ADVERTISEMENT

Uh oh…USA is toast.

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Weston McKennie and Gia Reyna are OUT for the World Cup qualifications next month. Weston’s injury he picked up in Champions League will have him out for 2 months. That’s our best player and probably a top 5 player that’s out.

#berhalter out

this is why you don’t mess around with your lineup and you win games when you can.

In better news, it looks like CP10 I’d getting high praise again from the French and English pundits. Better keep him healty.

Weston McKennie and Gia Reyna are OUT for the World Cup qualifications next month. Weston’s injury he picked up in Champions League will have him out for 2 months. That’s our best player and probably a top 5 player that’s out.

#berhalter out

this is why you don’t mess around with your lineup and you win games when you can.

If they cant beat Panama at home and manage a draw with Costa Rica on the road, they don't deserve it. With or without McKennie, they are so much more talented than those teams. Besides the CR keeper, I'm not sure there's anyone on those teams who could make the US team. Those are not good teams even by their standards. I am surprised they are this close to us.

If Berhalter sticks with the 4-3-3, I'd move Pulisic into the #10 McKennie role and have Aaronson and Weah on the wings and pray you can get something out of whatever #9 you play. Also, whatever happened to Matthew Hoppe? He looked good in the Gold Cup but forgot he existed. Looks like he's riding the pine for Mallorca.

If they cant beat Panama at home and manage a draw with Costa Rica on the road, they don't deserve it. With or without McKennie, they are so much more talented than those teams. Besides the CR keeper, I'm not sure there's anyone on those teams who could make the US team. Those are not good teams even by their standards. I am surprised they are this close to us.

If Berhalter sticks with the 4-3-3, I'd move Pulisic into the #10 McKennie role and have Aaronson and Weah on the wings and pray you can get something out of whatever #9 you play. Also, whatever happened to Matthew Hoppe? He looked good in the Gold Cup but forgot he existed. Looks like he's riding the pine for Mallorca.
SMF,
I’m reposting what he did vs Panama the last time they played when he didn’t have McKinnie. If they would have won this game, they’d be qualified by now.

obviously this lineup below blows, but it probably means that Berhalter would stick with a 4-3-3 again. You’re idea with Pulisic at the 10 is a good one. But my fear is he will be hurt by then. He’s due for another one of his muscle injuries. And one thing Tuchel has shown is he’s going to stick with the hot hand and overplay him. Ziyech has been Chelsea’s best player of late and he pulled up with a muscle injury yesterday. I think Pulisic starts the Moose Cup final vs Liverpool on Sunday. So he’s gonna continue to get run.

back to the Berhalter lineup. It’s a 3 game window so his lineups are going to be different. But which lineup is his best one? Right now I’d play Aaronson, Pefok and Weah, with Pulisic sitting underneath, with Musah and Adams at MF, and I’d have Brooks and Zimmerman in the back with whoever at outside back. I’d like to see Shaq Moore back in the lineup.

acosta should be in the mix too.

SMF,
I’m reposting what he did vs Panama the last time they played when he didn’t have McKinnie. If they would have won this game, they’d be qualified by now.

obviously this lineup below blows, but it probably means that Berhalter would stick with a 4-3-3 again. You’re idea with Pulisic at the 10 is a good one. But my fear is he will be hurt by then. He’s due for another one of his muscle injuries. And one thing Tuchel has shown is he’s going to stick with the hot hand and overplay him. Ziyech has been Chelsea’s best player of late and he pulled up with a muscle injury yesterday. I think Pulisic starts the Moose Cup final vs Liverpool on Sunday. So he’s gonna continue to get run.

back to the Berhalter lineup. It’s a 3 game window so his lineups are going to be different. But which lineup is his best one? Right now I’d play Aaronson, Pefok and Weah, with Pulisic sitting underneath, with Musah and Adams at MF, and I’d have Brooks and Zimmerman in the back with whoever at outside back. I’d like to see Shaq Moore back in the lineup.

acosta should be in the mix too.

Brooks is done with the USMNT for now. He was consistently bad.

Pefok could be the #9. Possibly Sargent also depending on how he's playing.

I agree on the last Panama lineup. Everyone else tries to win every game while Berhalter only tries to win home games.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Brooks is done with the USMNT for now. He was consistently bad.

Pefok could be the #9. Possibly Sargent also depending on how he's playing.

I agree on the last Panama lineup. Everyone else tries to win every game while Berhalter only tries to win home games.
Brooks is in great form right now. Was man of the match recently in a champions league game or other Wolfsburg game of significance. The guy has had consistency issues but who doesn’t it’s soccer. Hell even Pulisic had a dreadful match vs Crystal Palace this weekend and then was great yesterday. Not to mention Pulisic was in such bad form that he was benched in the last qualifying window. If Brooks had played vs Canada, I’d argue they don’t score that first goal against us. That was Berhalter striking again by playing center backs who aren’t even in season. Brooks is in mid season form.

In better news, it looks like CP10 I’d getting high praise again from the French and English pundits. Better keep him healty.

When CP has the ball at his feet and just full on with space, you just feel like a goal is coming. His speed puts him past the opposing teams midfield and instantly having multiple options and nobody really knowing if they stop him or stop runs. He just makes it so difficult. And he makes great runs off the ball. Him and Kante just play at an entirely different speed.

Brooks is in great form right now. Was man of the match recently in a champions league game or other Wolfsburg game of significance. The guy has had consistency issues but who doesn’t it’s soccer. Hell even Pulisic had a dreadful match vs Crystal Palace this weekend and then was great yesterday. Not to mention Pulisic was in such bad form that he was benched in the last qualifying window. If Brooks had played vs Canada, I’d argue they don’t score that first goal against us. That was Berhalter striking again by playing center backs who aren’t even in season. Brooks is in mid season form.

Brooks was directly responsible for the Canada draw, not following Cyle Larin and leaving him as open as one could possibly be. You will not find a bigger defensive blunder than that.

Brooks was directly responsible for the Canada draw, not following Cyle Larin and leaving him as open as one could possibly be. You will not find a bigger defensive blunder than that.
Soccer management is about identifying and picking the players who are currently in form. We know it’s a sport where players are constantly in and out of form. Picking players who are in their offseason is not ideal playing against players who are In mid season form. There are certain qualities that a manage needs when managing a pool of players like we have. And it doesn’t seem like Berhalter has them.

right now Brooks needs to be in the March squad at minimum.

obviously this lineup below blows, but it probably means that Berhalter would stick with a 4-3-3 again. You’re idea with Pulisic at the 10 is a good one.

In that game of Aaronson's that you posted a link to he was playing as their 10. Put him in that role with Pulisic and Weah playing out wide.

In that game of Aaronson's that you posted a link to he was playing as their 10. Put him in that role with Pulisic and Weah playing out wide.
Yeah. I thought about that too. But I think he played the 10 for the USA once and it didn’t go well. But nothing goes well unless it’s done continuously.

Yeah. I thought about that too. But I think he played the 10 for the USA once and it didn’t go well. But nothing goes well unless it’s done continuously.

Generally, in soccer, you want your best player in that #10, center of the park role. Pulisic sometimes is ineffective on the wing and its often because of lack of touches. I like him better in the middle of the park and drifting to the right or left as need be. Landon Donovan did this great for years and he is much more skilled than Donovan.

Reyna came on in a reserve role this weekend and has a couple more games before the break to get some of his fitness back. Still, I’m thinking he could be nothing more than a super sub in the USA games, which isn’t a bad thing. And then there’s this…

Reyna came on in a reserve role this weekend and has a couple more games before the break to get some of his fitness back. Still, I’m thinking he could be nothing more than a super sub in the USA games, which isn’t a bad thing. And then there’s this…

Concacaf has to step in and not allow games to be played when temperatures are above 85 or below 30. That seems pretty reasonable. If its going to be a hot day in Central America, start the game at 9AM or 9PM.

Reactions: jctrack
So USA is toast? So we have all this Europe playing talent and we'll lose to Panama and Costa Rica who probably start USL Players? :)

So USA is toast? So we have all this Europe playing talent and we'll lose to Panama and Costa Rica who probably start USL Players? :)
You are hung up on this US players in Europe thing worse than Pittpoker is hung up on 65 degree days in March. 🙂

You are hung up on this US players in Europe thing worse than Pittpoker is hung up on 65 degree days in March. 🙂
We're always told that we have better players than our CONCACAF opponents, right? And the proof is that we have so many playing in Europe, right?

We're always told that we have better players than our CONCACAF opponents, right? And the proof is that we have so many playing in Europe, right?
We don’t have the number of players contributing in the top leagues than we have in the past. But we do have two, Pulisic and McKinnie who are at a higher level of form currently. The problem is Mckinnie is out, and now a few others, and we have a manager who struggles with selections and tactics.

btw, we had another top league player on the bench for Norwich City this weekend. He didn’t play though and has never played for them yet. Obviously he’s not a player who is gonna help the USA team any time soon, if ever. His name is Johnathan Tomkinson. Also, George Bello started in Bundesliga Sunday. He’s another.

But we are told we are in the middle of a "golden generation" of American by the media and a lot of fans. Granted McKennie has been the best player, but shouldn't they be able to beat Panama?

But we are told we are in the middle of a "golden generation" of American by the media and a lot of fans. Granted McKennie has been the best player, but shouldn't they be able to beat Panama?
Golden generation is still young, and the players that head the group like Adams and McKennie are hurt. And at the time this thread started, Reyna was out too. You’re talking about 3 of our top 5 AND potentially the top 2 keepers.

Derphalter and US Soccer. If this proves to be true, well what can you say? They'll get a pass though

Concacaf has to step in and not allow games to be played when temperatures are above 85 or below 30. That seems pretty reasonable. If its going to be a hot day in Central America, start the game at 9AM or 9PM.
Is that the same organization that is holding a World Cup in Qatar?

Is that the same organization that is holding a World Cup in Qatar?
Yes and instead of telling them to build a roof on their stadiums, they allowed them to move the event to the winter which greatly interferes with the club seasons. Its going to be like Olympic hockey, you show up a few days before your first game with no real camp. Stupid.

Yes and instead of telling them to build a roof on their stadiums, they allowed them to move the event to the winter which greatly interferes with the club seasons. Its going to be like Olympic hockey, you show up a few days before your first game with no real camp. Stupid.
Someone got paid. And paid well.

Well Sargent is apparently in the reserve squad so he won’t be playing in the window. Does this mean Berhalter has selected Zardes who has been in such great form that he’s been benched by his MLS team?

Team will be announced on sports center tomorrow night at 6pm.

why do I think this window is going to be a nightmare?

Tim Weah on now in Champions League vs Chelsea. Pulisic scored for Chelsea in 45+ minute.

Team will be announced on sports center tomorrow night at 6pm.

why do I think this window is going to be a nightmare?
Why? Because injuries, poor selection in past windows will now make qualifying challenging. I think they get it done but it's not gonna be the way it should.

Don't you worry, he'll find a way to get his golden boy Zardes in the squad. He will then take him to Qatar. He will start one of the 3 this window and he'll start in Qatar.

Derphalter is just terrible.

Why? Because injuries, poor selection in past windows will now make qualifying challenging. I think they get it done but it's not gonna be the way it should.

Don't you worry, he'll find a way to get his golden boy Zardes in the squad. He will then take him to Qatar. He will start one of the 3 this window and he'll start in Qatar.

Derphalter is just terrible.
Zardes MLS team is now shopping him because even they have better options.

this window, man…they have never won in Mexico, then they play a tough Panama team at home, then go to Costa Rica, where they have never won. I don’t know how he manages this, but you’d think he okays he best squad for the home match right? 3 pts vs Panama is most critical. But if he messes around and doesn’t put out a strong line up in the two away games, they’re toast. That Panama match is going to be so nerve racking, unless they somehow make history and win in Mexico.

Well Sargent is apparently in the reserve squad so he won’t be playing in the window. Does this mean Berhalter has selected Zardes who has been in such great form that he’s been benched by his MLS team?

One thing that Berhalter always uses when picking his teams is which guys are playing and in good form.

Except for when it's one of his favorites who isn't playing or isn't in good form. It's got to be at least 50-50 that Zardes starts against Mexico. And with his goal scoring record against teams like Mexico we all know how that is likely to turn out.

What I think this group has going for them in Mexico is this isn't particularly a strong Mexico side. They still have a good group of play makers in Puli, Weah and Aaronson.

I think Musah in the midfield and Luca De La Torre have got to get the start. I didn't hear if Adams was out 100% or not. Hopefully we get the good Kellyn Acosta. I don't want to see another Derphalter bromance in Lleget but I'm sure much like Zardes, we'll see him as well.

The back line will be solid with Zimmerman and Miles Robinson now that he back playing again and not rusty like he was @ Canada.

I think alot hinges on matchday 12 on the 24th.

US @ Mexico
CR @ Canada

If the US gets 1 point and I don't really think it's out of the realm of possibility to get 1 point and Canada beat CR. Mathematically the U.S hasn't clinches atleast the 4th spot but they have. They would have at a minimum a +8 goal differential over CR.

Now if it all goes to crap and Mexico and CR win along with Panama...whewie!

Zardes MLS team is now shopping him because even they have better options.

this window, man…they have never won in Mexico, then they play a tough Panama team at home, then go to Costa Rica, where they have never won. I don’t know how he manages this, but you’d think he okays he best squad for the home match right? 3 pts vs Panama is most critical. But if he messes around and doesn’t put out a strong line up in the two away games, they’re toast. That Panama match is going to be so nerve racking, unless they somehow make history and win in Mexico.
Panama has no talent. They are horrible. Doesn't mean they cant beat us 1-0 though

Panama has no talent. They are horrible. Doesn't mean they cant beat us 1-0 though
Dude your the guy who said that moving to this format assures us that the USA qualification is just a formality. And yet here we are going into the final window needing results in two places we’ve never won, and 3pts vs a team that already beat us and is breathing down our necks.

BTW, Gio Reyna came on as a sub for Dortmund today and assisted on the only goal of the game.
Interesting moment in the Chelsea/Lille match. Pulisic’s goal gave them a 2 goal cushion but the win wasn’t sealed yet. Then Mason Mount received the ball in the left corner and flighted a ball into the box. Pulisic (from the right side) made an inside run into the box and took a back with him, thus opening space for Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea’s right wing back) to run into behind him. Tim Weah was slow to pick up Cesar and Cesar scored the goal to seal the match. Unfortunate moment. I thought it was odd that Pulisic didn’t celebrate as he usually does. Then I saw the replay and realized maybe why.

Just watched a concacaf CL game. They said the MLS season was moved up a couple weeks due to next years World Cup, and that’s why the MLS teams are finally winning in this round. I didn’t realize the season was moved up.

now I turned on NE vs Pumas. Hope this match is better than the one I just watched that was played in Montreals old Olympic stadium.

Hope this match is better than the one I just watched that was played in Montreals old Olympic stadium.

They typically play some early season game there, because no one is stupid enough to play games outside in Canada at this time of the year.

New England lost. 0-3 and then on penalties. Lol. Looks like MLS might blow it afterall.

He came in off the bench last Sunday for Leipzig.

FWIW, the guy who did a projected roster for the US a day or two ago on the Athletic when talking about the midfielders said something like we know Adams is going to start at the six.
With the Junkyard Dawg out indefinitely, we need Adams to plug that midfield in front of the Robinson and Zimmerman. I think De La Torre was so bright last window and if he doesn't start that would be criminal. From what I have heard, he is in a solid run of form with his club team Heracles in the Eredivisie.

Adams being available is HUGE!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT