ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Morning Musings

pitt82

Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2001
Yesterday was a bittersweet day for me and my girlfriend. We were supposed to be in Charlotte but a close friend's wife passed and stayed home to attend wake/memorial service yesterday afternoon. The afternoon was emotionally draining and extremely difficult so the game took on a needed refuge from the day's event. Once the game kicked off I was fully engaged but the day didn't have the usual game related stress level. Let's get into it:

1. First of all a bow to Kenny Pickett and the seniors, super seniors, who made this journey. They persevered. They bought into the process and were rewarded. This program, the coaching staff, the parents and the fan base should be extremely proud of this team. Tip of the hat.

2. What a bizarre game. Just when it looked like we were going to have a game in the 50's, the coaching staff made some key defensive adjustments that pounded WF into submission and turned their offense to mush. Initially we tried to pressure Wake with the base 4 and that didn't work as Hartman carved up our secondary early. Bates and Narduzzi then started bringing more blitz heavy packages on early downs with exotic fronts (Bear front, three man fronts, overloads), which confused Wake.

3. The thing about the mesh RPO is that while difficult to defend it does force the qb to be closer to the line of scrimmage and doesn't create much of a pocket. It's not like your getting to drop back and creating passing windows. Hartman is also not tall so Pitt began blitzing the RPO and hitting him hard and consistently that by the end of the game he began to stare the pass rush down and making bad reads and throws.

4. For all the heat they have taken the corners played great yesterday. MJ, Williams, Mathis and Woods all made plays. You can never expect to make every play but in this defense your forcing the offense to make low percentage throws under duress. It's the scheme we run and yesterday that's what you saw. Yes, we do give up big plays yet we also make a ton of big plays. Yesterday the connection between the pass rush and the secondary was special.

5. I know Erik Hallett got the MVP of the game which was deserved but the best defensive player on the field yesterday was Dennis. And it's not close. Played out of his mind. He was everywhere. Stud.

6. Probably the worst the OL has performed in a while. I'm not sure if the injuries have taken their toll, but the run blocking was sub par though clearly WF game plan was to play the LB tight and not allow any run gaps and then blitz on obvious passing plays. We didn't pick up the blitzes or stunts consistently. I thought it was their worse game of the year.

7. Izzy is a different cat at RB. He made plays when there were none to be made. Yes he breaks from the plays intended structure like the TD run, but that's vision and he has it. He needs more carries hopefully he'll be fully rested for the bowl game.

8. The fourth and short call was the most obvious call. Everyone knows they were throwing the post to Addison including the Wake D who doubled him. Sometimes Whip needs to break some tendencies. Speaking of Addison his catch on the sideline after being held was nothing short of amazing. He's such a revelation as a WR both in his route running, his hands and his yards after catch. Never looks like he's stressing, just so effortless. To me he's like Tyler Boyd who never looked like he was sweating.

9. Doesn't it say something that none of the ND assistants followed Brian Kelly to LSU? There's something to be said when an administration has faith in it's head coach and gives him time to establish the program. Say what you will about Pat Narduzzi, he's the perfect fit. Cares for his players, protects them and is methodical the way he approaches things and he clearly loves Pitt.

10. Hopefully everyone celebrated last night the right way. Great to see the fans show up in Charlotte, the stadium was lit up with Panther Blue. I'm booking trip to the bowl game once it's confirmed. Can't wait. Don't care who we play just nice to be going to a big bowl.

Feels so good to wake up, have an 11-2 football team and be relevant. I was at Pitt during those great Marino teams and have learned to appreciate a season like this and never take it for granted. Hail to Pitt!!!!

Pitt82

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News