The Quote

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
As I believe it will become known.

First, it was not taken out of context. It was the first thing Narduzzi said :

“I’ll go back, as a football coach you lose a lot of good players from a year ago and you think as a coach you’re going to replace them and obviously we haven’t.”

That’s how he started. He dissed his players. We lost good players and the replacements aren’t very good. That’s what he said. That’s where he lost his team. That’s why he now is, or at least should be, toast. That’s why you are going to see a boatload of players in the transfer portal. Bartholomew, Bass, DeShields, and Hammond are among the players who commented publicly. They are among the best players on the team. They are all gone.

Realizing what he had said, Narduzzi then quickly resorted to Coachspeak to try to minimize the damage:

“Again, it starts with me. I didn’t do a good enough job coaching today. Put it on me…”

Typical Coachspeak. Realizing what he had said, and the significance, he tried to divert attention onto his coaching. But, he still couldn’t resist blaming the players one more time:

“…and we’ve got to make plays.”

Without saying it again, the inference was inescapable from his first statement: We don’t make plays because we don’t have good players.

That’s it. His remarks weren’t taken out of context. He said his new players who replaced last year’s players weren’t good enough and they didn’t make plays.

56 words. With 56 words, he lost a football team. He probably lost at least half the recruiting class. The good half. All of the attempt to promote Pitt to recruits as a family where everyone loves each other and the coaches see you as more than a football player went up in flames. Opposing coaches who are going to recruit our recruits will be ruthless using those words. And, they should be. Narduzzi gave them everything they could ever need.

He can’t fix it. A win over FSU would fix it. That won’t happen. Norvell will run it up. The widespread belief that this team has quit will be cemented in minds. Narduzzi can’t change that. His tweet to try to shift the blame to him was pathetically transparent.

His value to Pitt as a FB coach is over. Ended by his big mouth. He should resign. If not, he must be fired. Not today. Don’t appoint Partridge as the interim coach before getting hammered by FSU. Let that be HCPN’s swan song. Fire him next Sunday. Let Partridge hopefully lead the team to a win in New York the following week. Damage control is all that is left now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News