ADVERTISEMENT

The MATH on Beer Sales at Heinz

pittizit

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jul 5, 2001
lets say 50,000 show up and 75% are over 21..=37,500 eligibles........and half like beer.....18750 eligibles....and on average they sell two beers to every eligible...thats 37,500 beers sold on a game day x 6 home games like this year...225000 beers sold in a season...times $7 /beer...thats $1.575 Million...minus the beer costs...say $2/beer(worse case)...thats $450,000...total net is $1.125 million for a season on beer sales...adjust the numbers as you may but that is probably a best case scenario

Last edited:
lets say 50,000 show up and 75% are over 21..=37,500 eligibles........and half like beer.....18750 eligibles....and on average they sell two beers to every eligible...thats 37,500 beers sold on a game day x 6 home games like this year...225000 beers sold in a season...times $7 /beer...thats $1.575 Million...minus the beer costs...say $2/beer(worse case)...thats $450,000...total net is $1.125 million for a season on beer sales...adjust the numbers as you may but that is probably a best cae scenario

Does anyone have the math from other stadiums ?

I think wvu recently started selling beer(5 years), does anyone remember the rumblings or lack of ?

Is this strictly a direct financial analysis? How can we factor in potential fan satisfaction (or dissatisfaction) into the equation. Would more or less people go to games or would it stay the same if we sold beer? I believe that enhanced food and beverage options at Heinz Field would improve attendance. It worked for the Pirates. There were many years between the shine of the new stadium and the Pirates being a decent team where attendance was as strong. Food and drink options played a role in that, I'm sure. Of course, I could be totally wrong and that perhaps the fact that beer isn't served makes gameday a more family oriented event and that if they sold beer, attendance would decline. But the bottom line here is that someone has to have done the what/if analyis on crowd levels and beer sales.

lets say 50,000 show up and 75% are over 21..=37,500 eligibles........and half like beer.....18750 eligibles....and on average they sell two beers to every eligible...thats 37,500 beers sold on a game day x 6 home games like this year...225000 beers sold in a season...times $7 /beer...thats $1.575 Million...minus the beer costs...say $2/beer(worse case)...thats $450,000...total net is $1.125 million for a season on beer sales...adjust the numbers as you may but that is probably a best cae scenario

Do we know how many scholarship athletes there are at Pitt? If our COA is $3300....then the 85 football schollys will cost $280K a year. The remaining $170K could be spent on 51 COA's for athletes.

No brainer.

While the move to the Big 12 has generated increased revenue for WVU, another move WVU made in 2011 is paying off financially. That decision–to sell beer at home football games–has brought WVU significant revenue since 2011. For the 2011 football season, WVU had a 50-50 split with its concessionaire for revenue generated from beer sales. That year, WVU earned $516,551.41 from beer sales, with the top-selling game being the Mountaineers’ game against LSU. WVU’s home game against LSU, which was attended by 62,056 people, generated $120,469.81 worth of beer sales revenue for WVU.
In moving to the Big 12 in 2012, WVU saw its beer sales revenue increase. Still sharing a 50-50 split with its concessionaire for beer sales revenue, WVU earned $632,694.58 from beer sales in 2012. What’s notable about this, is that WVU’s football attendance in 2012 was actually lower than in 2011, by an average of just under 8,000 fans per game. Yet, fans were spending more on beer in 2012 than they were in 2011.
WVU appears to be set to set another record for beer sales revenue in 2013. This year, WVU’s new contract with concessionaire Sodexo allows WVU to keep 52-percent of the revenue from beer sales. Ahead of the Iowa State game, WVU had brought in $482,377.02 in beer sales this season. In home games against Texas and Oklahoma State, WVU brought in over $100,000 in revenue from beer sales this year.

Is this strictly a direct financial analysis? How can we factor in potential fan satisfaction (or dissatisfaction) into the equation. Would more or less people go to games or would it stay the same if we sold beer? I believe that enhanced food and beverage options at Heinz Field would improve attendance. It worked for the Pirates. There were many years between the shine of the new stadium and the Pirates being a decent team where attendance was as strong. Food and drink options played a role in that, I'm sure. Of course, I could be totally wrong and that perhaps the fact that beer isn't served makes gameday a more family oriented event and that if they sold beer, attendance would decline. But the bottom line here is that someone has to have done the what/if analyis on crowd levels and beer sales.

This is the answer. I have 4 current tickets for my family group. I can assure you for the next 10 years, my quota would reduce to 2 because I am not subjecting my young son to rude fan behavior. I think most of us know what NFL games are like and if we are using the revenues of WVU as an example, the question is would pitt make that profit vs those that stay home. I am sure it would equal a profit, but would I do it? No.

Conversely on the other end, you rarely get that behavior at baseball games or hockey outside of the games that people excessively tailgate (opening day, playoffs)

Reactions: JoseLind13
Keep in mind that alcohol is already served in club seating sections. I'd imagine that some people purchase club seats for that reason.

How do we value having a few beers in you when Pitt loses to Youngstown state? The numbing effects of a few beers during that travesty would be worth a few hundred bucks IMO.
Xanax.

This is the answer. I have 4 current tickets for my family group. I can assure you for the next 10 years, my quota would reduce to 2 because I am not subjecting my young son to rude fan behavior. I think most of us know what NFL games are like and if we are using the revenues of WVU as an example, the question is would pitt make that profit vs those that stay home. I am sure it would equal a profit, but would I do it? No.

Conversely on the other end, you rarely get that behavior at baseball games or hockey outside of the games that people excessively tailgate (opening day, playoffs)

I hear you and believe it to be a valid point. So then the challenge would be to maintain the family type atmosphere so you don't lose fans, yet allow beer sales so you can profit from that and possibly even gain some beer loving fans. I think it is doable. Like you said, baseball and hockey does it successfully. I'm thinking that anyone who is getting loaded in the parking lot before the game is going to be about as obnoxious inside the game with or without beer sales. And in fact there is some evidence that it reduces the obnoxious fan behavior because fans don't feel the need to pound as many beers as possible in the parking lot and toss 4 in their pockets for the 10 minute walk from the lot to the gate. It could help fans learn to drink like gentlemen. Interesting discussion. I'm not sure what angle is right or wrong.

Reactions: USN_Panther

You completely contradict yourself. "I will be reducing the number of season tickets I purchase if they sell beer".... but then you go on to point out "historically, I haven't experienced any issues at the stadiums that have adopted alcohol sales".

People buying 2 or 3 Miller Lites over the course of a 3 hour game aren't going to be your problem. It's the people who drink a 30 rack of Natty in the lot before the game you have to watch. Alcohol sales in the stadium will have little to no impact on the people who attend the game drunk. If people want to be drunk at a game, they will be. Prohibiting revenue that could be easily generated is idiotic. Never once in my entire life has the lack of alcohol sales prevented me from being blasted at a Pitt game.

I hear you and believe it to be a valid point. So then the challenge would be to maintain the family type atmosphere so you don't lose fans, yet allow beer sales so you can profit from that and possibly even gain some beer loving fans. I think it is doable. Like you said, baseball and hockey does it successfully. I'm thinking that anyone who is getting loaded in the parking lot before the game is going to be about as obnoxious inside the game with or without beer sales. And in fact there is some evidence that it reduces the obnoxious fan behavior because fans don't feel the need to pound as many beers as possible in the parking lot and toss 4 in their pockets for the 10 minute walk from the lot to the gate. It could help fans learn to drink like gentlemen. Interesting discussion. I'm not sure what angle is right or wrong.

I think this is one of the reasons Pitt is unique. We don't have a lot of fans pounding beers in the parking lots before games. Granted it happens, but when you have most college football atmospheres (here's looking at you PSU/WVU/the vast majority of college campuses) you have tailgating for hours prior to the game. Mainly because you need to get there early to find parking. At Pitt, how often (even with good crowds) do you have the parking lots barely filled an hour before kickoff? For whatever reason, football just brings out the worst in people when it comes to drinking. It is strange that way. And I know most NFL stadiums have a "family zone section" but usually those tickets are in the crappier location. I think it is a good question to have with the fans

Reactions: USN_Panther
You completely contradict yourself. "I will be reducing the number of season tickets I purchase if they sell beer".... but then you go on to point out "historically, I haven't experienced any issues at the stadiums that have adopted alcohol sales".

People buying 2 or 3 Miller Lites over the course of a 3 hour game aren't going to be your problem. It's the people who drink a 30 rack of Natty in the lot before the game you have to watch. Alcohol sales in the stadium will have little to no impact on the people who attend the game drunk. If people want to be drunk at a game, they will be. Prohibiting revenue that could be easily generated is idiotic. Never once in my entire life has the lack of alcohol sales prevented me from being blasted at a Pitt game.

Then what is the difference with NFL games? What is the difference with WVU or PSU fans? I agree, I have never had problems with Pitt fans, but I am amazed at how many people bring their kids to games at Pitt vs NFL games. I don't think it is a contradiction at all. I wouldn't bring my son (until he was older) to NFL games. I wouldn't take him to PSU or WVU away games either. Ask anyone the difference between a normal Pirate game and a 130 start time on Opening day. Opening day brings out the bad fan behavior (at least my experiences on opening day.) My point is that before you jump on the "beer will bring additional revenue" you need to look at potential ticket loss. And I admit, I might be an outlier here and many people with young kids might not care. I certainly am not against drinking or having a good time, though I try to set a good example around my son and not drink excessively or curse (though as he gets older, I doubt I will continue to worry about it so...)

Reactions: JoseLind13
This entire topic is dumb.

There is no free lunch.
Sell beer elsewhere, now many donations are lost from club seat owners?
What is the increased liability cost?

Do you think people will ACTUALLY go to the games for the privilege of buying a $7 coors light? Get the hell out of here.

I don't think anyone is saying it's gonna increase ticket sales souf, I think it's another source of revenue which is the argument. No one knows the deal from the concession vendors that they will get, or if the rooneys get a piece of the pie but you would have to think the school would get a nice percentage of an untapped (pun included) resource.. Would it cause a decline in club seat donations as people say screw it to those tickets and buy cheaper ones, eliminating their mandatory donation?? A good question. Another one, which I think is silly, is it would create a hostile environment. Like others have said, you aren't going to come to Heinz field to pound 8 dollar coors lights. Honestly, a little bit of energy, vibes, enthusiasm would be welcome into a very quiet, borderline pathetic, environment that is Pitt football. If that is created by alcohol, a marching band, or the enticing vocal chords of Neil Diamond, who cares..

Don't believe me that Pitt football environment is pathetic, go back to Herbstreit's comments about Heinz field during the FSU game two years ago. He basically said it's the best environment a freshman QB (Winston) could come into on the road as the fans create zero issues for the opposing QB. And that was with a nice crowd in a night game, water that down for a 1pm YSU game..

I was on the fence about the subject until I read Souf's take on it, and the truth became obvious, it won't and shouldn't happen.

Then what is the difference with NFL games? What is the difference with WVU or PSU fans? I agree, I have never had problems with Pitt fans, but I am amazed at how many people bring their kids to games at Pitt vs NFL games. I don't think it is a contradiction at all. I wouldn't bring my son (until he was older) to NFL games. I wouldn't take him to PSU or WVU away games either. Ask anyone the difference between a normal Pirate game and a 130 start time on Opening day. Opening day brings out the bad fan behavior (at least my experiences on opening day.) My point is that before you jump on the "beer will bring additional revenue" you need to look at potential ticket loss. And I admit, I might be an outlier here and many people with young kids might not care. I certainly am not against drinking or having a good time, though I try to set a good example around my son and not drink excessively or curse (though as he gets older, I doubt I will continue to worry about it so...)

Its difficult to keep this thread argument going when you make such reasonable and accurate points. Don't shut me down like that. Haha

This entire topic is dumb.

There is no free lunch.
Sell beer elsewhere, now many donations are lost from club seat owners?

Are you going to leave club to purchase cheaper seats if you can drink beer elsewhere in the stadium?

Its difficult to keep this thread argument going when you make such reasonable and accurate points. Don't shut me down like that. Haha

But as PGfan mentioned, we have an incredibly stale atmosphere. Would alcohol improve the crowd, or not? The PSU ad said earlier this week crowds are hurt by crappy opponents and anyone can tell you we have in the past had good crowd atmosphere. The FSU crowd was strange because we had the weather delay which hurt potential momentum, then scored right away and halfway through the 1st quarter was dead silent once Winston ran wild on us.

Again I am not necessarily opposed to it, but if there are others like me that might not buy as many tickets, then pitt needs to ask itself if it is worth it...because you might generate more revenue at the cost of butts in seats. It might be worth it, it might not. I also might be over exaggerating the true numbers of lost tickets. I am just glad barnes is looking at this issue and not pederson

Do people purchase club just to drink beer? If the answer is yes then it could hurt. Club seat owners, what say you?

I don't think anyone is saying it's gonna increase ticket sales souf, I think it's another source of revenue which is the argument. No one knows the deal from the concession vendors that they will get, or if the rooneys get a piece of the pie but you would have to think the school would get a nice percentage of an untapped (pun included) resource.. Would it cause a decline in club seat donations as people say screw it to those tickets and buy cheaper ones, eliminating their mandatory donation?? A good question. Another one, which I think is silly, is it would create a hostile environment. Like others have said, you aren't going to come to Heinz field to pound 8 dollar coors lights. Honestly, a little bit of energy, vibes, enthusiasm would be welcome into a very quiet, borderline pathetic, environment that is Pitt football. If that is created by alcohol, a marching band, or the enticing vocal chords of Neil Diamond, who cares..

Don't believe me that Pitt football environment is pathetic, go back to Herbstreit's comments about Heinz field during the FSU game two years ago. He basically said it's the best environment a freshman QB (Winston) could come into on the road as the fans create zero issues for the opposing QB. And that was with a nice crowd in a night game, water that down for a 1pm YSU game..

So alcohol is needed for Pitt fans to be loud and cheer for the team?
That would be quite a damning indictment of our fanbase.

Actually, I don't believe it to be true - the place has been loud for other games, with the same policy in place. FSU responding so quickly, as Ratking said, had more to do with that game.
But the lame reasoning behind the Beer! Beer! Beer! argument drives me nuts.

There are less places to tailgate and more surface lot disappearing to come. Don't know if that matters.

And that won't change with beer sales.
Frankly...if you think the folks who tailgate will get louder with access to beer in the stadium- or think those who don't tailgate suddenly will have the urge to drink and scream..
then, you're being foolish.

I think it's pathetic that so many of you require alcohol to cheer for your team.

Do people purchase club just to drink beer? If the answer is yes then it could hurt. Club seat owners, what say you?
It's a reason why I do.
Not the only reason (being under cover with the option to go inside, along with easier to socialize with others in the club section during the games) are others.

The main reason though, is because I got tired of being surrounded by miserable pricks in any section I sat ...so I prefer only having to deal with 2 rows rather than entire sections.

So alcohol is needed for Pitt fans to be loud and cheer for the team?
That would be quite a damning indictment of our fanbase.

Actually, I don't believe it to be true - the place has been loud for other games, with the same policy in place. FSU responding so quickly, as Ratking said, had more to do with that game.
But the lame reasoning behind the Beer! Beer! Beer! argument drives me nuts.

Go to a SEC football game at Georgia, USC, LSU, Mizzou, etc. The Beer! Beer! Beer! is pretty important. Our tailgating at Pitt is about as competitive as our football team.

The indisputable fact is that Football and booze simply go together, even if you don't approve. It is a football game, not a chucky cheeses. If you can't handle it, stay home.

Go to a SEC football game at Georgia, USC, LSU, Mizzou, etc. The Beer! Beer! Beer! is pretty important. Our tailgating at Pitt is about as competitive as our football team.

The indisputable fact is that Football and booze simply go together, even if you don't approve. It is a football game, not a chucky cheeses. If you can't handle it, stay home.
Umm

The Southeastern Conference and the 23-school California State University system, for example, have policies banning alcohol from general seating areas.

Want to try again?

Are you going to leave club to purchase cheaper seats if you can drink beer elsewhere in the stadium?
I only make it up for 2 maybe 3 games a year...so I'm more likely to.
Frankly, I keep our tickets because Club seats are easier to resell or be more likely to be accepted as gifts for the games we can't make...
I couldn't give away my old Section 111 seats most of the time, well except for Tickets for Kids.

Umm

The Southeastern Conference and the 23-school California State University system, for example, have policies banning alcohol from general seating areas.

Want to try again?

You didn't get my drift. My point is that booze is a major part of football, whether it is offered in the stadium or not.

This may help drive it home: https://www.google.com/search?q=wor...&sa=X&ei=K1FWVfzpBouUNpXqgJgI&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

But we wouldn't want anything like that. It might distract from the "classy" gameday experience we are seemingly so proud of (families and empty seats).

You didn't get my drift. My point is that booze is a major part of football, whether it is offered in the stadium or not.

This may help drive it home: https://www.google.com/search?q=wor...&sa=X&ei=K1FWVfzpBouUNpXqgJgI&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

But we wouldn't want anything like that. It might distract from the "classy" gameday experience we are seemingly so proud of (families and empty seats).
So..what does this have to do with beer sales inside the stadium, which is the topic?

Thanks in advance.
frankly- the last backyard brawl I flew up that morning so I walked in the stadium stone sober. It was a sh*t show- with both drunken fanbases celebrating their idiocracy...and proving the only difference was the state on their driver licenses.

No thanks.

So..what does this have to do with beer sales inside the stadium, which is the topic?

Thanks in advance.
frankly- the last backyard brawl I flew up that morning so I walked in the stadium stone sober. It was a sh*t show- with both drunken fanbases celebrating their idiocracy...and proving the only difference was the state on their driver licenses.

No thanks.

Attempt 2: "You didn't get my drift. My point is that booze is a major part of football, whether it is offered in the stadium or not."

I'm not sure where the basic mission of having club seats which require a DONATION that goes back 100% to the Athletic Department is lost here. Right now, those seats are not sold out. Alcohol is one advantage of having those seats. It is in Pitt's best interests to sell those seats consistently before entertaining the notion of removing any perk associated with them. I don't know the math, but I am sure if Pitt could sell these seats, they would equal or come close to any cut with Aramark and/or the Steeler's with general beer sales. And right now using the math of having 50K for each game isn't relevant because until things improve consistently, it will be at least 10K less than that if not more.

Second - do you guys really, honestly believe attendance will suddenly increase because of beer sales? I would assume all of us posting have season tickets. Of course, it would be nice for those who already purchase season tickets to have availability to beer, but we aren't talking about us. We're talking about Joe Schmo casual fan out there. Do you believe the reason he doesn't attend Pitt games is because he can't drink beer?

I only make it up for 2 maybe 3 games a year...so I'm more likely to.
Frankly, I keep our tickets because Club seats are easier to resell or be more likely to be accepted as gifts for the games we can't make...
I couldn't give away my old Section 111 seats most of the time, well except for Tickets for Kids.

It wasn't a loaded question. I just know you're a bit of a craft beer nerd, so I was curious if you'd give up club seating to get good beer (and food?) in other areas without having to spend club seat money.
If I attended games, I would purchase club seats whether good beer and food was permitted in other areas or not.

Attempt #2. Which has nothing to do with beer sales in the stadium, which is the topic.

I'm not sure where the basic mission of having club seats which require a DONATION that goes back 100% to the Athletic Department is lost here. Right now, those seats are not sold out. Alcohol is one advantage of having those seats. It is in Pitt's best interests to sell those seats consistently before entertaining the notion of removing any perk associated with them. I don't know the math, but I am sure if Pitt could sell these seats, they would equal or come close to any cut with Aramark and/or the Steeler's with general beer sales. And right now using the math of having 50K for each game isn't relevant because until things improve consistently, it will be at least 10K less than that if not more.

Second - do you guys really, honestly believe attendance will suddenly increase because of beer sales? I would assume all of us posting have season tickets. Of course, it would be nice for those who already purchase season tickets to have availability to beer, but we aren't talking about us. We're talking about Joe Schmo casual fan out there. Do you believe the reason he doesn't attend Pitt games is because he can't drink beer?

To your second, question. Probably not... but it couldn't hurt! It's about having fun.... and if people have more fun at a game because they can drink a few beers, I'm not really in favor of stopping them because "it doesn't create a family atmosphere". The idiots that act terrible at the game got blasted in the parking lot, not in the stadium. More and more people are staying at home and watching their bigscreens these days so anything that gives people a reason to show up is a positive.

Good points, but I think Barnes is thinking more revenue out of who already is there. The wvu data seems to show it is at least worth looking at.

And that won't change with beer sales.
Frankly...if you think the folks who tailgate will get louder with access to beer in the stadium- or think those who don't tailgate suddenly will have the urge to drink and scream..
then, you're being foolish.

I think it's pathetic that so many of you require alcohol to cheer for your team.

Souf,
Anyone would require something to cheer for performances such as YSU, Akron, Iowa 2nd half, GT first Q, etc. The quality of the play and the opponent relates more to fan exuberance than alcohol, but I don't think that was the initial argument. The main argument is economic, and the true cost and benefit isn't just with the cost of the beer and the revenue generated. If it was a simple risk-free revenue generator, it would have already happened.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT