ADVERTISEMENT

Spring camp report: 3/15/2015 - Camp opens

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
The Pat Narduzzi era hit the on-field stage Sunday as the Pitt football team opened spring camp 2015. Per NCAA rules, the Panthers practiced without any pads - only shorts, jerseys and helmets - but the attire was the least compelling element of Sunday's session.

Rather, Sunday's workout gave an opportunity for a first look at Narduzzi's approach. Every head coach and coaching staff has a different way of running a team, and while much of that happens behind closed doors, each staff usually has some defining characteristics that reveal themselves on the practice field.

A lot of that will emerge over the next four weeks, but we got a glimpse on Sunday.

For starters, there's Narduzzi, and true to his word, he was the CEO of practice. During the seven practice periods that were open to media observation, he never got too involved with any one position group; rather, he generally occupied the middle of the field and turned, shifting his focus from one position to the next.

Most of his time - from what I saw - was on the defensive half of the field, which is to be expected, and he occasionally offered a word or a suggestion to players that ran past him. But he presented himself as a CEO, the coach who coaches the coaches, and that was one of his two primary roles on Sunday.

"Just be a head coach and move around and just plug up holes," he said after practice. "See if I can make myself useful. Just use a little bit of knowledge."

Narduzzi's other primary role: recruiter. And that's what he did a lot on Sunday. While the coaches were working through individual drills, Narduzzi was working his way through the pretty impressive group of recruits in attendance (check out the list here), spending one-on-one time with each of the top targets.

Quite frankly, that's what a head coach should do during practice: observe what's going on, take notes and talk with recruits. He doesn't need to ignore what's happening on the field, but he'll spend a lot of time watching film after practice, so while the prospects are standing on the sidelines watching drills - which aren't always exciting - the head coach should be maximizing that opportunity, and that's what Narduzzi did.

On different occasions, I saw Narduzzi talking individually with Cameron Brown, among others. Getting those recruits to visit for practice is a big step, and Narduzzi took advantage of it.

- During the open media window, there wasn't a lot of compelling action to observe. That window featured some special teams work, some stretching and a whole lot of position drills. But early on, we got a glimpse of each unit - offense and defense - lining up, and that gave at least a glimpse of what the first and second teams look like.

Now, there's obviously a huge disclaimer that this was a walk-through lineup on the first day of spring camp, but here's what stuck out:

- The offensive line was what we expected. From left to right: Adam Bisnowaty, Dorian Johnson, Artie Rowell, Alex Bookser and Jaryd Jones-Smith. Rowell will be limited this spring, and he wore an orange vest - let's call it the PennDOT vest - which indicates he probably shouldn't be touched (Zach Poker, who is also coming off injury, wore one as well).

Alex Officer rotated in with the first team, although during some later full-unit drills, he was the top center while Rowell was on the sidelines.

- The defensive line was a little more interesting, as the top pair of ends appears to be Rori Blair and Ejuan Price. That seems like a slightly undersized pairing to me, but I was reminded today that Price is pretty strong, and not just for a guy his size. Prior to his injury last year, coaches and teammates would talk about how he was one of the strongest players on the team. So if he can stay healthy, he might have the strength to hold up as a run-stuffer.

Obviously what's interesting about that is that Shakir Soto, who started all 13 games last season, seemed to be in the second pairing. Again, we're talking about early-practice walk-throughs on the first day of spring camp, but that's how they lined up. Soto's mate on the second line was redshirt freshman Hez Trahan, and Zach Poker was also in the mix there, although he is rehabbing from injury.

There weren't many surprises at defensive tackle, where Khaynin Mosley-Smith and Darryl Render lined up on the top unit and Tyrique Jarrett and Justin Moody were behind them.

- We talked a lot about the linebackers and how five of the eight scholarship linebackers were listed at middle linebacker in the spring prospectus. I figured that number would shift, and the first noticeable shift on Sunday was Reggie Green moving to outside linebacker.

Green worked on the second unit of linebackers; Jamal Davis was the other outside linebacker and Mike Caprara was in the middle. I have to say, Davis looks like he can be a beast. He obviously has to master the defense and learn the ins and outs of the outside linebacker position, but he sure does look the part physically. He passes the eye test, without a doubt.

The top unit of linebackers was what we expected: Matt Galambos in the middle with Bam Bradley and Nicholas Grigsby flanking him.

- The top cornerbacks appeared to be Lafayette Pitts and Avonte Maddox (again, as expected), while it looked like Pat Amara was lining up next to Reggie Mitchell at safety, with Terrish Webb and Jevonte Pitts behind them. I think the safety spots are up for grabs, but there are some impressive-looking players. Amara is built like a linebacker (maybe a bit thin), and Webb looks like he has added some upper-body muscle.

- Of course, those things probably did shift during the 11-on-11 team periods that weren't open to the media; depth chart shifts are normal during those periods. But the focus right now is on installation (Chad Voytik said they were so early in their offensive installation that they haven't put any quarterback runs in yet), fundamentals (Narduzzi said he'd be looking for those things on film) and practice energy.

That last point is one to highlight, since there's certainly some extra energy with this staff. Recruits noticed it, the players mentioned it and a few people I talked to who watched the entire practice observed it as well. The intensity level is higher, and that's the case pretty much throughout the coaching staff. Narduzzi is a walking ball of energy. Offensive coordinator Jim Chaney seems like a lively personality (Voytik said Chaney makes it fun). Defensive coordinator Josh Conklin has some intensity to his on-field demeanor, as does his former FIU colleague, linebackers coach Rob Harley, who matches intensity with a pretty clear sense of purpose.

This is an energetic group, and while there wasn't any music playing on Sunday - a practice Paul Chryst put in place over the last year or two - there was definite pep in the session.

We'll learn a lot more about this staff and this team over the next five weeks, but those were some of the things that stuck out on Day One.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News