ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Morning Musings

pitt82

Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2001
Much much better. Though there are major things to clean up going into bye with a win feels a whole lot better:

1. Obviously the story is Izzy Izzy Izzy. He's such a unique back because of his explosive. He's not shifty, but more of a one cut and gone type of back but what really sets him apart is his top line speed. Extremely rare for a back of his size. We'll talk more about Izzy and the run concepts but lets face it, Izzy bailed out the team yesterday along with the OL and maybe the season.

2. People want to complain about the passing game go ahead. I'll say this, we are getting sub par play from Slovis. Tentative in his decision making. Plays are drawn up that are open but up to Slovis to execute. It's not like he was getting pressured either. He missed Wayne on a deep post. He missed a wide open lane on 4th and 3 to get a first down instead choosing to throw it to Means who was doubled. Missed Gavin on a skinny post. Hopefully the bye week will correct some of these issues because there's no question he has arm talent.

3. Maybe this is why late in the first half when we got the ball back in really good field position with a chance to put points we decided to run, run, pass vs spreading it out and going two minute offense. Maybe Cignetti's confidence in Slovis is not where it needs to be.

4. The defense is just meh right now. Two very bad offenses really handled us and gets me worried when we play a high end offense like UNC. Seeing multiple problems on multiple levels. The LB's are still not getting run fits, the corners are getting lit up by taller WR's and the front four is not generating the kind of pass rush you need. Maybe this is what we are. Will say that John Morgan's hit/fumble was probably the play of the game. Boy did we need that.

5. One of the frustrating/exhilirating aspects of the run game and especially Izzy is it's not a ball control 4 yds and a cloud dust. It's get stuffed, get stuffed then boom 60 yards to the house. Getting Hammond back will give this run game a different look because he's the pound it kind of back that will create some of those 4 yds you need to offset Izzy's explosions. I thought the key move in the second half was bringing in extra TE's and a FB in the run game.

6. Clemson is becoming Clemson again which is not good for any of us. GT won again clearly that coaching change seems to have benefitted that program. Boy Miami gets over 500 yds of offense and still loses. Don't look now but UNC's defense is slowly getting better. That QB is very very good.

7. At what point does the coach sit back and decide to make a qb change? there are plays to be made out there and Kedon isn't making them.

8. That had to be the softest roughing the passer penalty I have ever seen. I mean come on.

9. Man, the VT punter was giving us great position the whole second half. Anyone realize how potentially soul crushing that dropped punt and block TD could have been to this season?

10. I watched a lot of the Tenn game yesterday and wonder where that first half Pitt offense has been? When you watch Tenn play (they play Bama next) and think of how much of a dog fight that was when we played them and then watch the team perform against GT you just have to scratch your head. Our ceiling might have been that game.

11. Looking forward to getting the center back as Kradel needs to move back to guard. More of his position. He got blown up a lot yesterday.

12. THANK GOD FOR THE BYE WEEK. Stress free weekend. Yes 4-2 is not great but it is what it is. We have six games to go let's see see where we go. Louisville will not be easy.

13. I will watch the game over at some point. Last night my GF cooked a fabulous dinner for us and another couple and my viewing was clouded by a few bottles of wine and some Yamazaki 12 that we drank. So you could say I was a bit overserved.

Pitt82

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News