ADVERTISEMENT

"The Big Home Game"

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Pitt has only won 4 of these at Heinz Field, by my recollection.

My loose definition of a big home game is where the team is in contention for a conference or division championship (or thought to be a contender if its an early season game) and we have a game vs a similar team which generates enough local interest where the attendance is significantly more than it usually is.

Wins
VT 02
WVU 04
WVU 08
PSU 16

Losses (years might be off)
Miami 00
Miami 02
WVU 02
ND 05
Rutgers 06
Cincy 09
UNC 16 (defacto Coastal Championship)
PSU 18

My loose definition of a big home game is where the team is in contention for a conference or division championship (or thought to be a contender if its an early season game) and we have a game vs a similar team which generates enough local interest where the attendance is significantly more than it usually is.

Wins
VT 02
WVU 04
WVU 08
PSU 16

Miami 00
Miami 02
WVU 02
ND 05
Rutgers 06
Cincy 09
PSU 18
years are off

VT 03
Miami 00 was 3 rivers - did we even play them at 3 rivers that year? Don't recall
Miami 03
UNC 15

Rutgers 06 was big, but not that big, still led to a pretty big tailspin that year .

Wins
VT 02
WVU 04
WVU 08
PSU 16

Miami 00
Miami 02
WVU 02
ND 05
Rutgers 06
Cincy 09
PSU 18
Miami and WVU in 2010.... The later of which was the final straw that got Wannstedt fired.

Miami and WVU in 2010.... The later of which was the final straw that got Wannstedt fired.

I think the conference was decided at the UCONN game so not sure I would say it was big. But with a win against WVU Wanny may have saved his job.

Thinking about the list, worse home defeats:

WVU 02 - 2nd place behind a dominant Miami was on the line.
ND 05 - at least be competitive. Biggest game of the opening weekend in college football, heck even Keith Jackson came out of retirement for it
Cinci 09 - nothing more to be said
PSU 18 - just because.

Best home wins

VT 03 - lots of hype, kept us alive in Big East title chase.
UCF 19 - Great win against a cocky team that had accumulated a lot of wins the past 3 seasons.
PSU 16 - just because
Miami 17 - didn't really mean much in a bad season but helped to expose the fraud that Mark Richt was at Miami
WVU 04 & 08 - just because
ND 09 - kept the dream alive for a magical season, I think the win put us in the top 10 if I'm not mistaken

years are off

VT 03
Miami 00 was 3 rivers - did we even play them at 3 rivers that year? Don't recall
Miami 03
UNC 15

Rutgers 06 was big, but not that big, still led to a pretty big tailspin that year .

Miami was 01 and 03. Miami 01 was a Thursday night, the first game after 9/11 I believe. They were #1 but there was some thought we could pull the upset because we were supposed to be good even though we just lost to D1 newby USF.

03 was the Big East Championship game on the Saturday after Thanksgiving

I think the conference was decided at the UCONN game so not sure I would say it was big. But with a win against WVU Wanny may have saved his job.

If Pitt beat WVU, we would have been 6-1, where UConn would have ended up 5-2. It ultimately took both the UConn and WVU loss to blow the conference title and BCS bid.

I wouldn't have taken a sophomore Tino team over Oklahoma in the bowl but either of those wins may have saved Wanny even with the arrests story.

Wins
VT 02
WVU 04
WVU 08
PSU 16

Miami 00
Miami 02
WVU 02
ND 05
Rutgers 06
Cincy 09
PSU 18
I’d be interested to see our win/loss record for those games as the favorite, since we were the underdog for several of them.

Wins
VT 02
WVU 04
WVU 08
PSU 16

Miami 00
Miami 02
WVU 02
ND 05
Rutgers 06
Cincy 09
PSU 18
ND 09 was a big game. I know ND wasn’t great that year, but that’s a big game.

Reactions: columbus mike
This isn't a must win to win the Coastal. I'm not even sure Clemson is ranked. The game might get some hype and is big for our fanbase, but nationally it's a dud.

Some truth to that but it "moves the needle" enough locally to be considered a big game. Instead of having 15K people there, there will be 48K

This is being treated as a "Big Game" so it shall come to pass...

- We will be ranked....

- We are playing a national powerhouse...

- The stadium will be packed...

- Lots of recruits will be there....

****Stop me if you've seen this before...****

- National TV

- New uniforms

- Important alumni will be on the sidelines...

I mean... What could go wrong? Right?

Will Pitt finally come through and win like they did in 2009 against ND????

I'm counting on it.... Nothing will make up for the WMU debacle, but a win Saturday will go a long way...

It's two teams playing that are each barely ranked. I don't consider this a big home game.

It's two teams playing that are each barely ranked. I don't consider this a big home game.
It doesn't matter what you and I think, it's being hyped up that way.

Don't kid yourself. The team, the press, and the coaches have been circling this home game for a long time.

There is no doubt that Pitt will get even bigger & better press if they win this game.... If they lose, it will be same old Pitt...

Don't kid yourself. The team, the press, and the coaches have been circling this home game for a long time.

There is no doubt that Pitt will get even bigger & better press if they win this game.... If they lose, it will be same old Pitt...

Which would be a shame, tbh. Because win or lose Saturday, Pitt is still in the hunt for an ACC title.

I don't disagree. Clemson is not a good football team this year, but they have the rep so beating them will be perceived as a bigger deal then it should be.

But this is defiantly the classic 'setup' game for Pitt where they usually blow it.

This is being treated as a "Big Game" so it shall come to pass...

- We will be ranked....

- We are playing a national powerhouse...

- The stadium will be packed...

- Lots of recruits will be there....

****Stop me if you've seen this before...****

- National TV

- New uniforms

- Important alumni will be on the sidelines...

I mean... What could go wrong? Right?

Will Pitt finally come through and win like they did in 2009 against ND????

I'm counting on it.... Nothing will make up for the WMU debacle, but a win Saturday will go a long way...

Exactly. Pitt always loses these games. If they are retiring a jersey or honoring a Glory Days team at halftime, then we have no shot

Wins
VT 02
WVU 04
WVU 08
PSU 16

Miami 00
Miami 02
WVU 02
ND 05
Rutgers 06
Cincy 09
PSU 18
thats funny because the board never remembers you getting things right.

pffffffffffttttt

Reactions: MalvernPanther
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT