ADVERTISEMENT

Tuesday Night

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
There are mixed signals on just how involved this search firm will be. One of my sources says it i just for the venting. Others think it will be run the whole way through. If they are only paying them $25,000, maybe it is just the first stage.

I think Fogler has a decent track record, at least from what I know. He got Boynton the job at Oklahoma State I know. Still a lot of research to do. He may push some of his own guys but every search firm in the country does that. Just have to hope that there is not a prior relationship there, and that there are some existing circumstances around it.

Believe it or not, the vast majority of schools use search firms. Just seems like they can't get around it. It's sad, but athletic directors have basically become glorified fundraisers.

Here is what I know. This search is to secret, of course. Very few leaks, so it is curious where any of this information is coming from. Several people close to the process have told me that Heather is keeping things close to the vest but has a general knowledge of all of these candidates. We all know that she has been working on this for a while.

Here are the names I have heard the most, and I will add my thought to each.

Dan Hurley - probably the safest hire with the highest floor. Sounds like a battle with UConn. Pitt has more money but some think Hurley has his eyes on UConn. I think Hurley is the top candidate but I can't confirm that.
Sean Miller - I know Sean wants out of Arizona and he has for a couple of years, but I am not wasting much time on this one until there is a scheduled press conference. Just don't see any possible way she can even consider this move right now.
John Becker - His name is gaining steam. I think he is a fine basketball coach, just not sure I see the fit right now. Vermont is one of the plum jobs in that conference. He would not generate much buzz.
Chris Jent - The whispers are starting. This would be a reach in my opinion. Another move that is not going to move the needle. Just not sure how you could go to him in this situation right now.
Joe Dooley - His name just came up today. Can't tell if it is legit or not, due to people just automatically connecting him to the Fogler search firm. The same can happen with King Rice.
Micah Shrewsberry - Sounds like the resume is impressive but he is just a back up plan at this point.

Take the above for what it's worth. These are just faint whispers due to how tight things are right now. I am still skeptical about Jent and Dooley. If you are going to pay the buyout and get rid of Stallings, I don't see how you can do it for either one of those moves. Generating buzz and opening eyes doesn't necessarily need to be done. However, if I am not going that route, I am at least going with someone young that has a high ceiling.

We will see what other names come up. We are still early in the process. If Hurley does not happen, I like Micah Shrewsberry as a high upside choice. Brad Stevens LOVES this guy.

It does seem like Lyke has things narrowed down already. Could be a good sign. We shall see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News