ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford's McCaffrey is Skipping the Sun Bowl

Very smart. The bowl games mean nothing and these kids only risk their future.
Like I said... it is smart on McCaffrey's part..... but the NCAA better come up with a solution for this, because their already meaningless bowl games will get that much more meaningless.

And another factor to consider. Las Vegas. Lots of people made bets on Stanford which, until this announcement, was a 3.5 point favorite. This will move the line substantially...enough to make UNC the favorite now. If this kind of stuff keeps happening, Vegas won't be very happy.... and when Vegas isn't happy, changes get made. Bank on that.

Like I said... it is smart on McCaffrey's part..... but the NCAA better come up with a solution for this, because their already meaningless bowl games will get that much more meaningless.

And another factor to consider. Las Vegas. Lots of people made bets on Stanford which, until this announcement, was a 3.5 point favorite. This will move the line substantially...enough to make UNC the favorite now. If this kind of stuff keeps happening, Vegas won't be very happy.... and when Vegas isn't happy, changes get made. Bank on that.
Ok, so start paying the players their market value or at least paying them increased stipends and covering them for injury.

Reactions: Ski11585
It fits perfectly with American values... Getting PAID is the only thing that matters.

Ok, so start paying the players their market value or at least paying them increased stipends and covering them for injury.
Don't be surprised if the NCAA starts looking into that kind of thing.

Especially if this becomes an epidemic.

It fits perfectly with American values... Getting PAID is the only thing that matters.
Yes.... and the NCAA wants to continue to "get paid" as well.

As do the bigwigs at the sports books.

Trust me... the NCAA is going to try to come up with something to stop this from happening.

It's crazy that college students don't get paid. Making these kids go to classes and earning a degree is stupid also. They should get 2 options. 1.) free education if they choose or 2.) the value of their education is paid to them as a "salary"

While I certainly understand missing a game due to injury I do not like a player putting himself in front of the team or university. The cost of a full scholarship to Stanford is approx. $238,000.

coaches that get new gigs have been skipping bowl games for a long time now, players are now starting to join in.

95% of these bowl games are meaningless.

Exactly. Now they are ALL meaningless, except for the two semifinals and the championship.

I don't blame the players for sitting out when they are potentially risking millions of dollars of future earnings on exhibition games that make other people bags and bags of money. If the NCAA wants to change the trend...they need to expand the playoffs to 16 teams. Then you'll get 15 meaningful games that players will want to play in.

Good. Fournette was thinking about it, too, wasn't he? JC should do the same. There's a season's worth of tape for potential draft picks. Risking that playing a worthless game is just dumb.

Just curious....what do you....or anyone else....think what will they or can they do about it?
Especially considering how impotent the NCAA tends to be on most important issues.

Create a ten team playoff system and do away with all of the Bowl games. Teams one through six are in the playoff automatically. Teams seven through ten have a "play in" game with the two winners joining the other six to create the final field of eight. You can name the playoff games "Bowl Games" for advertising money or posterity if it creates some warm fuzziness, but the bloom is off the rose (no pun intended) for meaningless Bowl games. I doubt that players would sit out for a shot at a National Championship.

In what way?
Ummmm...they make millions of dollars off of them and don't give two craps about most of them, as soon as their eligibility/utility is spent. If they did, they would fight for (and win because they are the NCAA's boss) salaries, better coverage, and injury premiums to protect these kids from potential career losses. Instead, they care about making money. BTW, let me be clear, I 100% support that. However, I am not going to be naïve and think that it is the kid's taking advantage of the schools. That is the narrowest, blindest view I can imagine.

The exchange is play for scholarship and both sides win. Why would universities fight to end amateurism?

Ummmm...they make millions of dollars off of them and don't give two craps about most of them, as soon as their eligibility/utility is spent. If they did, they would fight for (and win because they are the NCAA's boss) salaries, better coverage, and injury premiums to protect these kids from potential career losses. Instead, they care about making money. BTW, let me be clear, I 100% support that. However, I am not going to be naïve and think that it is the kid's taking advantage of the schools. That is the narrowest, blindest view I can imagine.

The exchange is play for scholarship and both sides win. Why would universities fight to end amateurism?

Those scholarships are pretty meaningless, no? Particularly when you consider how much more money elite college athletes would be able to make if they could, say, get advertising deals.

he should have pulled a "Lucas Nix" and sat out the entire second half of the season to avoid injuries.

Half of these kids have no business being in college. They will get a degree and if they are good go play in the nfl. If not connections are made and then they get some cushy sales job making 6 figures because they were the fg at South Carolina or the QB at PSU. Oh forget that one, Mike Mcqueery got blackballed around State College. But you get the drift

meaningless exhibition so cant say I blame him. Hell, most coaches use these bowl games as practice for younger players to get ready for next year anyways. he is actually doing Stanford football and coaches a favor by sitting this out..

I don't think this is good. But if kids want to do this, they should do it earlier. Whatever this means to their coaches and teammates, its a slap in the face of the the fans who have already made travel plans to attend the bowl. Maybe it wouldn't affect much in this situation but I can see a scenario down the road where a team's starting QB and RB sit out the bowl and the team gets crushed in what would otherwise be a good game. I'd be pretty upset if JC and Peterman announced they were going to forego the Pinstripe Bowl after I've spent several hundred bucks on tickets and travel.

Players who do not want to go to class just take the scholarship value as a salary. Less stress on the coaches and everyone involved in getting them to class and eligible.

Players who want a degree, they get the free education and the degree to fall back on in the end.

Bowl games are paid out as a bonus to all players. Similar to pro sports and the playofffs.

Reactions: burnie1105
So is it okay for players to sit out games in non conference? What about practice( The Answer) ......it is only practice so why go?

Very smart move.

The next trend is for guys ineligible for the draft to sit the year out to avoid injury. Take a guy like Saquon Barkley for example. He would be one of the first.RBs taken and would surely come out if he could but he cannot so while it will be fun to play for free, its a pretty dumb move financially.

Very smart move.

The next trend is for guys ineligible for the draft to sit the year out to avoid injury. Take a guy like Saquon Barkley for example. He would be one of the first.RBs taken and would surely come out if he could but he cannot so while it will be fun to play for free, its a pretty dumb move financially.
yeah but at what point does your value start declining? If you are an NFL scout, would you rather see a player in a D1 program, competing against P5 competition or a player sit out a year, train with some hired trainer, void of any actual football playing for over 12 months..

I could see someone in college, getting hurt early and instead of trying to rehab their injury to come back for a few games late in year, calling it quits to get ready for the nfl. Say our WR this year, Dontez Ford was an NFL Caliber WR. I could see him not wanting to come back for the final 2 games but that's an extreme case..

Reactions: Jpripper88
Very smart move.

yeah but at what point does your value start declining? If you are an NFL scout, would you rather see a player in a D1 program, competing against P5 competition or a player sit out a year, train with some hired trainer, void of any actual football playing for over 12 months..

For a position like RB, I'd rather they sat the year out and saved some "wear."

I mean Willis McGahee went 1st Round when the Bills knew he'd miss an entire season and that was due to injury. You cant tell me that an elite player will lose any value for sitting out a year while he trained and prepared for the NFL Draft. I'm telling you this is going to start happening and it should. Its a very smart thing to do.

Heck, in that year off, you could sign with a shoe company, sell your autographs, etc. You'd make 6 figures NOT to play.

For a position like RB, I'd rather they sat the year out and saved some "wear."

I mean Willis McGahee went 1st Round when the Bills knew he'd miss an entire season and that was due to injury. You cant tell me that an elite player will lose any value for sitting out a year while he trained and prepared for the NFL Draft. I'm telling you this is going to start happening and it should. Its a very smart thing to do.

Heck, in that year off, you could sign with a shoe company, sell your autographs, etc. You'd make 6 figures NOT to play.
maybe, I am not arguing, just bringing up a good question. Year out of football though, boy, you better be working your tail off, strict diet, workout schedule, etc.. You better add enough value to overcome that missed season of football. Doing it on your own isn't gonna cut it.. You better be with a trainer, year round, daily..

It's moved no more than a half point anywhere I see so far. Some of you guys have a really inflated idea of how much an individual player is "worth" on the point spread.

This is a trend that I think is not very good for CFB. Star players sitting out bowl games in order to make sure they don't get injured before the draft.

I certainly understand it from their own self-interest..... but it is a troubling trend. I hope Conner doesn't follow suit.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/s...ffrey-stanford-cardinal-skip-hyundai-sun-bowl
The NFL has absolutely nothing to lose. They have a farm system for which they don't pay a single dime. they get the followers of a player from take damaged merchandise.
The trick for the NCAA is to get money from the NFL.

While I certainly understand missing a game due to injury I do not like a player putting himself in front of the team or university. The cost of a full scholarship to Stanford is approx. $238,000.

Stanford is apparently OK with this, but in my view, this would be grounds for pulling a scholarship. (Besides, the McCaffreys are capable of footing the bill for a year at Stanford.)

This is a possible solution. Put a clause in the scholarship that if you aren't injured, certified BY THE SCHOOL'S DOCTOR BEFORE THE GAME, you have to pay back that year's tuition in full.

This is a possible solution. Put a clause in the scholarship that if you aren't injured, certified BY THE SCHOOL'S DOCTOR BEFORE THE GAME, you have to pay back that year's tuition in full.

That is absurd. Bowl games are meaningless exhibition games. If a player doesn't want to play in his last game, he should have that right. Come on people.

Reactions: pbrad
Well, all the schools would have to agree. Lone wolves trying to do this would face competitive suicide.

As it is, your idea would open up a huge can of worms and unintended consequences.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT