FB

I hear you but does it really matter? The ACC has 2 auto bids and will probably not be getting more than that so does it matter who we play? And UConn football wont be any worse than BC, Syr and others once they can start selling P4 football. And if they take no football revenue for 6-10 years, that's like $2 million more per year for Pitt, roughly. That's not nothing. And UConn basketball is a sell. Would be fun as heck having them come to the Pete or watching Duke/UConn, Syr/UConn.

I’d prefer Oregon State and Washington State.

Definitely not me. They dont add value in football. Neither does UConn but at least they have elite basketball and are in a good market in the footprint and have shown to be decent in football in their Big East days.

No. Basketball is not a deciding factor in P4 conference-building.

I get that but we are going to lose teams anyway. Who brings more value to a conference than UConn football/basketball especially if you can get UConn for free for 5-10 years.

I get that but we are going to lose teams anyway. Who brings more value to a conference than UConn football/basketball especially if you can get UConn for free for 5-10 years.
Reignite the old basketball rivalry and have what should be an automatic conference win in football. Why not? It's not like the other options are bringing any value in football anyway.

I think there’s a good chance them and USF get added to the ACC once Florida State, North Carolina, and others are allowed to leave for the Big Ten and SEC.

On a side note, it’s a shame South Florida didn’t make the type of investments they are right now in their program back when they were in the Big East.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
The basketball program brings a lot of value and it seems like UConn is going to get added eventually once FSU, Clemson, and others leave. Wouldn't it make sense to just add them now and maybe give them no football revenue for X amount of years (so more money for the FSU crybabies) but cut them in on an Notre Dame Basketball-like revenue distribution deal. So, like ND, they get bball revenue only for a good while.

ACC would still be more attractive than the B12.

I’d add them in an ND role as long as they are not included for FB and get no cut of FB $. Basically a really watered down ND deal.

Honestly - maybe ACC needs to try to be creative to generate more $ for our full members. Would adding UConn, Nova, Gtown, and whoever are deemed the next 2 most valuable BE members to the ACC for hoops to get to 20 teams be a good idea to add TV contract value? Like I said, if they keep the FB share separate it could be a win for all parties. A 20 team conference if current ACC + top 5 BE schools would have to generate some bigger TV $.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I’d add them in an ND role as long as they are not included for FB and get no cut of FB $. Basically a really watered down ND deal.

Honestly - maybe ACC needs to try to be creative to generate more $ for our full members. Would adding UConn, Nova, Gtown, and whoever are deemed the next 2 most valuable BE members to the ACC for hoops to get to 20 teams be a good idea to add TV contract value? Like I said, if they keep the FB share separate it could be a win for all parties. A 20 team conference if current ACC + top 5 BE schools would have to generate some bigger TV $.
Not for nothing, but what advantage would it be for UConn/Nova/Georgetown to leave the Big East for the ACC?

Not for nothing, but what advantage would it be for UConn/Nova/Georgetown to leave the Big East for the ACC?

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense at all.

If you want any chance of getting UConn to join, it would have to be as a full member. If all they are getting from the ACC is basketball money, they already get basketball money from the Big East. If they move to the ACC, it would be to get their football in a better situation, which doesn't happen if they don't get any money.

And why on earth would Villanova or Georgetown want a deal like that? It does nothing at all for either of those two schools.

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense at all.

If you want any chance of getting UConn to join, it would have to be as a full member. If all they are getting from the ACC is basketball money, they already get basketball money from the Big East. If they move to the ACC, it would be to get their football in a better situation, which doesn't happen if they don't get any money.

And why on earth would Villanova or Georgetown want a deal like that? It does nothing at all for either of those two schools.

UConn gets close to nothing with their football TV deal with CBS. And they get no CFP money. So, hypocritically, UConn would still make more in the ACC taking no football money because the ACC basketball money is slightly more. They'd take an SMU-like no revenue deal if they can still get bball money.

6 Natty's in 25 years in incredible. They are a national basketball brand. No, they dont make the ACC much extra money but the ACC is going to lose teams anyway. Make them an SMU-type deal and add them. ESPN has to add to the contract pro-rata so what's that, like an extra $30 million/year? Let UConn keep 20% for basketball so that's $6 million. Then the $24 million per year gets split between the 14 pre-expansion football schools. Getting an extra $1.75 million per year per school to add UConn is worth it.

I doubt they’d leave the BE because Hurley is happy and they’re rolling.

The only reason they are keeping their football program D1 is the hope they can land in a good conference. Of course, they'd leave a non-football league for a football league whose basketball is as good or better.

I suppose if the ACC does not take UConn the Big 12 would.

If the ACC DID take Uconn it would further show as a basketball conference first that is lucky enough to have 2 football playoff bids.

FSU needs to shut up… Judge just shut down their suit with ACC… they aren’t going to be as good this season… and still no conference has reached out as far as I know …. A bunch of Buddy Garritys on that BOT at that school I swear.

The only thing that matters is eyeballs, and UConn would bring lots of NY and Connecticut eyeballs in both sports! Don,t forget woman’s BB as well. BC would fight it, for me UConn would grow into and extended back yard rivalry with BC and Cuse. Do it now!

The only reason they are keeping their football program D1 is the hope they can land in a good conference. Of course, they'd leave a non-football league for a football league whose basketball is as good or better.
I agree, but not for no TV money like you said previously.

The only thing that matters is eyeballs, and UConn would bring lots of NY and Connecticut eyeballs in both sports! Don,t forget woman’s BB as well. BC would fight it, for me UConn would grow into and extended back yard rivalry with BC and Cuse. Do it now!
Uconn would bring nothing from nyc in footballl nothing. It is the ultimate pro town

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Reignite the old basketball rivalry and have what should be an automatic conference win in football. Why not? It's not like the other options are bringing any value in football anyway.

It’s just like the end stage Big East. Fine if we are headed to a new conference but no good if it is permanent.

I agree, but not for no TV money like you said previously.

UConn has to be making very close to $0 with their CBSSN football deal. You offer them $0 for football and cut them in with an ND-like Bball deal and they wouldn't say no.

UConn has to be making very close to $0 with their CBSSN football deal. You offer them $0 for football and cut them in with an ND-like Bball deal and they wouldn't say no.

First you say they would accept $6 million per year, then you say that they would accept a Notre Dame deal, which, incidentally, was worth a little over $17 million in the last year we have the numbers for.

The fact that you don't know that those two things are that different says all that needs to be said.

Not only should the ACC not invite UConn but should get rid of Syracuse, Boston College, Louisville, Stanford, California, SMU, and Notre Dame (unless the football program joins which isn't going to happen).

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
The ACC as it is known today will be dead in a couple years. Duke, BC, Wake and Cuse can join UConn and a bunch of other BB schools in some configuration at that time. Pitt won't be a part of that stupidity again though. We learned from the BE fiasco.

The ACC as it is known today will be dead in a couple years. Duke, BC, Wake and Cuse can join UConn and a bunch of other BB schools in some configuration at that time. Pitt won't be a part of that stupidity again though. We learned from the BE fiasco.
Who says we learned?? We will end up with some of those you cited. We're not a Land Grant herd in a farm area. Those are more like us than the grownup ag schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT