ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers Place James Conner Into Concussion Protocol

You've never said that in the thread. You realize that, right?

This is what you said and it is idiotic.

Well, if you think Tomlin utilizes Conner effectively, I'd hate to see what you'd consider ineffective.

It's run 'em til the wheels fall off with Tomlin. Doesn't make sense. Rotating keeps guys fresher, obviously. Especially in games that are decided, like Baltimore, Conner should get more touches.

it was almost like they didnt like Connor's nice run, and were intent on not letting him replicate it with more carries. I know it sounds crazy but the play calling in that game was crazy.

Anyway I think this is Pittsburgh's last chance at a Super Bowl for a while as I think Roethlisberger will retire and Bell will leave via free agency. I even wonder if Tomlin will be back.

Let me first say I truly honestly really don't believe for a second that the team would hold back on giving reps to a guy if they thought he could better deliver results than some other guy. And especially in this last game I don't know how even the biggest JC fan couldn't see that Bell was having a tremendous game and there was no basis reason (other than rest) JC should have been given more reps over Bell.

That said. I bet it definitely DID create some unexpected perplexity among the coaches there when JC was drafted, not even in the first round, yet inexplicably shot up in popularity not just regionally but even nationally (shirt sales and network profiles etc). Without having played a down or even practiced.

I'm not a coach but betting coaches don't like that kind of thing ... or maybe more accurately don't have much of a precedent for how to handle such a thing.

Do they give the people what they want and play the guy more than they normally might? Do they go the other way and be harder on him? What about the rest of the egos in the locker room? Especially guys like Brown who don't like to share the limelight? Etc.

Interesting scenario for sure.

Let me first say I truly honestly really don't believe for a second that the team would hold back on giving reps to a guy if they thought he could better deliver results than some other guy. And especially in this last game I don't know how even the biggest JC fan couldn't see that Bell was having a tremendous game and there was no basis reason (other than rest) JC should have been given more reps over Bell.

That said. I bet it definitely DID create some unexpected perplexity among the coaches there when JC was drafted, not even in the first round, yet inexplicably shot up in popularity not just regionally but even nationally (shirt sales and network profiles etc). Without having played a down or even practiced.

I'm not a coach but betting coaches don't like that kind of thing ... or maybe more accurately don't have much of a precedent for how to handle such a thing.

Do they give the people what they want and play the guy more than they normally might? Do they go the other way and be harder on him? What about the rest of the egos in the locker room? Especially guys like Brown who don't like to share the limelight? Etc.

Interesting scenario for sure.
Bell doesn't need 38 touches in a blowout win.

Those thoughts of the Steelers not being sure how to handle Conner's popularity, especially on the field, have definitely crossed my mind. I think that there is a distinct possibility that a lot of the egos in that room are harder on him than your typical Rook.

Well, if you think Tomlin utilizes Conner effectively, I'd hate to see what you'd consider ineffective.

Ineffective would be to have him on the practice squad. James Connor, rookie, perhaps drafted a round or two higher than he should have been, is the apparent back up running back to LeVeon Bell, possibly the best running back in the NFL. That's pretty darn good if you ask me.

Reactions: Teh Teh
I'm not saying it's bad but as TZDA mentioned right above you Bell had no business getting 38 carries on Sunday.

What usage of rookie RBs behind All-Pros are better examples?

More importantly, to this discussion, you said: "Tomlin's ego is too big to put Conner in spots where he'd succeed. F him."

That is you saying Tomlin is intentionally trying to have Conner and his team fail to protect his "ego". If you think Tomlin (or any NFL HC) would do that, you are delusional. I don't even have a clue what about that would involve "ego" but it sure is an unbelievably dumb hot take.

Tomlin can essentially do whatever he wants because the Steelers aren't going to fire him and as a result it is limiting Conner's playing time/ production rookie or not. If you want to talk dumb, you lost all credibility in the Pens thread with your assessment on a Reeves.

Tomlin can essentially do whatever he wants because the Steelers aren't going to fire him and as a result it is limiting Conner's playing time/ production rookie or not. If you want to talk dumb, you lost all credibility in the Pens thread with your assessment on a Reeves.
Mike Tomlin has absolutely no reason to limit James Conner's playing time for anything other than trying to win games.

What is his motivation and reasoning for not playing James Conner when he obviously should be? What are the other examples you can point to where a coach is/has used a 3rd round rookie RB better through 4 games when the starter is an All Pro? Please do not use vagueries and then call out others for "reading comprehension" shortcomings, when you can't even make a consistent and thoughtful argument.

What is you assessment of Ryan Reeves? Which other players can you point to as examples, who make it clear to you Reeves fits that assessment and not his expected role as no higher than the 4th RW for the Penguins? What statistical similarities back up that assertion? Who do you expect him to pass on the depth chart?

Bell is clearly the better back. JC has done well in the situations he's been asked to perform. But so have the other two backs. It's not like he's outperforming the others in the roles they've been given. The game on Sunday wasn't decided until late because of some poor play calling and QB performance. That's why Bell wasn't given a breather. In the event the Steelers find themselves up big in a 4th quarter, you may get what you want. In a division rivalry game that's still within 2 scores, you don't go away from the best RB in the league, you give him the ball more....which is what they did.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Tomlin wants to get the best bang for his buck out of Bell...but he's working him to death. Tomlin is placing the whole offense on Bell's back when he's supposed to have one of the best set of receivers in FB and a HOF QB(giggle, giggle). Conner should get 10 carries per game. Tomlin, the Oratorio, is an enigma.

Tomlin wants to get the best bang for his buck out of Bell...but he's working him to death. Tomlin is placing the whole offense on Bell's back when he's supposed to have one of the best set of receivers in FB and a HOF QB(giggle, giggle). Conner should get 10 carries per game. Tomlin, the Oratorio, is an enigma.
Why should Conner get 10 carries a game? Why should the Steelers operate vastly differently than every other team in the NFL? What other team in the league is giving their backup RB 10 carries a game? Any rookies or significantly inexperienced players getting that behind the starter? Any behind elite RBs?

Tevin Coleman doesn't even get that and he is proven a very talented and capable NFL back.

I'm convinced most of you complaining don't even follow the NFL.

Patience on this. Bell might not be back next year because of his contract. He tends to suffer injuries as well as seasons go on. JC will get more chances.

Why should Conner get 10 carries a game? Why should the Steelers operate vastly differently than every other team in the NFL? What other team in the league is giving their backup RB 10 carries a game? Any rookies or significantly inexperienced players getting that behind the starter? Any behind elite RBs?

Tevin Coleman doesn't even get that and he is proven a very talented and capable NFL back.

I'm convinced most of you complaining don't even follow the NFL.
What other team in the league other than the Steelers is running a 1970's run first offense? The answer is none!!! Every other team in the league is filling the air with footballs and the Steelers are still trying to establish a running game and shorten the game by eating the clock. And apart from that, how smart of a strategy is that given the quality of the Steelers' WRs and the amount of scoring that is now the norm in the NFL? It's stupid but their OC and HC are idiots. They're going to work Bell to death... Conner would be a nice change of pace to Bell's dancing and darting and by the way, genius, Conner is a good back. Go back in your hole!

What other team in the league other than the Steelers is running a 1970's run first offense? The answer is none!!! Every other team in the league is filling the air with footballs and the Steelers are still trying to establish a running game and shorten the game by eating the clock. And apart from that, how smart of a strategy is that given the quality of the Steelers' WRs and the amount of scoring that is now the norm in the NFL? It's stupid but their OC and HC are idiots. They're going to work Bell to death... Conner would be a nice change of pace to Bell's dancing and darting and by the way, genius, Conner is a good back. Go back in your hole!
Lots of teams. No backup RB gets 10 carries. You don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Lots of teams. No backup RB gets 10 carries. You don't have a clue what you are talking about.
You're clueless. Very few teams run the ball like the Steelers, clueless, and few have a backup RB as good as Conner. Go Shine Tomlin's shoes now.

Patience on this. Bell might not be back next year because of his contract. He tends to suffer injuries as well as seasons go on. JC will get more chances.
They have the option to franchise Bell for 1 more season, so he will surely be back next year.

Steelers playing a horrible Jacksonville team today. There is no reason to run Bell into the ground. Lets hope James gets some touches. We all need something positive to watch since Pitt is such trash.

What a f'n badass.
DLoL8q3V4AA3gOV.jpg

What the hell is this team sleep walking today or what? So much for scoring 30 a game.

Last edited:
You're clueless. Very few teams run the ball like the Steelers, clueless, and few have a backup RB as good as Conner. Go Shine Tomlin's shoes now.

It's always funny when someone who has no idea what they are talking about calls someone else clueless.

Heading into today's game the Stillers pass the ball on 57.7% of their plays. That ranks them 16th in the NFL in passing play percentage. For those of you scoring at home, that puts them dead nuts in the middle of the league. Last season the Stillers ended up 20th in passing play percentage, just slightly under the league average.

Last year two of the teams that ran the ball more than the Stillers were the Patriots and the Falcons. If you follow the NFL you may remember they played kind of a big game against each other late last season.

Reactions: Jpripper88 and CJsE
Are the Jags this good or are the Steelers playing down to their competition again? I really thought the Steelers would roll today. Jags do have some nice young pieces in place.

He's playing for the Steelers behind the best (arguably) back in the NFL and who will not be signed by the Steelers.
Why take miles off the tread of an NFL back when you don't have to?
Sometimes I wonder if people are creatures of God or we're dropped here by some alien garbage detail.

JC's in a perfect situation. Let the rest of the league gas itself out (including Bell). Conner can get his carries later in the season when he's fresh. He still has a lot to learn. His chip on the screen was pathetic and he didn't chip on a sack a play later. Hasn't sniffed the field since.

JC's in a perfect situation. Let the rest of the league gas itself out (including Bell). Conner can get his carries later in the season when he's fresh. He still has a lot to learn. His chip on the screen was pathetic and he didn't chip on a sack a play later. Hasn't sniffed the field since.
I agree with you those were two obvious misplays in a row by James.

Very few teams run like the Steelers? In terms of what? Attempts? Percentages? Explain your rationale for calling someone, else, clueless.

Where would you rank James Conner among NFL RBs? What about among backup RBs?

Conner has an nfl body. He will gets reps, he is a freaking rookie behind possibly the best RB in the country. I doubt James is losing sleep and either should we. (As I say while in an airport awake)

It is becoming harder and harder to root for them, for sure. The only reason i tune in anymore is to hopefully see JC tote the rock.
there are meat heads on all rosters but we have a roster of them, at our best positions and a HC that might be dumber than all of them. For JC's best interests, he may want to be let go or traded off this sinking ship..

No one else spent a third round pick or higher on him so I doubt it. Some of you pittiots are just pitthetic.

No one picked him higher because no one valued him more. To think there is a trade market for him and to think he wishes he was elsewhere is truly pittiotic.

Very few teams run like the Steelers? In terms of what? Attempts? Percentages? Explain your rationale for calling someone, else, clueless.

Anything @Delpanther ? And, yes, you have been active on the board.

Where have you gone Del?

Where have you gone Del?

I'm here.....I don't even remember what your post was to which I responded...that was at least a couple of weeks ago. My response to your questions seems to be something that is keeping you up at night...why?

what I vaguely remember is your defending a run heavy game plan by the Steelers which worked Bell to death and produced few points and my point, as I recall, was that run heavy O's are not in vogue...evidently Tomlin agrees with me given his game plan against Jacksonville. When your QB stinks, however, it makes little difference what the run to pass ratio is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT