ADVERTISEMENT

Some Random Thoughts

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
Really thought this was a possibility, but wasn't going to go there for the opener. The Citadel had lost two of their top scorers to transfer. Figured it would be ugly, but just didn't think that outcome would actually be possible. These games can happen, even to really good teams. We see it every year. We have seen it with this program over the years. This was different. This was not just one of those games. There was nothing fluky about it. In these type of matchups, they can always get tricky for certain players because of the styles. For example, sometimes players like Dejuan Blair would struggle a bit because these small schools don't normally present a center or power player. They will stretch you out and provide unique looks. There is some of that at play. Unfortunately, that is just not the case.

This team can't shoot. Ithiel Horton was about the only consistent outside threat, and he is out of the picture. That is what is so terrifying. It was playing with fire before the suspension. Now you have to figure that him and Horton are done. Burton will help a lot, but he is not an outside shooter. Teams are going to pack in defenses and force them to shoot the ball. Odukale is really good at penetrating, but the spacing is going to shrink each game. Pitt's two best players need space to operate and score. Without a shooting threat, that space is going to be removed.

I keep going back to this, but the roster is just a bunch of guys. What I mean by that is there doesn't seem to be a theme. There is finally a center now, but the best programs recruit to a fit. Are you trying to space the floor with shooters? Are you building a defensive team? A team of penetrators that attack in transition? It is year four and I am still not sure what the big picture plan is, or what they want to do. Some of it is probably a product of the recruiting, but you can still recruit to a goal/vision, and not necessarily rankings and stars. It is just so hard to build a team without shooters.

Which leads me to the free throw shooting topic. This will probably be a theme all year. Sometimes you see a player that isn't a good shooter that can make free throws. But that is the exception. I believe that shooters are shooters, and that is the case whether it is from 5, 10, 20 feet, etc.

The postgame press conference was quite concerning to me. Watched it twice and I just don't get a good vibe. It feels like Capel is just beaten down. He does not look happy at all. I know that there is no way to be happy after that performance, but I think you can understand what I mean. He has been beaten down for a while now. I don't know if some of the answers are just given in general fashion to just get out of there or not. But saying things like "we need guys to be better" is not exactly what I would want to hear. The time for that is not now. Sure guys will get better with playing time, but there is also a valid question of how much better can guys get in this environment. I know that you are down three significant players and Hugley has not played in a long time. But just felt like they weren't ready.

Which leads to the bigger issue. The lack of energy and excitement in the program is symbolic of the thoughts around the city and within the fanbase right now. I speak to a lot of different Pitt fans every day. At work, socially, etc. All different levels too, from casual to big time boosters. The overall feeling is about as bad as I can remember. I've had several people that are quite invested in Pitt and its program tell me that they aren't even going to a game this year. At times, this program generated almost as much interest as the Steelers and Penguins in this town. Now there are people that were obsessed with Pitt basketball that won't even turn the game on Friday night.

Let me say that this is not all Capel's fault. This started years ago at the end of Dixon's tenure and how that went. We all know how things went with Stallings. So that all contributes to the current state as well. But at some point you have to get past that. There are no more excuses to give. This thing needs to be built back on the floor. We hear a lot of the right things, like brick by brick and culture. All of that. The problem is, this looks like year one of a brutal rebuild but it shouldn't be. There is no rebuilding of anything and it is year 4.

I am truly worried how bad this could get. This team is going to Morgantown on Friday. That is terrifying. The thought of what attendance will look like this season is terrifying. The weather is only getting worse. Take blame out of it, it is REALLY difficult to get out of a hole like this. We have all seen it. It is hard enough to build a program with positive conditions. When it gets like this, it is nearly impossible. The issue is where we are in this process. What are you hanging your hat on? What has been established? I think the thought of Femi playing with Mintz and Hugley is about it at the moment. The problem is, all of this builds on top of everything else. Each loss. It gets harder and harder to get out of. Legitimate issues become irrelevant because everyone is just so exhausted. So even when things like a torn ACL happen, no one cares. It is built up frustration that leads to exhaustion.

We all know that this is going to be a tough season. I have no idea what the future holds or how this will go. There is a lot of anger and frustration because people still care. More than you even think. It can all come back to this program. The only questions are when and who leads it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News