ADVERTISEMENT

USA vs Mexico! Incredible

The match was on at 7 am this morning here. Had to watch it on my iPhone because my VPN doesn’t work on my internet connection and I can’t cast from the phone to it. (I had an LG in the States and loved it; great interface, an app for every possible streaming service and easy to cast from. Here, the LG I bought doesn’t have apps for services like Paramount, Hulu, others which have programming not available in Europe, the only service I can cast to it is YouTube which I don’t need to cast. and it has an absolutely terrible interface.)

Not exactly a friendly match between two close neighbors. The US I thought was dominant from the start. Agree that the ref lost control of the match early. Anyone who couldn’t envision what was going to happen late has never seen Mexico play when they are down two or more goals.

I really wonder if FIFA has the guts to take action against Mexico. They probably don’t have the CCTV evidence to issue individual bans (except against those arrested) but they certainly can take action. For example, making them play their next home and away non-friendlies without any Mexican fans. The problem with that is that I would bet most of the Mexican fans who were there live in the US. (By the way, so far more than 100 Valencia fans have been banned for life because of the racist behavior against Real Madrid. They are working their way through all of the recordings from the Mestella and say they are a little more than half done. Their isn’t that much urgency because the new season doesn’t start until September.)

I tried a case in 1979 where one of my co-counsel was gay. There had just been a big court decision which had held that proving discrimination on the basis of sex or sexual orientation wasn’t entitled to the same presumptions that attached to discrimination based on race or religion. Walking back from the courthouse, he said back then that the country was not ready to elevate discrimination against women or gays to the legal level of racial discrimination because too high a percentage of the population was misogynistic and homophobic. I remember saying rather confidentially in response that in 25,years, maybe less, that wouldn’t be the case. It’s been 44 years now. I never would have expected homophobia to be as blatant as it was last night some 44 years later, whether most of the offenders were Mexican, Mexican-American or Caucasian.

The match was on at 7 am this morning here. Had to watch it on my iPhone because my VPN doesn’t work on my internet connection and I can’t cast from the phone to it. (I had an LG in the States and loved it; great interface, an app for every possible streaming service and easy to cast from. Here, the LG I bought doesn’t have apps for services like Paramount, Hulu, others which have programming not available in Europe, the only service I can cast to it is YouTube which I don’t need to cast. and it has an absolutely terrible interface.)

Not exactly a friendly match between two close neighbors. The US I thought was dominant from the start. Agree that the ref lost control of the match early. Anyone who couldn’t envision what was going to happen late has never seen Mexico play when they are down two or more goals.

I really wonder if FIFA has the guts to take action against Mexico. They probably don’t have the CCTV evidence to issue individual bans (except against those arrested) but they certainly can take action. For example, making them play their next home and away non-friendlies without any Mexican fans. The problem with that is that I would bet most of the Mexican fans who were there live in the US. (By the way, so far more than 100 Valencia fans have been banned for life because of the racist behavior against Real Madrid. They are working their way through all of the recordings from the Mestella and say they are a little more than half done. Their isn’t that much urgency because the new season doesn’t start until September.)

I tried a case in 1979 where one of my co-counsel was gay. There had just been a big court decision which had held that proving discrimination on the basis of sex or sexual orientation wasn’t entitled to the same presumptions that attached to discrimination based on race or religion. Walking back from the courthouse, he said back then that the country was not ready to elevate discrimination against women or gays to the legal level of racial discrimination because too high a percentage of the population was misogynistic and homophobic. I remember saying rather confidentially in response that in 25,years, maybe less, that wouldn’t be the case. It’s been 44 years now. I never would have expected homophobia to be as blatant as it was last night some 44 years later, whether most of the offenders were Mexican, Mexican-American or Caucasian.
Well that’s the culture with Mexican fans. I don’t know if it’s in their culture in general, or if it’s just a footballing culture thing. And every culture seems to be behind ours when it comes to bigotry. There’s a reason why all of this intolerance is predominant in other cultures and not American culture. There’s a reason why Disney makes movies with gays and POC, and cuts out certain scenes for the movie release in foreign countries and leaves the film in its original form domestically. Even with something as simple as promotional items like movie posters, they have a different one for the US than they do for other countries. Take the recent live action Little Mermaid where disney race swapped the mermaid from a white red head to a black girl. In the US, the black little mermaid was displayed prominently on the poster and in all ads, but for foreign countries they only had a silhouette of her in an effort to downplay or hide her race. The movie did decently in the US and made some money, but still bombed overseas and overall will lose the studio money because the world rejected it while only the US didn’t. Then with other movies, they get banned internationally because of LGBTQ themes while the movies do well in the US.

The problem with punishing Mexico is that how do they prove it was their fans when the match was in the states. Sounds like a difficult thing to do and will be an easy way FIFA or concacaf to look the other way. I don’t know how to legislate it, other than issuing red cards or penalties every time they do it.

It was a real ass beating. It was exciting to see Reyna starting with all those guys. Makes you wonder what Derp would have done. Reyna is funny. He’s a big kid but when he’s in the open field he looks like a clumsy baby giraffe running with an odd gait.

Balogun was non existent and that was expected. Sadly he did one thing great and was the catalyst for all the extracurricular stuff that happened. One thing I love seeing is when players track back and win a ball…and when he did that and drew the red card, I thought it was Musah. More impressive that is was our young #9 doing that. Sadly it caused Mexico to go off the rails.

Dest was awful vs Holland and was brilliant last night. Everyone was really. This is why I say that I think we are deeper right now than Mexico. When we are bringing off players but bringing in Aaronson, Scally, Zimmerman and Pepi late…that’s solid depth. But our “stars” are in limbo. Dest, Pulisic, Reyna, McKennie and Aaronson all have huge question marks around them on the club level. But they were dominant last night. Tim Weah was too much for them too. Musah has some uncertainty too but that’s in a good way as he may be in position to move to a bigger club.

I don’t know what to think about CP10. He needs to play where he is expected to be a leader and go out and play on every match day. If that’s in Italy, then go for it. He needs consistent minutes. All players do. But he may also need to know he’s counted on and appreciated as a leader and central figure. I think he’s better than Sterling right now because Sterling is passed his prime and I was never a huge fan. And I think Christian is better than Mudryk who Chelsea brought in from Ukraine. But it doesn’t seem like Chelsea is a place where he will be the guy. But holy cow, he showed the pace that I haven’t seen since the FA Cup final vs Arsenal three years ago when he got hurt.

Will Scally replace Dest on Sunday? That could be a good thing to see. And I Am considered about the midfield now vs Canada. Not sure we have a Scally type replacement there.

Good point on the US depth. They'll miss Dest but if he's replaced by Scally, the replacement is a 20 year old who has over 50 games experience playing for a pretty big team in a top league.

The problem with punishing Mexico is that how do they prove it was their fans when the match was in the states. Sounds like a difficult thing to do and will be an easy way FIFA or concacaf to look the other way. I don’t know how to legislate it, other than issuing red cards or penalties every time they do it.

US Soccer passed a rule a couple months ago that if the fans from any team playing in the US engaged in homophobic behavior that country would be banned from playing friendlies in the US for two years (in case people don't know, if countries other than the US want to play a friendly in the US, like Mexico does all the time, they have to get permission from the host country), if it happened a second time it would be a five year ban, and if it happened a third time it would be a permanent ban.

Let's see if US Soccer has the balls to enforce the rules that they just passed and not allow Mexico to play any friendlies here for the next two years. Something tells me that as long as the checks clear the Mexicans will continue playing here.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
This referee has gotten progressively worse as the game has gone on.

He started bad, and just kept getting worse.

Like if you are going to give McKennie a red card because he pushed that guy in the neck, how does that guy not get carded, not even a yellow, for charging at him, pushing him twice, and then grabbing him and pulling to the point where he ripped his jersey? How does the guy who put his shoulder right into Reyna's face, hard enough to draw blood, not even get a yellow (if he was a college football player he'd have been ejected for targeting!), but literally less than two minutes late the US player (was it Robinson?) got a yellow on a play that he barely made contact with the Mexican, and unless they had a different angle that we didn't get to see on television, he didn't even touch the guy's head? Then shortly after he gave the red card you had another Mexican tackle from behind that intentionally chopped the US player down, and that one didn't even get a yellow.

And people wonder why the game got out of hand.

Has the USA ever looked better in any match? That was an ass beating. And noticeable, Durp was not there…and neither were any MLS players in the lineup. Coincidence? Think about it, how often does that happen? The only MLS player was Miles Robinson and he gone. He will be in Europe, hopefully for a good club, in two months. Someone is getting a bargain there. You can’t tell me he’s not a guy who can’t start in the Prem.

Has the USA ever looked better in any match? That was an ass beating. And noticeable, Durp was not there…and neither were any MLS players in the lineup. Coincidence? Think about it, how often does that happen? The only MLS player was Miles Robinson and he gone. He will be in Europe, hopefully for a good club, in two months. Someone is getting a bargain there. You can’t tell me he’s not a guy who can’t start in the Prem.
They were simply dominating. When can you remember a start to finish domination? Cuba, Grenada etc...don't count. Mexico never had any sustained momentum or pressure, just a few chances here and there. They never put the US on the backfoot. This was pure domination. I'm shocked Cocca hasn't been sacked yet.

Was hoping maybe concacaf would review McKennie's red and rescind it but to no avail. I still don't think anything he did was close to red worthy. Dest on the other hand, very deserved.

Looking forward to tonight, especially because it's not a 10pm start. Leggo!

They were simply dominating. When can you remember a start to finish domination? Cuba, Grenada etc...don't count. Mexico never had any sustained momentum or pressure, just a few chances here and there. They never put the US on the backfoot. This was pure domination. I'm shocked Cocca hasn't been sacked yet.

Was hoping maybe concacaf would review McKennie's red and rescind it but to no avail. I still don't think anything he did was close to red worthy. Dest on the other hand, very deserved.

Looking forward to tonight, especially because it's not a 10pm start. Leggo!
I think they did look at it and upheld it. I saw something about it yesterday. If it was tame, yet to the neck or face, it’s a red as I understand it. Anywhere else on the body would have been fine.

Is the kickoff at 8:30 or 9:00? Or 9:15? I never know with US Soccer. They seem to always advertise times and then we get an hour of pregame. Just wondering if the golf will end before the soccer.

I think they did look at it and upheld it. I saw something about it yesterday. If it was tame, yet to the neck or face, it’s a red as I understand it. Anywhere else on the body would have been fine.

Is the kickoff at 8:30 or 9:00? Or 9:15? I never know with US Soccer. They seem to always advertise times and then we get an hour of pregame. Just wondering if the golf will end before the soccer.
I saw it listed at 830. I think the US-Mexico game didn't kick off until 1030 with all the fluff. Also the countdown is soooooo stupid leading up to the 1st kick.

I only saw the footage on gamenight, I didn't look at any since and I didn't see McKennie go to a Mexican's face or neck. It must have been something very slight like you said, not evident and wild like Dest.

I saw it listed at 830. I think the US-Mexico game didn't kick off until 1030 with all the fluff. Also the countdown is soooooo stupid leading up to the 1st kick.

I only saw the footage on gamenight, I didn't look at any since and I didn't see McKennie go to a Mexican's face or neck. It must have been something very slight like you said, not evident and wild like Dest.
I use livesoccertv and they're listing it at 9. Which makes sense because the early game is at 6 and I'm sure there'll be more than a half hour of pregame prep once that's over

Reactions: Allan McMurray

US Soccer lists it as 8:30, which probably means no earlier than 8:45.

I wonder, if the first game ends regulation in a tie are they playing the full 30 minutes of extra time or since it's just a third place match are they going straight to penalties? Because if the game ends regulation in a tie and they are playing extra time the US game isn't starting until probably close to 9:30. Maybe later if it goes to penalties.

I think they did look at it and upheld it.

"After a thorough review, including consideration of the video of the on-field decision and evidence presented by the US Soccer Federation, the Concacaf Independent Review Panel has decided to uphold the on-field decision of a direct red card. The player in question must serve an automatic one-match suspension."

US Soccer lists it as 8:30, which probably means no earlier than 8:45.

I wonder, if the first game ends regulation in a tie are they playing the full 30 minutes of extra time or since it's just a third place match are they going straight to penalties? Because if the game ends regulation in a tie and they are playing extra time the US game isn't starting until probably close to 9:30. Maybe later if it goes to penalties.
According to what I read, straight to penalties in the 3rd place game.

Univision is showing the 3rd place game as being from 530 to 8 and the final from 830 to 11. Everything I've read says the 3rd place game kicks off at 6 so I'd assume the US game will be at 9.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing this Mexico-Panama match. Could El Tri be ripe for the picking from the Panamanians? I think its very possible the bronze goes to the Canal Men

I'm actually looking forward to seeing this Mexico-Panama match. Could El Tri be ripe for the picking from the Panamanians? I think its very possible the bronze goes to the Canal Men
I never saw Mexico look so bad as they did vs USA. The USA has been better lately and beating them usually, but the games have been hard fought and close

I could see it. Panama usually doesn't have a ton of talent but they have a system and they stick to it

Reactions: Allan McMurray
I never saw Mexico look so bad as they did vs USA. The USA has been better lately and beating them usually, but the games have been hard fought and close
Mexico was impotent. Even if they had a few of their bigger guns, I still think the US wins comfortably.

He lost one out of 7 games. Lol.

Three wins, Panama, Guatemala and Surinam. Three draws, Jamaica, the US and Cameroon. And one loss, last Thursday.

If there is any big nation around the world with a more fracked up soccer federation than the US it might just be Mexico.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT