ADVERTISEMENT

Time for reinvention?

Teh Teh

Senior
Aug 25, 2005
I was thinking about this over the weekend, and with our new coach new attitude I thought perhaps a new branding could also be in place. What do people think about switching to black and gold or yellow? I certainly like our color structure now, but I thought it may be a cool new twist we can go to. Living in various places around the country I noticed one reason the Steelers have a big following is the cool uniform and of course success. Think there would be a huge uproar over this? I think actually penn state steeler fans would be the list upset.

I don't know what exactly is in the works but it seems fairly obvious to me, admittedly not from an insider's perspective, that a re-branding of Pitt is already underway. If I had to guess, I would think substantial changes will be announced over the summer. The new coaches have already hinted a ton and constantly are posting pictures of new branding designs ... combine that with the blackout at the Pete and I think the stars are aligning for at least some type of substantial re-branding.

NO! Pitt is navy and gold. I don't mind switching around inside those color schemes like the blue and yellows under Gottfried and Hackett but a change to black from blue would be a slap in the face.

That Black Uniform should be always be main one.It looked great and

there is something about wearing black just looks fantastic. People will say that kids choose their teams on wins and losses but I believe you are undervaluing what just looks cool. Right now we look like a mash-up of Navy and Notre Dame.

The Bubble Pitt on a black uniform for football is a no brainer after seeing how good it looked on the court.

Throw in Black Growl Towels that benefit kids who can"t afford care at UPMC Cancer facilities (or another worthy charity) and you have a little bit more energy pumping on third downs and after TDs.

The Black was great. I had to watch parts of the game from a distant TV and it looked great. The crowd was certainly great but the Black took it to another level.

I hope Pitt Basketball is a whisper to the future for branding.

Tremendous.

There simply is no rule stating Blue and Gold have to be on Uniform.

Uh, did you see the reports that the black uniforms and Zoo shirts were actually ordered over 1 year ago? This did not happen due to the new Chancellor and coaching staff, and SP leaving. It has been in the works for a long time.

There were stories when he first arrived here that Pederson's original move away from bright blue and mustard to "Midnight blue" and "Vegas gold" was the first step of a re-branding transition to black and gold to match the professional teams'colors and that lead to negative backlash.

Originally posted by Teh Teh:
I was thinking about this over the weekend, and with our new coach new attitude I thought perhaps a new branding could also be in place. What do people think about switching to black and gold or yellow? I certainly like our color structure now, but I thought it may be a cool new twist we can go to. Living in various places around the country I noticed one reason the Steelers have a big following is the cool uniform and of course success. Think there would be a huge uproar over this? I think actually penn state steeler fans would be the list upset.
I don't like how so many teams now are going the way of Oregon and changing their uniforms every single week. However, I do like those Midnight Panther uniforms. One of the assistant coaches tweeted out a picture of them and said something like they have to wear those next year. I think 1 game per year wearing the Midnight Panther uniform is enough. I don't want to be like West Virginia just changing up uniform combinations every week for no reasons. Just pick a uniform set, stay with it, and have 1 designated Midnight Panther game per year (ND would good since its probably a late night game or the UNC Thursday nighter).

Maybe a throwback game every couple years honoring some great team of the past or a black and gold uniform honoring the city with maybe a Pitt logo on one side and the city's crest on the other or something like that.

The problem with branding overhauls is that the people that always want to tear down and completely rebrand everything usually don't understand what they are doing.

That is definitely what happened when Pederson rebranded the Pitt athletic department in the mid 90s. That moron dropped the complete brand out of the sky and issued it like an edict from on high. There is no example in history of that approach ever working. You get key stakeholders under the same tent and you introduce it slowly and with great buy-in from those folks so that they become your best sales people. You make them feel heard and you include them in the process. Steve Pederson did none of those things because he did not value public relations. That is why he is so reviled.

There is no reason on this earth why the University of Pittsburgh cannot use the terms "Pitt" and "Pittsburgh" interchangeably when referring to it's sports programs. If the University of Connecticut (Connecticut/UConn) can use two nicknames and so can the University of California (California/Cal) and Louisiana State University (Louisiana State/LSU), so too can the University of Pittsburgh use both Pittsburgh and Pitt. The Panthers men's basketball team should have home uniforms that read "Pitt" and at least one set of road uniforms that read "Pittsburgh." However, through what can only be described as obscene arrogance and gross incompetence, Pederson turned a very innocuous matter that could've been handled very subtly into a major controversy by plowing into it like Godzilla taking a stroll through Tokyo.

From that point forward, it turned into an old guard versus new guard issue issue, which never should have happened. Now, instead of having something for everyone to celebrate and rally around, you have created a bone of contention for no reason whatsoever other than to demonstrate your authority. That was very stupid and very shortsighted on Steve Pederson's part.

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

I would like to think that the people running Pitt now are smarter than the people who were running it before and won't make such an idiotic mistake.

I think you will see the script Pitt on everything and will quickly become the university's, not just the football program's, primary logo. I don't think you will see the men's basketball team wearing the script Pitt anytime soon. However, I do believe that they will lose the drop shadows on the block Pitt and move to a flatter, plainer look on its uniform - very similar to what we saw on Saturday against Syracuse.

I have noticed over the past few years that a lot of the official Pitt athletics gear has been moving away from the mark that had drop shadows/reverse drop shadows and instead were favoring the flat block Pitt look. I also noticed how much nicer that gear looked than its predecessors that had the drop shadows/reversed drop shadows on them. The flatter block look also gives designers significantly more flexibility in their designs.

To be honest, that was where I thought our branding was headed. I thought they were going to announce that they were losing to drop shadows everywhere but on the Pitt helmet - where, oddly enough, the drop shadow actually worked and looked nice.

On the men's basketball uniforms, the drop shadows also look fine - particularly on the home whites. However, I think they would look better if they were simplified. The road blues are a little cheesy looking - precisely because of the reverse drop shadows.

I do not foresee Pitt going to black and gold uniforms on anything but a one-off basis. I think black could become our new "third jersey," as it were. However, I don't think it will (or should) ever supplant blue as one of the university's primary colors. This isn't a pro sports franchise, it is a major university steeped in tradition. If Pitt did attempt such a boneheaded move, and the rumor is that in the mid 90s proven marketing genius Steve Peterson himself contemplated it, that would be a very foolish decision and would definitely be met with great controversy and would fail.

Branding without public relations is like buying a new car without any wheels. It may look beautiful but it is not going anywhere.

H2P!
This post was edited on 2/9 10:33 AM by Dr. von Yinzer

Nonsense....we are NOT the Steelers, Jr.

Our colors/uniforms/logo, etc. have NEVER been the problem. Winning cures all those minor griping points.

I fancy myself to be a Pitt Script Traditional type, but I like where your head is SMF. That's a pretty creative idea you have there....

A black and gold script game would be interesting.

Would sell jerseys and intrigue people. Pitt would screw it up, however.

Originally posted by HailtoPitt81:

I fancy myself to be a Pitt Script Traditional type, but I like where your head is SMF. That's a pretty creative idea you have there....
Pitt has used the marketing slogan, "Your City, Your team" or something like that trying to play off of the whole Pittsburgh pride thing. That's what made me think that if we can designate one game per year as some type of Pittsburgh game (maybe we honor the PPD and PFD or something like that) and wear some black and gold (not yellow) uniforms, it might go over well. More merchandise to sell and it sends that subliminal message to local recruits that this IS Pittsburgh's team.

Also, just to go back at Penn State a little bit, I might even have some type of "Pennsylvania Day." Look up some milestone that PA hit recently and use it as an excuse to wear the Pennslyvania flag on the helmet, put the PA map at midfield (give the spray painters an extra $100), and put out some message through the media that insinuates that we ARE the state's team.

Rebranding has to be well thougth out, well executed and necessary. Unfortunately, Pitt has generally not done either well. Even companies built on marketing often stumble, e.g. New Coke. There is no reason to "rebrand" Pitt. Changing the colors is a bad idea...especially if you are going to deviate from the schools colors of blue and gold. Can you imagine the Steelers or Yankees rebranding? Just so completely silly to even think about. If you are looking to drive merchadise sales...either win, offer higher quality product with good designs, or develop secondary logos like all the professional sports franchises generally do. Pitt going black and gold should not even be in the remotest of plans for anyone that has even the slightest clue about branding. Hail to Pitt!

SMF, I like the idea of the state outline midfield and PITT in the center and of course when we play the nitters....

From the Cheap Seats; well stated Pitt Law. The school

colors are blue and gold, use them.

Re: From the Cheap Seats; well stated Pitt Law. The school

Our colors are Blue and Gold.

Period.

To change to Black and Gold to "re brand' is simply admitting failure. " we suck....so we want to be like our big brothers in town"

Eff that.

The absolute SMARTEST thing Pitt could do is do a ONE GAME tribute to the Pro sports teams by coming out in a black and gold uniform.

Put the Pirate P....The Penguins logo and the Steelers Logo in decal form on the back of a Pitt Helmet...or on the shoulder of the jersey, or both.

THAT will make NATIONAL news on ESPN and would gather some interest among Yinzers.

But Pitt was here LONG before the Steelers or the Penguins....and had every bit as much success as the Pirates in the early part of the 20th Century.....

We are Blue and Gold.....Period.

Tweaking the shades of blue and gold and a one off black uniform is fine, but a full change to black and gold is stupid. Logo wise the script Pitt should be used in all sports and I'd rather see a full Panther on the prowl as the secondary logo.

If I was in charge here's how I'd do things.

Football
Jerseys: Blue, White(would wear at home for day game early in season), Throwback(once a year for homecoming), Black(one night game a season).
Pants: Gold, Blue, Throwback, Black(one night game a season), burn the white pants the white on white looks like pajamas.
Helmets: Gold(script Pitt, blue/white stripes, blue facemask), Blue(script Pitt, gold/white stripes, blue facemask), Throwback, Black(matte black with chrome gold prowling panther and facemask)

Basketball
Jerseys: White(script Panthers), White(script Pitt), Blue(script Pitt), Blue(script Pittsburgh), Black(one game a season, script Pitt), Gold(script Pitt).

Baseball/Softball
Caps: Blue(script P), Blue with Gold bill(script P)
Jersey: Solid White(script Panthers), White w Blue piping(script P), Solid Blue(script Pitt or Panthers), Grey w Blue piping(script Pittsburgh)

I thought we were Gold and Blue.

Football's just about fine as is with the script helmet.

Basketball should remain block except for a alternate jersey used for gold outs and black (midnight) outs. The black (midnight) jersey should have PANTHERS on it and the gold alternate should have script. Done.

Oh, no, please, DO NOT change the colors to black and gold. That's goofy.

This post was edited on 2/9 3:18 PM by JohnnyGossamer

Wear black and gold script against Miami

and make it a tribute game to the NFL players from both teams. Miami can wear something reminiscent of the Dolphins perhaps. Have former and current NFL greats from each team at the game. Create a trophy for the winner of the annual game. Have a social media campaign with the former players ribbing each other. Revis taking a shot at Ray Lewis on twitter, for example.

Dr.

I totally agree with everything you say. I also think Pitt and Pittsburgh are fine, and actually good. I dont think there is any reason not to use it.

I do like our current colors, they are my colors from when I went to school. But I do like the black look on the basketball unis and I think it will be a cool factor in football.

Plus, the stadium could just stay black and gold, the fans have plenty of black and gold, and I for one, would no longer have the pet peeve of seeing black and gold at Pitt games in the stands.

Anyways, this has been a good discussion. I would like to see the color re-branded. With a gold Pitt in Script, I think it would look very cool.

By the way... all that says this idea is "stupid"... has to be something wrong with you. It obviously isnt stupid. The Penguins did it!! It worked very well. Pittsburgh's sports colors are black and gold. Has no barring on a little brother thing, and if you have that low of self esteem that you mention such a thing, I certainly feel badly for you.
This post was edited on 2/9 5:52 PM by The Loaded Italian

Navy-Blue-lg.jpg

If you look back in the annuls of Pitt history, our school colors are Old Gold and Navy Blue. There are a few shades of Navy Blue. Our blue now is close but a shade or 2 too dark. It should be a shade darker than the attached color swatch but not Royal bright Royal Blue as the throwback stuff is colored. The Dorsett pic has it right. Certainly not the Royal Blue that the admin used vs YSU years ago either.
pitt-4-lg.jpg

This post was edited on 2/10 7:27 AM by GhostOfPITT40

The mustard is bad. Our current scheme is great.

Perhaps they'll switch to brown at the new stadium on 2nd Ave.?? Or sooty red??

Pitt is blue and gold...and has been long before the Steelers came on the scene in black and gold. Changing a school's colors is just not something that is done...at least not by any school that has any tradition, history or self-respect. If you want to see black and gold on college uniforms...make the road trip to Iowa this fall. I'm nearly certain that our leadership will not follow your line of thinking. Hail to Pitt!

Re: Reply

The Steelers should switch to blue and gold out of respect for us because we've won more championships in a more difficult environment

+1 Love it! Heck, just think of all the new merchandise they would have to sell. Perhaps you can submit this idea to the Rooney's to help them through their next financial crisis? Hail to Pitt!

Doing a Black out would be cool....

Using matte black...and Pitts gold...using Stillers yellow would not...

Plenty of other schools have done black without referencing a pro team...

The rest of the year use regular script OR...use some of those designs the Free the Script dude made...ie new panther head..prowling panther...chrome helmet once in awhile...

But have the basis be similar to what we have now...all other options are just that...options.

Forget talk of changing colors.(black n gold..red n black)..but I think having options utilizing new ideas would be cool...and frankly would generate buzz.

They'll blackmail the taxpayers next time. It was easy in 1998.

Just ignore the 2-1 vote against building the new joints. At least we got PNC Park, and HF isn't close enough to ruin its beauty.

Re: They'll blackmail the taxpayers next time. It was easy in 1998.

I will repeat.......

Pitt's colors are Blue and Gold,

However....once a year....a black and gold tribute uniform to the pro teams in Pittsburgh is a tape measure home run for Pitt athletics with NO downside whatsoever.....

not going to work, nor should it. The steelers 70's success is why iowa went to their current uniform style (to mimick the steelers and their wining ways).
Unless they go back to the mustard and blue, which they won't ,Pitt's blue and gold is fine and the script is back . Lets leave it alone.

Originally posted by Las Panteras:
I will repeat.......

However....once a year....a black and gold tribute uniform to the pro teams in Pittsburgh is a tape measure home run for Pitt athletics with NO downside whatsoever.....
What does that actually mean - a tape measure homerun? Are you suggesting that Pitt would sell out its home games because they wore black and gold "tribute" uniforms? I'm not sure that would be true at all.

I think there is a lot of downside to Pitt further watering down it's established brand. Also, I see very little upside in marketing yourselves as the Steelers' JV team. That seems like a very foolish plan to me.

Originally posted by Dr. von Yinzer:

Originally posted by Las Panteras:
I will repeat.......

What does that actually mean - a tape measure homerun? Are you suggesting that Pitt would sell out its home games because they wore black and gold "tribute" uniforms? I'm not sure that would be true at all.

I think there is a lot of downside to Pitt further watering down it's established brand. Also, I see very little upside in marketing yourselves as the Steelers' JV team. That seems like a very foolish plan to me.
You are correct, Good Doctor.... i was not clear at all.

If Pitt were to pull this off, the local media....with an angle on getting a Steelers story in the nightly news....would embrace this.

ESPN.....showing highlights of Pitt's game on College Football Saturday....would lead with "Pitt...paying tribute to the City's teams".....

Perhaps the announcers doing the game....mentioning the uniform....would add that Pitt shares facilities with the Steelers.

To me ( and I suspect to Coach Narduzzi).....these things can only help with recruiting.

One game only.....

Are some of you people high? The idea of Pitt wearing Black and Gold is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard and I love the Steelers, Pirates and Penguins as much as any Yinzer you'd see at a Donnie Iris concert, eating a chipped ham sandwich and drinking a Straub.

Originally posted by happjack:
Are some of you people high? The idea of Pitt wearing Black and Gold is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard and I love the Steelers, Pirates and Penguins as much as any Yinzer you'd see at a Donnie Iris concert, eating a chipped ham sandwich and drinking a Straub.
Eat me

its Iron City, fool..........

I'm just not sold.

Originally posted by happjack:
I agree with Happjack.. I consider myself a yinzer and very proud of it.. With that said, I don't want Pitt to change to black and gold, at all. Terrible idea..

Wow... so any idea that someone doesnt like is a yinzer idea?

It certainly isnt a horrible idea to talk over. Our brand kinda blows now, our dinocat thing sucks, and most of the apparel is pretty lame as well. I will wear some Pitt gear, but there is NO doubt we will be re-branding anyways soon... we have to. Even during my days at Pitt, there isnt a great deal of blue and yellow around campus, is there? I dont recall it.

That being said, I wouldnt switch colors, but it is something, if it was done, I wouldnt mind. We wouldnt be changing to the Steelers JV team, we would be switching to Pittsburgh's colors like all the other teams.

Good debate anyways on here.

Originally posted by The Loaded Italian:
Wow... so any idea that someone doesnt like is a yinzer idea?

It certainly isnt a horrible idea to talk over. Our brand kinda blows now, our dinocat thing sucks, and most of the apparel is pretty lame as well. I will wear some Pitt gear, but there is NO doubt we will be re-branding anyways soon... we have to. Even during my days at Pitt, there isnt a great deal of blue and yellow around campus, is there? I dont recall it.

That being said, I wouldnt switch colors, but it is something, if it was done, I wouldnt mind. We wouldnt be changing to the Steelers JV team, we would be switching to Pittsburgh's colors like all the other teams.

Good debate anyways on here.
Loaded Italian, it comes off as being the steelers JV team to me. Especially how we are considered a tenant of the Steelers at Heinz already (I know the steelers don't own it but that is how it is perceived).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT