ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts on the OC

pschaum98

Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2020
First of all whipple is officially gone and now we need a new oc. With the success of this past season the transfer portal could be a huge asset. The team will be looking transfers on offense mainly at wr and qb (rumors are entire oline could be back warren is only one in doubt so no oline help needed). The issue is the offensive coaching staff is currently a mystery. The OC and Qb coach just resigned, and Brennan Marion the wr coach also seems likely to move as well. With Marion it is clear he wants to be an OC and if that is not at Pitt I believe he will go elsewhere to be the OC next year and i am basing this on constant reports throwing his name around for job opening of this nature. So With significant turnover potentially happening on the staff recruiting transfers could become difficult leading to the need for Narduzzi to make a hire or at least have a deal in place with a candidate quickly. I believe the best option would be coach Marion. He is a fast rising coach and is currently a great asset and hiring him would decrease the turnover on the offensive staff. As we have seen in the past with Narduzzi their are usually a few things he follows when hiring an OC. These would be past connections to him. Experienced play callers , and coaches who will likely be on staff for multiple seasons. With Marion he marks all 3. the only issue is his playcalling experience is only 3 seasons and it was at a lower level. Outside of Marion im not sure who would be candidates. I have seen Joe Brady, Chris Beatty and Luke Getsy thrown around as potential hires but im not sure about them fitting narduzzi's criteria. Beatty has no playcalling experience, Getsy has 3 seasons of experience playcalling but only 1 at the P5 level and Brady only has 2 seasons of playcalling and his offenses underachieved leading to his firing. With his past hires Chaney had 12 years experience as OC, Canada had 8 years OC experience, Watson had 11 years OC experience, and whipple had 6 years as OC and 17 years as HC where he most likely called plays. Im not sure who would fit the experience criteria that Narduzzi has gone with in the past so most names ive seen would be unlikely unless he changes his OC hiring philosophy but one thing he cannot do is follow his previous hiring pattern of waiting til after the coaching conference in january to find an OC. If he does the transfer market will most likely be fairly dry of top talent for offense and if Marion is not the choice a WR coach is most likely needed as well and losing Marion could lead to wr transfers will alot of uncertainty around the qb position OC and wr coach all gone

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News