ADVERTISEMENT

The Miami/GT ending: Did the GT player slide into endzone too early?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001

He did. The GT player unnecessarily slid into the endzone. The rule is extremely stupid but he lowered his but and began the slide process at the 1.5 yard line. Miami absolutely deserved to lose but their coaches are even bigger idiots for not challenging the spot. Pause it and you will see.

He did. The GT player unnecessarily slid into the endzone. The rule is extremely stupid but he lowered his but and began the slide process at the 1.5 yard line. Miami absolutely deserved to lose but their coaches are even bigger idiots for not challenging the spot. Pause it and you will see.

A lot closer than what CV did. But so what. Are we going to put every slide under the microscope from here on out. Every ref will evaluate it different. The ref in the CV slide got it right.

A lot closer than what CV did. But so what. Are we going to put every slide under the microscope from here on out. Every ref will evaluate it different. The ref in the CV slide got it right.

The ref got it right for Pitt/Wake. I just think the rule is ridiculous. Should play till your down and if you fake the slide, it should go by when you began the fake and you should be penalized (like faking a fair catch). Point is though, if you call it for Pitt/Wake, you have to at least review this Miami/GT one. But Cristobal is as stupid as they come.

They should change the rule, spot the ball where the butt hits the ground, then it's not a judgement call.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
I’m not sure that a coach can challenge inside 2 minutes. I think that’s why Narduzzi didn’t.

They should change the rule, spot the ball where the butt hits the ground, then it's not a judgement call.
ok but if they do that then the defender gets to hit the runner/qb up until the butt hits the ground. And then you get into "hitting a defenseless player."

i mean, this is a legit good question. Usually you replay the slide when a defender is coming at the runner, not chasing him behind. but by the letter of the rule, yeah, he's down before he gets into the endzone..

ok but if they do that then the defender gets to hit the runner/qb up until the butt hits the ground. And then you get into "hitting a defenseless player."

i mean, this is a legit good question. Usually you replay the slide when a defender is coming at the runner, not chasing him behind. but by the letter of the rule, yeah, he's down before he gets into the endzone..

I dont view a ball carrier as a defenseless player. Its a stupid rule. A defender should be able to blast the slider until he's actually down. The sliding player can see the play and can protect himself somewhat from a hit.....or here's a crazy idea, dont slide. We went to crazy for a once in a lifetime play. This GT TD probably should have been overturned and that would have been stupid

I dont view a ball carrier as a defenseless player. Its a stupid rule. A defender should be able to blast the slider until he's actually down. The sliding player can see the play and can protect himself somewhat from a hit.....or here's a crazy idea, dont slide. We went to crazy for a once in a lifetime play. This GT TD probably should have been overturned and that would have been stupid
well the refs do. When a QB is running and starts the process of sliding, they are helpless, i mean in the rule book. if you have DBs and LBs able to tee off on a sliding QB, before butt hits ground, you'd have some epic collisions. i'd love it but i love seeing players get demolished but i could imagine people who dont want the qbs to die in mid-game, would be against this.

Did he intentionally slide or was he tripping?

If you read the actual rule you would not have wasted time with another dumb post... the slide has to be an "obvious" attempt at a slide. Apparently you think this kid was making an obvious attempt to avoid a hit with no defenders in front of him at the goal line for a game winning td. . Classic.

Reactions: PittED2001

Or you could just say you can't hit the guy when he starts sliding and then spot it where his butt hits the ground, it's all subjective anyways.

Again, this isnt the rule as it is read in the rulebook. The rulebook itself clearly states where the slide starts. Their interpretation released later says the butt thing, but this is certainly one of the most incredibly stupid things Ive ever heard. I thought the fake slide rule was the butt thing... oh well, we clearly lost a game this year completely do to this stupid interpretation

Again, this isnt the rule as it is read in the rulebook. The rulebook itself clearly states where the slide starts. Their interpretation released later says the butt thing, but this is certainly one of the most incredibly stupid things Ive ever heard. I thought the fake slide rule was the butt thing... oh well, we clearly lost a game this year completely do to this stupid interpretation

Right but the GT player lowered his butt before the endzone. Anytime you get into something this stupid and subjective, it means the rule itself is stupid. The above poster who said the rule shouldn't apply because he wasn't avoiding a hit doesn't matter. A slide is a slide. The rule doesn't state it only counts as a slide if you are trying to avoid contact.

BTW, I wonder if the GT player slid because he thought he didnt know the rule and thought he had to make the endzone before 0.0.

Right but the GT player lowered his butt before the endzone. Anytime you get into something this stupid and subjective, it means the rule itself is stupid. The above poster who said the rule shouldn't apply because he wasn't avoiding a hit doesn't matter. A slide is a slide. The rule doesn't state it only counts as a slide if you are trying to avoid contact.

BTW, I wonder if the GT player slid because he thought he didnt know the rule and thought he had to make the endzone before 0.0.

No, I completely agree with you, and you are right.

I would think per their interpretation its clear your take is right.

No, I completely agree with you, and you are right.

I would think per their interpretation its clear your take is right.

Had it been reviewed, I would wonder if there was a better camera angle though, like a goal line cam. Probably. That would have been really interesting had they overturned it because the Pitt/Wake game was a few weeks later and CV and Duzz would have known the rule then. Regardless of what they tell you, there is no way CV and Duzz knew that rule. The GT player didnt. Cristobal didnt. No one did.

The ref got it right for Pitt/Wake. I just think the rule is ridiculous. Should play till your down and if you fake the slide, it should go by when you began the fake and you should be penalized (like faking a fair catch). Point is though, if you call it for Pitt/Wake, you have to at least review this Miami/GT one. But Cristobal is as stupid as they come.
Problem is different refs call it different ways. You are right though. That rule needs to go away.

Problem is different refs call it different ways. You are right though. That rule needs to go away.

They are too afraid of the fake slide, a play that happened once in 150 years. Just go back to when you are down you are down and if you are sliding QB, either dont slide, or protect yourself during the slide. If someone fakes a slide, penalize him and go by where he lowered his butt.

Had it been reviewed, I would wonder if there was a better camera angle though, like a goal line cam. Probably. That would have been really interesting had they overturned it because the Pitt/Wake game was a few weeks later and CV and Duzz would have known the rule then. Regardless of what they tell you, there is no way CV and Duzz knew that rule. The GT player didnt. Cristobal didnt. No one did.

That is because it is not a rule, its an interpretation.

The runner was not sliding, though. That is the difference. Sliding is intentionally giving yourself up, and he was not doing that - he went to the ground as he crossed the goal line, and his knee wasn't down until he had crossed it.

The runner was not sliding, though. That is the difference. Sliding is intentionally giving yourself up, and he was not doing that - he went to the ground as he crossed the goal line, and his knee wasn't down until he had crossed it.

What was he doing then? Tripping? To me, it appeared to be a slide, albeit an awkard looking one. Looked like he was trying to beat the clock, not knowing he didnt have to.

Or you could just say you can't hit the guy when he starts sliding and then spot it where his butt hits the ground, it's all subjective anyways.
then you are giving the qb about an extra 2-3 yards every time they slide.

then you are giving the qb about an extra 2-3 yards every time they slide.

Right, which is why you should be able to light him up until he's down like every other play. He's a ball carrier. No need to give yourself up. If you are that afraid of contact, don't slide and just go right into the fetal position. No extra yards to be had if you do the fetal.

Right, which is why you should be able to light him up until he's down like every other play. He's a ball carrier. No need to give yourself up. If you are that afraid of contact, don't slide and just go right into the fetal position. No extra yards to be had if you do the fetal.
im not sure if you've noticed but they've made a strong effort to protect qbs. it's why there is a roughing the passer penalty on 33% of every sack in the nfl anymore.

i agree with you but the people that make the rules feel like qb health is a top priority.

im not sure if you've noticed but they've made a strong effort to protect qbs. it's why there is a roughing the passer penalty on 33% of every sack in the nfl anymore.

i agree with you but the people that make the rules feel like qb health is a top priority.

A scrambling QB is more like a RB in my opinion. He made the decision to become a ball carrier. Dont slide and just cower into the fetal position. A slide is an athletic move. You cant take away yardage gained from a slide. Give them the yardage but also allow them to be hit. A ball carrier should know how to protect themselves. I am only half-joking when I say if they are so worried about contact then go immediately into the fetal position.

What was he doing then? Tripping? To me, it appeared to be a slide, albeit an awkard looking one. Looked like he was trying to beat the clock, not knowing he didnt have to.
I don't think he was intentionally sliding, he's somewhat out of control barreling forward after catching the ball, was trying to keep himself from stumbling and slipped.

Say they call him down at the 1, wouldn't the clock have stopped until the snap due to Miami getting a penalty for their fans throwing bottles on the field?

Reactions: Upg bobcat
He was “sliding “ every bit as much as CV was “sliding” vs Wake …

Which is why this rule is trash

Interpretation of dipping the hips is absolute nonsense

Reactions: PittAU
The purpose of a slide is to give yourself up and end the play. Why would anyone do that when they are running into the end zone on the last play of the game? The clock was running out on that play, no matter what he did. It was not a slide!

So what? If they didn't slide they would have gone much further usually.
So What? so lets dance.

Dance Golf GIF - Dance Golf Excited GIFs

Reactions: BreakingPitt
The purpose of a slide is to give yourself up and end the play. Why would anyone do that when they are running into the end zone on the last play of the game? The clock was running out on that play, no matter what he did. It was not a slide!

This is a strange take. Why would anyone give themselves up one yard from the 1st down marker when no one is close to you? CV unnecessarily gave himself up and so did the GT player. It shouldn't make any difference if the GT player was about to be tackled or not. Maybe the GT player pulled a hamstring and decided to slide so he wouldn't get hit from behind. I know, extremely unlikely but a slide is a slide. Its a stupid rule.

He was “sliding “ every bit as much as CV was “sliding” vs Wake …

Which is why this rule is trash

Interpretation of dipping the hips is absolute nonsense
the actual rule since no one thought to bring it into a debate about it....Ball Declared Dead ARTICLE 3. Section F.

When a ball carrier obviously begins a feet-first slide. Any time a ballcarrier simulates or fakes a feet-first slide, the ball should be declared dead by the on-field officials at that point.

the CV slide was obvious in that it, uh, was obvious what he was doing....the kid going into the endzone for the game winning touchdown with no defenders in front of him could in no way be deemed obvious... so no, they are not even in the same universe as being the same...

And that is the problem.

If there are rules, there can’t be different evaluations.

to me it's a small price to pay to take judgement out of it
i think if you give them the spot where butt hits ground then you HAVE TO allow a defender to hit him up until that point.

you just cant tell defenders that they are helpless the second they start the process and you cant touch them at the same time giving them the spot where they hit. that just doesnt make sense.

then you have defenders teeing off on a qb who's in mid slide. which would be great from an entertainment perspective but again, you'd have dudes going off on stretchers every week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT