ADVERTISEMENT

So the Rooneys want to host a Super Bowl

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Pittsburgh is not an attractive enough destination like NYC to offset the cold weather and potential below zero temperatures. But, if they were to have a retractable dome stadium................

"Hey, Allegheny County, we wanted to bring you a Super Bowl but they wouldn't agree to come to Heinz Field." It begins, folks.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
I seem to remember that there is a temporary way to throw steel cables over the stadium and create a canopy like in the corner exits. When I heard this in the planning stages, I wondered why it wasn't just in the original plans and have a hole in the top like old Dallas Cowboy Stadium.

In my opinion as a Pitt Fan, we would only see upgrades to the Stadium that would pay rewards. We would likely see Field Turf installed and Heinz becomes a true venue that could be swapped out to look like a Home Field whenever we want.

I hope it happens for the region.

Pittsburgh is not an attractive enough destination like NYC to offset the cold weather and potential below zero temperatures. But, if they were to have a retractable dome stadium................

"Hey, Allegheny County, we wanted to bring you a Super Bowl but they wouldn't agree to come to Heinz Field." It begins, folks.
70K seats may be too small.. Let's build that 150K indoor place in Crammedberry. We could attract other snoozefests, like soccer or cross-stitching. Just think of all those Babushkas working away....show some Hallmark Channel Christmas movies, or Lassie reruns.

This is one time that I agree with the Rooneys. Since they've now agreed to let northern cities host the Super Bowl, then why shouldn't Pittsburgh get the opportunity to make those millions? If da Burgh get da Bowl, they will make sure that there will be plenty of attractive things to do for those two weeks - they'll just be indoors.

Reactions: RobBliz
Love to see it. Pitt is tied to Heinz and that location. The Steelers might inevitably leave for the burbs but can't possibly see Pitt straying any further (it's argued ... BS or not ... too onerous a trip now for the students). How could Pitt follow the Steelers all the way to Washington County? Forget Sweet Caroline; the students would be leaving after the national anthem in panic to get back!

Oakland is not an option for our own place (please either repeat that a billion times, or s donate a billion dollars with a "campus stadium" stipulation). It's Heinz or bust for Pitt for a long time to come IMO. It may be called Pat Narduzzi Field at Gallagher Park at some point (heaven willing). But unless the Steelers would muscle their way to clear just-developed space on the NS for another adjacent replacement, Pitt WILL be in Heinz one way or another. Way past 2023. So if the Steelers WOULD secure a SB and that is still their stadium by then, at least it would guarantee continuous upgrades will be made up to then.

Love to see it. Pitt is tied to Heinz and that location. The Steelers might inevitably leave for the burbs but can't possibly see Pitt straying any further (it's argued ... BS or not ... too onerous a trip now for the students). How could Pitt follow the Steelers all the way to Washington County? Forget Sweet Caroline; the students would be leaving after the national anthem in panic to get back!

Oakland is not an option for our own place (please either repeat that a billion times, or s donate a billion dollars with a "campus stadium" stipulation). It's Heinz or bust for Pitt for a long time to come IMO. It may be called Pat Narduzzi Field at Gallagher Park at some point (heaven willing). But unless the Steelers would muscle their way to clear just-developed space on the NS for another adjacent replacement, Pitt WILL be in Heinz one way or another. Way past 2023. So if the Steelers WOULD secure a SB and that is still their stadium by then, at least it would guarantee continuous upgrades will be made up to then.
Upgrades??? UPGRADES??? You can't polish a turd.

I definitely am hoping the Rooneys lobby for a new stadium in the next decade. That would be good news for Pitt, I think. If they build it in the suburbs, we could probably get a sweetheart deal to buy Heinz Field. We could then replace the yellow seats, and eliminate some seating to make it more cozy. However, the cost to buy Heinz plus the renovation fees together wouldn't be cheap. Easily more than $100 million. By this time though Temple will have a new on-campus stadium and the DC United MLS team will be playing in a new downtown stadium after the city paid $130 million to buy up land and buildings to knock down for them to build their stadium. Those 2 things (buying up expensive property to raze in DC's case and Temple getting a stadium) combined with the Steelers moving would put enough pressure on Pitt to build an on-campus stadium.

I definitely am hoping the Rooneys lobby for a new stadium in the next decade. That would be good news for Pitt, I think. If they build it in the suburbs, we could probably get a sweetheart deal to buy Heinz Field. We could then replace the yellow seats, and eliminate some seating to make it more cozy. However, the cost to buy Heinz plus the renovation fees together wouldn't be cheap. Easily more than $100 million. By this time though Temple will have a new on-campus stadium and the DC United MLS team will be playing in a new downtown stadium after the city paid $130 million to buy up land and buildings to knock down for them to build their stadium. Those 2 things (buying up expensive property to raze in DC's case and Temple getting a stadium) combined with the Steelers moving would put enough pressure on Pitt to build an on-campus stadium.
LOL.....a few dominoes in there....and there is NO FREAKING ROOM IN OAKLAND.

LOL.....a few dominoes in there....and there is NO FREAKING ROOM IN OAKLAND.

Yea. That's why the wrecking ball was invented. You'll learn. I just said land and building were being bought for $130 million knocked down in DC to make room for DC United. Stuff like that happens.

Steelers bid for a super bowl and now Steelers are moving to Washington country and Pitt is getting an on campus stadium. Some leap of faith there.

Sorry Sean, but if the Steelers ever left for the suburbs Heinz would be demolished and cleared for future development.

Yea. That's why the wrecking ball was invented. You'll learn. I just said land and building were being bought for $130 million knocked down in DC to make room for DC United. Stuff like that happens.
I'll learn absolutely NOTHING from you. Pitt's not interested in your wetdr....err, dreams. Fiscally dumb...and Gallagher isn't dumb. I loathe HF, but once we razed Pitt Stadium, on-campus football is just an asterisk for Pitt football.

Keep the super bowl in warm weather. This crap about playing the game in the "elements" is dumb. Its a game and a weeklong party leading up to it. No one wants to party far a week in February in Pittsburgh or any other northern city, new York included.

Reactions: pierre93
Keep the super bowl in warm weather. This crap about playing the game in the "elements" is dumb. Its a game and a weeklong party leading up to it. No one wants to party far a week in February in Pittsburgh or any other northern city, new York included.
Exactly. Those who had to suffer going to Detroit for the recent Steelers SB were greatly bummed. The height of ridiculous to have a SB there, even with a dome. There's a reason why the Little Caesars bowl is there and not the Rose Bowl.

Steelers fans being what they are, are hyped at the thought of having the SB in Pgh because they envision the Steelers being in it (as they envision happening every year, even years when Gordy Laukbaum is the best player). They wouldn't be so warm to the idea of God-forbit the Patriots or Ravens in it here.

Unless the rooneys bring the stadium money to the table, getting a stadium built outside of heinz by 2023 is a complete joke. Not because of the construction but because of the politics involved. Hard to justify a new steelers stadium when it is less than 20 years old.

I'd be all for it, but I wouldn't want to go. It would be overcrowded and micromanaged and NAzi security herding people like sheep into long lines for $22 beers, no thanks. I'll watch on TV. If they do have another northern outdoor Super Bowl, I'm hoping for a blizzard though.

Hotel Rooms very important and Pittsburgh not in the Top 50, even Columbus, Ohio has more?

Yet, Peduto is behind it Big Time to bring millions into Pittsburgh Tourists, Hotel, Restaurants, Transportation Businesses, and he still does nothing to bring Penn State and Pitt together and he went to both schools?

The NFL has a "basic" requirement of 30,000 "quality" hotel rooms within a 90-minute drive of the stadium and 70,000 Seat Stadium!

Philadelphia just increased their Hotel Room Tax to 8.5% to prepare for the Democratic Convention and other Big Events coming to the city of Brotherly Love!

Still, the Rooneys have clout in the NFL and Goodell is not the most popular Commish these days?

I'd be all for it, but I wouldn't want to go. It would be overcrowded and micromanaged and NAzi security herding people like sheep into long lines for $22 beers, no thanks. I'll watch on TV. If they do have another northern outdoor Super Bowl, I'm hoping for a blizzard though.
Well, I don't usually watch that mess, anyway. Butts in those hideous yellow seats but no $$ goes to Pitt.

Well, I don't usually watch that mess, anyway. Butts in those hideous yellow seats but no $$ goes to Pitt.
:rolleyes:Time to ask Peduto if he wants to help Pittsburgh get millions in 2023 with the Super Bowl why not include a Penn State-Pitt Graduate Mayor bring a million every other year to Pittsburgh and Pitt by negotiating a return of the PITT-PSU series with the Mayor-Steelers Super Bowl Committee Efforts too? ;)

Hotel Rooms very important and Pittsburgh not in the Top 50, even Columbus, Ohio has more?

Yet, Peduto is behind it Big Time to bring millions into Pittsburgh Tourists, Hotel, Restaurants, Transportation Businesses, and he still does nothing to bring Penn State and Pitt together and he went to both schools?

The NFL has a "basic" requirement of 30,000 "quality" hotel rooms within a 90-minute drive of the stadium and 70,000 Seat Stadium!

Philadelphia just increased their Hotel Room Tax to 8.5% to prepare for the Democratic Convention and other Big Events coming to the city of Brotherly Love!

Still, the Rooneys have clout in the NFL and Goodell is not the most popular Commish these days?
The lack of hotel space in Metro Pittsburgh has proven to be a fiancial opportunity for many. The PAC just announced a 10 story hotel in Oakland and a friend of mine moved here from NJ several years ago and does nothing but design hotels.

I think a renovated Heinz to fit Pitt's needs. Along with extending the "T" service to Oakland would be more than acceptable. I think getting the "T" extended to Oakland really should be Pitt's #1 goal.

The lack of hotel space in Metro Pittsburgh has proven to be a fiancial opportunity for many. The PAC just announced a 10 story hotel in Oakland and a friend of mine moved here from NJ several years ago and does nothing but design hotels.
This may be the reason why Rooney's put in for 2023, 8 years from now, as more Hotels are being built. They are building one at Robinson Center too. Pittsburgh borders on that 30,000 capacity 90 minutes from the Stadium and add seats this year. I would expect more to come as you point out!

God. The T to Oakland. Maglev from Monroeville to the airport. The pittsburgh legend

There is nothing I hate worse than when a poster calls another poster a name attempting to put them down. However, if you can't see how Pitt and UPMC would benefit from the expansion of the "T" into Oakland. I just don't no what to say? Anyone who travels outside of Pittsburgh to NYC, Boston knows the benefits of a great public transit system. The Neanderthal thinking of people in this region is astonishing.

If the Steelers get a Super Bowl(which I think they'll get) Heinz would get tons of upgrades and more seats added to the open end. The idea of the Rooney's moving to their version of Jerryworld is crazy, first the state isn't going to give them anywhere near enough to build it, second even if the state gave them money the Rooney's and the other owners don't have $500 to $700 million to kick into the project and third once the Chargers, Raiders and/or Rams move back to LA there's no more "We'll move to LA if you don't give us money" scam so many NFL owners used.

Outside of the weather Pittsburgh could be a great Super Bowl host.

NFL Experience and radio row at the convention center.
NFL VIP's, media and corporate big spenders at the downtown hotels.
The museums, aviary, science center and Phipps Conservatory to host all the fancy shindigs the NFL puts on.
More than enough clubs and restaurants for all of the events geared towards the younger crowd.
AFC Champs would practice at the UPMC Practice facility and stay at the new Hyatt in Oakland.
NFC Champs would practice at RMU and stay at a hotel near the airport.
Pregame events at PNC Park and Stage AE.

1. Other than yellow seats and terrible grass, Heinz is a great venue.

2. Pittsburgh should try to get the draft. Much more likely than a Super Bowl IMO.

The Yellow seats look great in a completely empty stadium especially at night

The stadium looks fine full.

Where it looks like shit is when it is half full because the seats make it look more empty. Thats why we (Pitt fans) do not seem to like it yet we (Steeler fans) do. We (Pitt fans again) need to fill it. And we know that we (Pitt football) can probably only get there consistently with a winner

The T to Oakland would be fantastic, you'd think with the 20 hositals in Oakland and half the students commuting, it would be a no brainer but I guess not. Think there was a study done on extending the T up to Cranberry.. Cost estimates were ridiculous.. Would make much more sense going east.. Being a South Hills resident, having the T is fantastic.. Can go from Downtown to South Park/Library in under 25 minutes.. Riding the bus is miserable..

There is nothing I hate worse than when a poster calls another poster a name attempting to put them down. However, if you can't see how Pitt and UPMC would benefit from the expansion of the "T" into Oakland. I just don't no what to say? Anyone who travels outside of Pittsburgh to NYC, Boston knows the benefits of a great public transit system. The Neanderthal thinking of people in this region is astonishing.
Anyone who travels from Oakland to downtown knows how effective the bus system is. It's not a bad journey. Bus travel just gets a bad rap. Look at what it cost to build the metro out in DC further into the Virginia suburbs. The Silver Line expansion ended up costing around $3 billion to build stations and tracks in the suburbs. It would cost a fortune to build a downtown to Oakland T line. For what? To shave a couple minutes off a pretty smooth journey? No thanks.

The future is in the bus rapid transit and more dedicated bus lanes and expressways to let buses basically operate like trains for a fraction of the cost.

You can't compare Pittsburgh to Boston, NYC, DC, or any other American city with great public transportation because the sizes are so different and Pittsburgh's hills make things a lot harder.

Anyone who travels from Oakland to downtown knows how effective the bus system is. It's not a bad journey. Bus travel just gets a bad rap. Look at what it cost to build the metro out in DC further into the Virginia suburbs. The Silver Line expansion ended up costing around $3 billion to build stations and tracks in the suburbs. It would cost a fortune to build a downtown to Oakland T line. For what? To shave a couple minutes off a pretty smooth journey? No thanks.

The future is in the bus rapid transit and more dedicated bus lanes and expressways to let buses basically operate like trains for a fraction of the cost.

You can't compare Pittsburgh to Boston, NYC, DC, or any other American city with great public transportation because the sizes are so different and Pittsburgh's hills make things a lot harder.
The Rooney Tunnel cost about $600 million. The real problem is that there is basically no transit to the East, North or West. The South Hills was the first big suburban growth area, so the trolleys went there, but nothing elsewhere. Coming from Philly, I was shocked at how bad transit is, here.
I will say that locals have no idea about the traffic, here. Spend some time on the East or West coasts and you'll appreciate our little hamlet with the hills, bridges & tunnels.

The Rooney Tunnel cost about $600 million. The real problem is that there is basically no transit to the East, North or West. The South Hills was the first big suburban growth area, so the trolleys went there, but nothing elsewhere. Coming from Philly, I was shocked at how bad transit is, here.
I will say that locals have no idea about the traffic, here. Spend some time on the East or West coasts and you'll appreciate our little hamlet with the hills, bridges & tunnels.
I completely agree that public transportation is a problem here, but it's one of those things that won't change without billions of dollars now. We made our bed.

Oakland to downtown is the most efficient section of Port Authority, and I'm excited to see the BRT system put into place soon. It's had great success in Cleveland of all places and really rejuventated the area that it passed through. If uptown/Hill District can get even some new life, everyone in the city wins.

Rich people from around the world in expensive clothing eating primantis at the super bowl…….yeah I can see that happening
Even more so if they happen to be wearing Ravens, Patriots or ... dare suggest Browns garb.

Yinzers excited at the prospect are mainly enticed by the thought of the Steelers being in it. Cuz, the Steelers ALWAYS SHOULD be in it, right?

I will grant we're in it at least as much as most, but odds are still against it ... and at least as good that hated enemies like Baltimore or NE will be. We'll see how cordial Pittsburghers are THEN.

Even more so if they happen to be wearing Ravens, Patriots or ... dare suggest Browns garb.

Yinzers excited at the prospect are mainly enticed by the thought of the Steelers being in it. Cuz, the Steelers ALWAYS SHOULD be in it, right?

I will grant we're in it at least as much as most, but odds are still against it ... and at least as good that hated enemies like Baltimore or NE will be. We'll see how cordial Pittsburghers are THEN.

The Super Bowl should rotate between (in order): New Orleans, Miami, San Diego and maybe Tampa. You could rotate in a 5th city every so often such as Phoenix, LA, Dallas or Atlanta. It really should never be played anywhere else and has no business in Pittsburgh. Kind of like how the US Open and British Open don't really belong outside of their core rotation venues with an exception thrown in every once in a while.

Anyone who attended the Super Bowl in Detroit/Indy/Minneapolis would tell you that while there were positives (which did not include the weather), it's not the same as being on Bourbon St or South Beach for a big event.

The Super Bowl should rotate between (in order): New Orleans, Miami, San Diego and maybe Tampa. You could rotate in a 5th city every so often such as Phoenix, LA, Dallas or Atlanta. It really should never be played anywhere else and has no business in Pittsburgh. Kind of like how the US Open and British Open don't really belong outside of their core rotation venues with an exception thrown in every once in a while.

Anyone who attended the Super Bowl in Detroit/Indy/Minneapolis would tell you that while there were positives (which did not include the weather), it's not the same as being on Bourbon St or South Beach for a big event.
Agreed. People think it's all about the actual game being in a controlled environment. While that's a factor, you don't understand just how much there is to do at a Super Bowl besides the game.

All the parties have to be inside in the north. All of the fan zone activities have to be inside. All of the city-specific sightseeing has to be inside. NYC wasn't bad for this because of the entertainment, other sporting events, and museums. I know Pittsburgh isn't NYC, but what would you want to do for an ideal week in Pittsburgh. Strip District, South Side, some water-related event like kayaking, incline and walk around Mt. Washington, etc. All of those are a PITA or impossible to do in February but great times in the summer. Sign us up for the MLB All-Star game or even the NHL, people are expecting cold for that.

To top it all off, even if the weather is immaculate, Heinz isn't very nice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT