ADVERTISEMENT

The bubble per Lunardi

Pitt2006

Sophomore
Jun 19, 2018
Lunardi listed bracket math yesterday. 25 teams for 7 spots. The top 7 in and next 18 out. 10 teams on the list lost so far this weekend with a few more games to go. Pitt should be in this group next week.

Nebraska @Illinois tomorrow
Boise St W
Florida. L@ TxA&M
Texas A&M W UF
Seton Hall W DePaul
Providence @Villanova tomorrow
Colorado L @Utah

Out
Memphis W
Gonzaga L
Wash ST W
Butler W vs Creighton
Virginia W vs Miami
Cincy W @TxTech
Oregon L
Villanova Prov tomorrow
Princeton L@Yale W Brown
Wake W Cuse
KSU L
VT L
Xavier W
Nevada W
Drake L
FSU L
Miami W
Georgia L

Last edited:
We have a long way to go to be even near the bubble. The NIT will be a stretch considering the remaining games.

If they can win at NC State on Wednesday this week and get back to 6-6 in the conference and 15-8 overall with another Quad 2 road win I think it starts to put them as close to the bubble as they have been all year. Their NET would most likely climb into the mid to high 50’s and they should jump a lot of those teams that were on the bubble list this past week. They aren’t there yet but they are getting close.

Last edited:
We have a long way to go to be even near the bubble. The NIT will be a stretch considering the remaining games.
There are no sure losses in the remaining games, they are all winnable. of course, we could lose most of them too. the point it, the remaining schedule is full of toss up games and if we are playing well, could win most of them.

8-1 gets them in. Dont really need to look around to see what others are doing. Need to win all the home games and win 3 out of 4 on the road.

There are no sure losses in the remaining games, they are all winnable. of course, we could lose most of them too. the point it, the remaining schedule is full of toss up games and if we are playing well, could win most of them.

Yes, all of the remaining games are winnable and losable. I think to get into the NIT, we need 7 wins of the 9 remaining. To get into the NCAAT, we'll need a couple of wins at least in the ACCT. Yes, it's doable. We have to start with a win at NCState.

Yes, all of the remaining games are winnable and losable. I think to get into the NIT, we need 7 wins of the 9 remaining. To get into the NCAAT, we'll need a couple of wins at least in the ACCT. Yes, it's doable. We have to start with a win at NC State.
New year, same cluelessness.

If you can win the next two games @UVA and @NC State, then we can start the bubble talk.

If not, then there’s just not enough good wins left and you’d need a magical tourney run.

Also Duke needs to start consistently winning/dominating ACC teams, otherwise we can’t prop that up.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
8-1 gets them in. Dont really need to look around to see what others are doing. Need to win all the home games and win 3 out of 4 on the road.
I agree with this, 8-1 should get them in. 7-2 would obviously depend on what other teams do but I can easily see them not making it with that finish.

If we get to 19-20 wins, our resume should be strong enough for the NIT. As long as we don't lose to Louisville, in that scenario, our NET and Kenpom should remain ~65 or higher.

Syracuse looks like a bad team. 1-1 against them and beating MIZZOU, who sucks, and we're right there. Those three losses are likely too much to overcome at this point.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Syracuse looks like a bad team. 1-1 against them and beating MIZZOU, who sucks, and we're right there. Those three losses are likely too much to overcome at this point.
2 Q3 losses. Last year they had a Q4. If they win more Q1 road games they will be in the conversation. They are also still in the mix for the last double bye in ACC tourney. Particularly as they play most teams above them still (NCST twice, FSU).

If they can win at NC State on Wednesday this week and get back to 6-6 in the conference and 15-8 overall with another Quad 2 road win I think it starts to put them as close to the bubble as they have been all year. Their NET would most likely climb into the mid to high 50’s and they should jump a lot of those teams that were on the bubble list this past week. They aren’t there yet but they are getting close.
I get the sentiment but we have only won there twice since 2014 correct?

Yes, all of the remaining games are winnable and losable. I think to get into the NIT, we need 7 wins of the 9 remaining. To get into the NCAAT, we'll need a couple of wins at least in the ACCT. Yes, it's doable. We have to start with a win at NCState.

This honestly might be the dumbest post in board history. You think we miss the NIT if we go 20-11/11-7?

Pitt's remaining games

@NC State: Currently a Q2 win but could jump to Q1 as they are 77 in NET
@UVA: Q1 win
LVille: Q4 win
@Wake: Q1 win
VT: Q2 win
@Clemson: Q1 win
@BC: Q2 win with a longshot Q1 win currently 91 in NET
FSU: Q3 win.
NC State: Q3/2 win.

We really need to sweep NC State and hope they play well down the stretch. We really need to somehow get to 4 Q1 wins which is going to be hard considering we have 1 right now. Ideally the finish we need includes 2 of the quad one wins and a loss to VT assuming 7-2 is probably the ceiling.

Pitt's remaining games

@NC State: Currently a Q2 win but could jump to Q1 as they are 77 in NET
@UVA: Q1 win
LVille: Q4 win
@Wake: Q1 win
VT: Q2 win
@Clemson: Q1 win
@BC: Q2 win with a longshot Q1 win currently 91 in NET
FSU: Q3 win.
NC State: Q3/2 win.

We really need to sweep NC State and hope they play well down the stretch. We really need to somehow get to 4 Q1 wins which is going to be hard considering we have 1 right now. Ideally the finish we need includes 2 of the quad one wins and a loss to VT assuming 7-2 is probably the ceiling.

We only had 4 Q1s last year but got in with a terrible NET of 67. So this year, if we go 13-7, we will only have 3 Q1s but a NET of like 42 so I think we'd get in. What we have to root for is Syracuse getting back into The Top 75 because they have moved into a Q3 loss, giving us 2.

Wasn’t it several years back that if your record wins were above 50% you were eligible for the NIT?

Didn’t want to start a new thread, so I’ll bump this one…

Clemson is currently up by five against UNC with 15:00 to go in the 2H. I’d imagine we’d want Clemson to lose to help our at-large chances.

Didn’t want to start a new thread, so I’ll bump this one…

Clemson is currently up by five against UNC with 15:00 to go in the 2H. I’d imagine we’d want Clemson to lose to help our at-large chances.
Nah, Clemson’s in the field. Keeping that home loss to them as a Q1 loss, and boosting their NET for when we have the chance to knock them off on the road is more important.

Nah, Clemson’s in the field. Keeping that home loss to them as a Q1 loss, and boosting their NET for when we have the chance to knock them off on the road is more important.

Clemson is now all but a lock. They can go 10-10 and get in. Maybe even 9-11.

Clemson is now all but a lock. They can go 10-10 and get in. Maybe even 9-11. UVa getting in also. Pitt/NC State is a play-out game. No way the loser gets in.

Meantime the might Wisconsin badgers ranked 11 in the nation just got beat by Michigan which is a dumpster fire. That Big 10 conference is so suspect but they will get 6-7 teams in regardless

Clemson is now all but a lock. They can go 10-10 and get in. Maybe even 9-11. UVa getting in also. Pitt/NC State is a play-out game. No way the loser gets in.
A few weeks ago you said the ACC sucked and we were only going to get 2-3 teams in.

You and Pitt Poker ought to get out of the prediction game.

A few weeks ago you said the ACC sucked and we were only going to get 2-3 teams in.

You and Pitt Poker ought to get out of the prediction game.

I predicted 5 a few months ago. I have said things like at this moment, there's only 3 teams in. That's not a prediction. Right now, its 4 though I wouldn't say UVa is definitely in at the moment. I'd put them in though.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
I don’t understand where this acc prejudice came from

I thought hoops wise we’d always be solid to get 8-11 teams in

Meantime the might Wisconsin badgers ranked 11 in the nation just got beat by Michigan which is a dumpster fire. That Big 10 conference is so suspect but they will get 6-7 teams in regardless
You laugh but that whole damn conference is like top 100 in the NET. Just stacking pretty hollow Q2 and Q1 wins

You laugh but that whole damn conference is like top 100 in the NET. Just stacking pretty hollow Q2 and Q1 wins

The B10 is a super easy conference to make the NCAAT out of because there's no blue bloods. The ACC has Duke, UNC, and then you have UVa who doesnt lose in Jan & Feb due to supreme coaching. So its hard to get enough quality wins because those teams dont lose enough. Purdue has been on a run in recent years but that's cyclical. They usually dont have unbeatable teams at the top. From 2 to like 10, everyone is the same so win your home games and you are in

Reactions: 303vND
Welp I was wrong. I thought a win at NCsT would at least get us in the low 80s on the sheet this week. However, the last few are likely interchangeable.

Welp I was wrong. I thought a win at NCsT would at least get us in the low 80s on the sheet this week. However, the last few are likely interchangeable.

Penny Hardaway is honestly one of the worst coaches of all time. He's up there with Kenny Payne. The difference is he has a lot of talent and plays in terrible league so he wins sometimes

Reactions: Pittnerski
Penny Hardaway is honestly one of the worst coaches of all time. He's up there with Kenny Payne. The difference is he has a lot of talent and plays in terrible league so he wins sometimes
Well, one of his highly touted freshmen got kicked out for gun crimes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT