ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Morning Musings

pitt82

Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2001
When was the last time a Pitt team lined up and was more physical than Miami on both sides of the ball until last night? I mean sheer beatdown. Let's get into it:

1. My gf and I went for an early high end Korean dinner last night before the game and I had two old fashions in me when we walked back to the apartment for the game so I was ready to roll and that first drive Miami had I was getting concerned. TVD looked like he did last year but one hit, another great read by Dennis and the game was shall we say over. That interception along with TVD getting re-injured really sucked the life out of the Hurricanes.

2. I'm not going to play what ifs because you are what your record says you are but for this team to finish 4-0 with the myriad of injuries it's had really says something about the players, the depth of the team and the coaching staff. I realize everyone wants to always get down on the team when they lose but let's give this year's team some props. Really strong ending and yes we all thought we'd have a better record but there's no denying the character of the team.

3. While I know many criticize Narduzzi for being stubborn, for some in game decisions and I get it but for me I like the fact that Pitt has some stability and we desperately have needed stability. Look around college football and see coaches come and go. Stability ain't a bad thing and the program is in good hands.

4. Is it me or in the past few games Cigneti and SLovis seem to have gotten on the same page. Clearly they have. Yes Slovis sill made a bone head throw to Wayne when he was bracketed on 3 and 2 when he had options for the first down much closer to him, but I thought for the most part Slovis was decisive with his throws and put them on the money. That's the Slovis we were hoping to see all year.

5. Boy, I don't know what a bad loss is but seeing UM players plant flags at Midfield at the Horseshoe can't be a good thing if your an Ohio State fan. UM offensive line manhandled the Ohio State front and as the game wore on so did the OSU defense. Also the DC for OSU stuck to having his corners on an island and got burned for it.

6. I'm guessing a lot of Hurricanes are going to enter the transfer portal. Outside of the incessant yapping by the Hurricane players nothing about that team screamed Miami Hurricanes football. People complain about Pitt's attendance but that stadium was empty. Critobal has a major rebuild on his hands. Curious to see what happens to TVD. I thought half the team quit last night and the tackling was shoddy. How many times did a Pitt RB get five yards before being touched? Not a great effort.

7. Who do you think would win right now Pitt or Penn State if they played each other? Very similar teams. Good RB's, good Defenses. It would be a fun game to watch.

8. Maybe they wanted to get Wayne 1000 yds but wasn't thrilled with us throwing late in the game. Just wasn't. Also I wish sometimes Pitt players would just cool it with the constant yapping as well. I realize Narduzzi likes them playing with an edge but to me it's a bad look but frankly every team does it. It's part of the modern game. Pro game as well.

9. Dabo blew that game yesterday. I mean DJ stunk up the joint. Really stunk up the joint and Dabo tried to get cute on special teams and it cost him the game. Clemson cost themselves a potential shot at the playoffs. And UNC can't lose enough for me. Aside from Penn State it's the team I hate the most.

10. Mike Norvell's FSU team is going to be a problem. They come up to us next year which should be fun but he's building something nice.

11. I feel like sometimes the refs default to the PI for no other reason than the crowd screaming. AJ Woods has perfect position, using the sideline as the other defender, looks back for the ball and he gets called for PI when the Miami receiver is holding Woods jersey. I mean it's like text book defensive coverage. Also what does the replay official see when he Izzy's forward progress isn't stopped and he reaches across the goal line? Why not review? But I quibble.

12. Dennis is going to be really really missed if he leaves. Not just for insane ability to be a sure tackler, his blitzing ability but really his intellect. Diagnoses plays knows where to be never misses an assignment. Really special player. Still curious how he does as a pro. A little undersized for the pro game but man is he a great college player.

13. Thought Dayon Hayes overmatched the Miami LT yesterday. Played with a lot of energy. Where was that? Without Haba and Kancey and yet the front four got consistent pressure. Not sure what it says about us or the UM offensive line.

14. Devin Danielson is a married man with a child. Obviously a mature individual :) or you would think. Really need to concuss himself like that? My goodness.

15. I believe we've seen the last of Izzy. He'll be a draft pick and with the shelf like of a RB who can blame him. Really been a privilege to watch him run and he has really grown as a football player. His vision has significantly improved over the years and with his speed someone will snap him up by round 3 I would think. Also has very underrated hands which the pros love.

16. Wayne is going to be a really nice slot receiver. He's going to be a matchup problem in the NFL. Runs precise routes, very good catch radius and is good after the catch.

17. That's all I got. Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend. Nice ending to the season. I hope we go to a warm weather bowl but not stay in my hometown. Last time it was in NYC it was freezing at Yankee Stadium.

Pitt82

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News