ADVERTISEMENT

Tonight’s game (defending Bacot)

4upmc

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2017
Going to be a good one, hopefully Pitt gets it done and ends any doubt about getting in the big dance.

Would you double Bacot and take the chance of Davis, Ryan and Ingram getting hot from 3?

IMO early on you let Fede & Diaz play him straight up and see what happens. If Bacot starts to over power them and gets going you are going to have to double. But you have to give a bunch of different looks. Sometimes double on the catch, sometimes on the first dribble, come from the weak side, etc.

I would use the guy defending Cadeau to double who is a poor shooter from 3. Dare the kid to shoot as he’s 19% from 3.

Also Fede & Diaz need to guard him multiple ways not just behind. Use their length to front and 3 quarter. We may try zone but NC hits the O glass hard.

Thoughts?

Play Bacot straight up. Fede has been decent against him. No way you leave Davis. I agree the double comes from Cadeau if possible.
Hopefully they are calling the game like yesterday's first half, and not like yesterday's second half.

Because Fede will be in foul trouble before the first TV timeout if it is the latter.

Reactions: 4upmc
Play Bacot straight up. Fede has been decent against him. No way you leave Davis. I agree the double comes from Cadeau if possible.
I agree. We need the refs to help since Fede and especially GDG get in a lot of foul trouble, but all year I've thought one of our few flaws as a team is over-helping on defense. We then can be slow to rotate back and give up hockey assist threes. The other thing that worries me is if Fede doubles or hard hedges on Bacot screens then gives up alley oops. Just have Fede stick to Bacot like glue and try to run everyone else off the three point line. They're a really good team, which is exactly why you can't give them a bunch of open shots.

Cadeau has really bad shooting numbers but even there, if you over help, he can drive and finish above the rim if you lose him.

Agree Fede has been solid against him, but he has to stay out of foul trouble. Even though the game isn’t being played in NC, hopefully the ACC refs call a fair game.

Going to be a good one, hopefully Pitt gets it done and ends any doubt about getting in the big dance.

Would you double Bacot and take the chance of Davis, Ryan and Ingram getting hot from 3?

IMO early on you let Fede & Diaz play him straight up and see what happens. If Bacot starts to over power them and gets going you are going to have to double. But you have to give a bunch of different looks. Sometimes double on the catch, sometimes on the first dribble, come from the weak side, etc.

I would use the guy defending Cadeau to double who is a poor shooter from 3. Dare the kid to shoot as he’s 19% from 3.

Also Fede & Diaz need to guard him multiple ways not just behind. Use their length to front and 3 quarter. We may try zone but NC hits the O glass hard.

Thoughts?
Play Bacot strait up. He is not Wilt Chamberlain. One thing our bigs need to do is start defending these guys on their baseline shoulder. Take away that base line spin move. Make them spin towards the foul line where their is help possible.

Cadeau has really bad shooting numbers but even there, if you over help, he can drive and finish above the rim if you lose him.
Yep he can really drive so yes you defend him but I would really sag off him to clog up the paint. Sure he can get a “running start” but make him prove he can hit a J. Not just 3 but mid range.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Play Bacot strait up. He is not Wilt Chamberlain. One thing our bigs need to do is start defending these guys on their baseline shoulder. Take away that base line spin move. Make them spin towards the foul line where their is help possible.
One advantage that Bacot has, despite somewhat rudimentary post moves, is no bigs around today have any post defense skills. I understand why, obviously their job has shifted to rim defender against the pick and roll and ISO game, but it's sad how bad some of our guys look sometimes defending the rare deep post guy

Can also throw different looks at Davis. Bub with his length, Ish can get physical with him, Lowe has the quicks. Keep a rotation and when a guy gets a little tired (cause the 3 guards will play most of the game) put the tired guy on Ryan, face guard Ryan as he hasn’t proven he can drive.

Can also throw different looks at Davis. Bub with his length, Ish can get physical with him, Lowe has the quicks. Keep a rotation and when a guy gets a little tired (cause the 3 guards will play most of the game) put the tired guy on Ryan, face guard Ryan as he hasn’t proven he can drive.
I have a funny feeling that Jeffress is going to play a role tonight. 8-10 minutes of hard defending against Bacot, being physical and sending Bacot to the line a few times.

Thoughts?

Attack the interior on offense and try to get him in foul trouble the exact same way we did to Efton Reid yesterday. Dribble penetration right into the heart of the defense. You saw Jaland Lowe feast yesterday at the foul line with consistent dribble penetration. We need Lowe and Leggett to attack the inside.

That's not the answer you were looking for, but Im not trying to win this game by launching 3s. Im trying to attack the interior first and shoot 3s second.

Regards to defense, I would play him straight up, but our guards are going to have to cheat to the inside so we dont get crushed on the glass. UNC pummeled Florida State on the boards yesterday and they beat us up on the glass the last time we played them. Cadeau can't shoot, so cheat heavily off of him to the interior for rebound help. I would dare this guy to beat us from 3. That strategy has backfired against us at times, but we are going up against an NCAA tournament 1 seed here.

I would utilize an early double teams at times on Bacot anywhere near the baseline. Try to get him to turn it over which is an area he struggles sometimes.

I want our offense to play under more control. Blake Hinson got way to trigger happy yesterday after we opened a big lead and it led to Wake's comeback. We need to be more patient in this game and not get into a high scoring match. Also, limit turnovers.

Im not playing zone in this game. Cormac Ryan has been on fire lately and RJ Davis is the best player in the ACC.

I have a funny feeling that Jeffress is going to play a role tonight. 8-10 minutes of hard defending against Bacot, being physical and sending Bacot to the line a few times.
Could be right. Though he doesn’t have the length Will has more physical strength than Fede and Diaz.

Could be right. Though he doesn’t have the length Will has more physical strength than Fede and Diaz.
Correct.

And it gives you 5 more fouls to use against Bacot. Might even allow for some Fede&G-Man in the game at the same time.

And Will Jeffress will have the freshest legs on the Panthers.

Attack the interior on offense and try to get him in foul trouble the exact same way we did to Efton Reid yesterday. Dribble penetration right into the heart of the defense. You saw Jaland Lowe feast yesterday at the foul line with consistent dribble penetration. We need Lowe and Leggett to attack the inside.

That's not the answer you were looking for, but Im not trying to win this game by launching 3s. Im trying to attack the interior first and shoot 3s second.

Regards to defense, I would play him straight up, but our guards are going to have to cheat to the inside so we dont get crushed on the glass. UNC pummeled Florida State on the boards yesterday and they beat us up on the glass the last time we played them. Cadeau can't shoot, so cheat heavily off of him to the interior for rebound help. I would dare this guy to beat us from 3. That strategy has backfired against us at times, but we are going up against an NCAA tournament 1 seed here.

I would utilize an early double teams at times on Bacot anywhere near the baseline. Try to get him to turn it over which is an area he struggles sometimes.

I want our offense to play under more control. Blake Hinson got way to trigger happy yesterday after we opened a big lead and it led to Wake's comeback. We need to be more patient in this game and not get into a high scoring match. Also, limit turnovers.

Im not playing zone in this game. Cormac Ryan has been on fire lately and RJ Davis is the best player in the ACC.
Getting him in foul trouble solves a lot of problems, so yes drive. Ish stay in attack mode.

Correct.

And it gives you 5 more fouls to use against Bacot. Might even allow for some Fede&G-Man in the game at the same time.

And Will Jeffress will have the freshest legs on the Panthers.
If nothing else, Jeffress gives you 5 extra fouls.

Thoughts?
Fede and Bacot not exactly the battle of GQ runway models....

They're 7.5 dogs. Play with fire and intensity and shoot it well, we have a puncher's chance.
if Hinson does not duplicate his worst shooting performance of the year as he kind of did the first time they played they have better than a puncher's chance...

Reactions: nycpanther98
Hopefully they are calling the game like yesterday's first half, and not like yesterday's second half.

Because Fede will be in foul trouble before the first TV timeout if it is the latter.
Do not want to see Valentine or Luckie.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT