ADVERTISEMENT

Vader's Midseason Review and Recruiting Notes

Vader_Storm

Sophomore
Dec 16, 2018
Some Player Thoughts

Au’diese Toney

Needs a bigger role on offense and more touches. Toney has the best offensive rating on the entire team for the season at 118.4 which is significantly better than everyone else. He is shooting a red hot 58% from the floor his last 9 games. He is scoring on the inside and knocking down jump shots and his FG% for the season has moved all the way up to 45% after a horrendous first 4 shooting performance games to start the season. Toney continues to be the team’s top defender every game and he has 8 total turnovers for the entire year. He has played extremely well for his role.

Justin Champagnie

Really doing some great things. 7 rebounds per game, 118.2 DR rate, 85% free throw percentage. FG% would be significantly higher if he didn’t fall in love with the 3-point shot so much and focused more on the inside paint scoring where he should be focusing like in high school and AAU. Am I surprised with his stats? Not on offense, no.

This was a player that was a 5th team high school all American in AAU with a 65% shooting percentage in AAU. His offense has helped a lot when he is “on”. The biggest complaint on Justin is his defense obviously. He does not move his feet well on defense at all and stands flat footed watching too much, finds himself out of position, and leaves open 3-point shooters to collect rebounds in the paint (more on this later). These issues are correctable. Justin doesn’t turn 19 until the end of June this year. He is one of the youngest players in college basketball. Big days are ahead for him.

Trey Mcgowens

Last 10 Games

14.3PPG

42% FG

34% 3 point

3.6 Assist

3 rebound per game

2.4 turnovers (much better)

2.4 steals per game

Mcgowens has been carrying this team on offense. And Jeff Capel has given him the green light to do so as Trey has averaged 22 points per game his last 3 games playing 39 minutes per game. His TO numbers are still high in his last 10 but much better as opposed to the start of the season.

If most of the rest of our team wasn’t so inconsistent on offense, Trey wouldn’t have to shoulder most of the load. I do not mind his ORTG and neither does Jeff Capel. He scores and finds others to score on a team that severely struggles to score and is the catalyst of most of our transition game. Trey still takes a few bad shots per game, but his shooting percentages are good enough to allow him to do that. If he can continue to cut the turnovers down, he should have a very strong junior and senior season.

Hidden Stat #1

A lot of Trey’s assists have been to Justin Champagnie. Champagnie made four 2nd half 3 pointers against North Carolina and 6 of Justin’s baskets against UNC was from a pass from Trey. All 4 of those made 3’s from Champagnie against UNC came from a Mcgowens pass. A lot of Justin’s points are coming from Trey’s passing every single game. These 2 are forming great chemistry on offense together.

+ / - Concerns

Eric Hamilton has severely fallen in the plus minus team stats. He is now in the negative for the season at -5, joining Drumgoole who sits at -27, the only 2 players on the entire team that are in the negative year to date.

Hamilton is another player that gets beat up on defense and doesn’t establish position well and is way to inconsistent. Hamilton has played in 17 games this season. He has collected 3 rebounds or less in 11 of those games (and his rebound percentages are skewed from a couple nice games followed by a bunch of nothing). Terrell Brown has 7 total rebounds in his last 4 ACC games. No team can survive with a center averaging 1.75 rebounds per game in the ACC as Pitt is 1-3 in our last 4 games.

Something is off with Drumgoole and the chemistry of this team. Drumgoole has not played well, but the team collapses every time he is in the game. His teammates nor Jeff Capel obviously don’t have confidence in him when he is shooting 15% for the season. When he does play, he is very tentative and looks scared. His defense has been the most disappointing part this year. Its been a long time I have seen a player with his build get bullied for rebounds or by simple screens and he cant get through a screen. He is playing afraid of simple contact.

Hidden Stat #2-Rebounding

I noticed a long time ago that our players cheat to the inside to rebound the ball. I had a long post I had put together after the Robert Morris game that I decided to not post as I wanted a larger sample size of games before drawing personal conclusions. Xavier Johnson left his man wide open at least 4 times in that game against RMU where they nailed a 3 on Johnson every single time since Johnson cheated to the inside for rebounds. This has been an ongoing issue all season long.

We have 2 centers that can’t rebound and cant box out. And the rest of the team (Johnson and Champagnie the most) cheat to the inside to help rebound. What this does is leave open 3 point shooters that burn us over and over.

We have a choice. Guard our man closer from 3 and continue to give up 2nd, 3rd, 4th chance point opportunities and rebounds because our 2 centers cant rebound. Or cheat to the inside and help the 2 centers rebound and leave open shooters. Its happened all season and is a double edge sword.

Im sure someone will point out to me about Hamilton’s rebound efficiency ratings. Juicing the stats against Arkansas Pine Bluff, Northwestern, Wake Forest, etc.. and not showing up in the other 11 games is the problem. Hamilton has been a no show on the glass more often than not. He has 3 rebounds or less in 11 different games this year as a center. Jeff Capel notices (More later)

Player updates

John Hugley is averaging 23 points per game, 16 rebounds per game, 4 assist per game, and 1.6 blocks per game year to date while shooting 44% from 3 and he has consistently making at least 1 three ball per game. Hugley has been consistent all year. He should be considered the runaway favorite for player of the year in the state of Ohio. The competition he has faced is respectable, although not top tier every night. He will make an immediate impact at Pitt from day 1.

Max Amadasun

Team Record- 19-2

Season stats for 18 of Max’s 21 games, (I don’t have the stats for the other 3)

13.1PPG, 8.3RPG, 3.42 block per game season averages

Last 6 games for Max:

points, rebounds, blocks

6-5-2 (only played 15 minutes from injury)

12-6-2

15-18-5

16-6-4

11-13-4

14-10-4

Our Savior Lutheran is rolling over top competition. The now ranked #1 team overall in the loaded Grind Session, one of the Top 15 best teams in the country, have beaten a lot of high-profile teams and just put the smackdown on a loaded Westtown team with Pitt’s Noah Collier (19 points 6 rebounds), Jalen Warley and 5 Star Franck Kepnang, both the latter Pitt is recruiting hard.

A lot of Max’s games can be watched on youtube or online meaning the full games. Ive watched about 10 full games this year. He has played very well against a very tough high school schedule against a lot of high-profile players and teams and Max is consistently producing. Like Hugley, I expect Max to help Pitt from the get go and eat into Brown’s minutes.

Noah Collier is still way to inconsistent on offense for my liking. His late growth spurt pushing him to almost 6’9 is a great surprise / late bonus. But I want to see more consistency on offense. For a player his size with his length he gets blocked in the paint far too much and he cant shoot well. Really needs to hit the weights and put some muscle on in the offseason. Potential is the key word here; he is very athletic. Westtown likes to use a trapping zone with pressure with their length at every position. Collier plays well in a zone defense and can help us in transition. His handle has improved.

Recruiting notes

The staff is closely watching 6’5 guard / wing Ike Cornish (Plays a good bit like Lamar Patterson). Cornish has been really shooting the 3 ball well. We got a great look at him at the Slam dunk at the beach event (I watched his full games including against Our Savior and Amadasun). We have not offered yet but may get a visit later with an offer. Offers are starting to come in for Cornish from other higher profile teams. He isn’t the most athletic like Patterson but is proving to be able to knock down shots especially from 3 and can pass.

Pitt is in very, very good position for Will Jeffress as previously mentioned. Reclassification is on the table for 2020.

2 Potential Big Center Reclassification Candidates that Pitt is heavily targeting and heavily pushing for upcoming visits: 5 Star Center Franck Kepnang and Top 50 National Center Adama Sanogo who Jeff Capel has targeted hard. Both are immediate impact players. Both have serious interest. Efton Reid is a 3rd potential Pf / C reclass candidate for 2020 although getting him out of Virginia will be difficult. Reid has been on Pitt’s campus already. We are far from done recruiting front court players as Jeff Capel is not happy with our current interior talent and interior rebounding.

The offer to Point Guard Khristian Lander is a “feeler offer” to Lander currently. Lander is considering reclassification to 2020.

Pitt is monitoring PG Rudi Williams who is making his case to be a Juco All American Point Guard. No offer has been made. Im not a huge JUCO fan as prospects are hit or miss, but Williams stats have been sensational this year. A bevy of other major teams have inquired. He is looking to commit early.

There is a good to very good chance Pitt will take 2 more players in 2020 and someone will not come back. And Im leaning toward the possibility of 2 more add-ons for 2020 which appear to be what we are pushing / hoping for.

Well, Samson may be gone. Chukwuka and Hamilton will be gone. If I'm correct, we will have four open scholarships I think. With the three recruits coming in, someone will have to leave in order to bring two players in. I think Terrell will grad-transfer elsewhere because Capel will cut his minutes and want to play the new guys.

Unfortunately it may be Drumgoole as these other players come in especially if we get Jeffress because our wings will be Justin, Collier and Jeffress and with Ethan Horton becoming eligible next year and he's a deadly 3-point shooter are SG's will be Ethan, Murph and Trey so Drumgoole may find he can't get off the bench and never getting PT and might want to go somewhere else. So don't be surprised if this happens

Well, Samson may be gone. Chukwuka and Hamilton will be gone. If I'm correct, we will have four open scholarships I think. With the three recruits coming in, someone will have to leave in order to bring two players in. I think Terrell will grad-transfer elsewhere because Capel will cut his minutes and want to play the new guys.

Those scholarship #'s look to be accurate. TB *could* look elsewhere. I don't think any Guards/Wings would leave, so that leaves Terrell. We'll see about any re-classifications, but won't hold my breath, for now at least. I'll gladly take a 5* 2020 re-class, but we shall see. Wouldn't mind another ball-handler, but Horton, McGowens, mayyybe X will be back. Just don't dribble into 3 guys and try to be a hero, that's all I'm asking haha.

Nice to hear some chatter on the re-class possibilities. We have playing time. Just need a force inside and some consistent shooting too.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Yeah a threat on offense inside above 6'6" would help open things up for sure. X and Trey aren't bad shooters, both should finish the season over 35% from 3 which isn't bad for guys who everyone knows need to score for Pitt to win and should get better next year with an inside presence.

Unfortunately it may be Drumgoole as these other players come in especially if we get Jeffress because our wings will be Justin, Collier and Jeffress and with Ethan Horton becoming eligible next year and he's a deadly 3-point shooter are SG's will be Ethan, Murph and Trey so Drumgoole may find he can't get off the bench and never getting PT and might want to go somewhere else. So don't be surprised if this happens

We haven't seen what Drumgoole can do at the college level. True freshman playing early then injured. Personally, I think he will be fine once he gets back into playing shape.

Right now, I believe we are technically out of schollies for next year. But it's pretty much expected that George will be gone, which opens one more up.

To open up another, you'd be looking at one of these players leaving: X, Brown, Murphy, Coulibaly or Drumgoole. The only other possibility is if somebody decommits.

Right now, I believe we are technically out of schollies for next year. But it's pretty much expected that George will be gone, which opens one more up.

To open up another, you'd be looking at one of these players leaving: X, Brown, Murphy, Coulibaly or Drumgoole. The only other possibility is if somebody decommits.
This is accurate. We're technically full with the fall signees, but it seems clear that the staff has been recruiting as if it has one spot available...which most seem to believe is Samson George not returning for his senior year. If we lose anyone else, that adds extra room.

For the 2021 class, right now we have three scholarships available. That would obviously drop if we get any more players for 2020, or would rise for each player we lose.

This is accurate. We're technically full with the fall signees, but it seems clear that the staff has been recruiting as if it has one spot available...which most seem to believe is Samson George not returning for his senior year. If we lose anyone else, that adds extra room.

For the 2021 class, right now we have three scholarships available. That would obviously drop if we get any more players for 2020, or would rise for each player we lose.
What about Kene?
Wont he be gone too?

Reactions: Tonyt66

George is most likely to leave.

Kene next.

After that, I'd say Drumgoole and Coulibaly because freshmen who dont play often transfer.

After that Johnson. He wont make the NBA but maybe he thinks he will. Or maybe he transfers. He and Capel dont seem to have a great relationship. I mean Im just saying that because he gets benched but for a kid who thinks he's the next Chris Paul, Im sure he doesn't like that very much.

My guess is that 3 of George, Kene, Drumgoole, AKC, and Johnson will be gone

Kene next.

After that, I'd say Drumgoole and Coulibaly because freshmen who dont play often transfer.

After that Johnson. He wont make the NBA but maybe he thinks he will. Or maybe he transfers. He and Capel dont seem to have a great relationship. I mean Im just saying that because he gets benched but for a kid who thinks he's the next Chris Paul, Im sure he doesn't like that very much.

Freshmen who don’t play transfer? You have numbers to support this? And I don’t mean one or two anecdotal cases.

Freshmen who don’t play transfer? You have numbers to support this? And I don’t mean one or two anecdotal cases.

One of those Jeffs who cover college hoops did an article on it a few years ago. They arent guaranteed to transfer but you know how these kids are today. If they dont play early, they're out.

What about Kene?
Wont he be gone too?

He's a senior. I guess he could get a medical redshirt if he doesn't play this year but most anticipate he'll move on. I think that was counted in the numbers.

We also have an open scholarship. We're taking 3 in 2020 so far (John, Max, Noah) so I think we have 1 to give if Hamilton, George, and Kene all leave.

I think it's unlikely but I wouldn't be shocked if Brown or Murphy moves on. I would be absolutely floored if Drumgoole left.

He's a senior. I guess he could get a medical redshirt if he doesn't play this year but most anticipate he'll move on. I think that was counted in the numbers.

We also have an open scholarship. We're taking 3 in 2020 so far (John, Max, Noah) so I think we have 1 to give if Hamilton, George, and Kene all leave.

I think it's unlikely but I wouldn't be shocked if Brown or Murphy moves on. I would be absolutely floored if Drumgoole left.
We have one scholarship open now for the 2019-20 season, but we *will* have an open scholarship for 2020-21 only if George (or someone else) leaves.

We have one unused scholarship, and two guys with senior eligibility (Hamilton, Chukwuka). We signed three guys, so those balance out. With each player who leaves after this season with eligibility on the table, we'll have another scholarship available.

We have one scholarship open now for the 2019-20 season, but we *will* have an open scholarship for 2020-21 only if George (or someone else) leaves.

We have one unused scholarship, and two guys with senior eligibility (Hamilton, Chukwuka). We signed three guys, so those balance out. With each player who leaves after this season with eligibility on the table, we'll have another scholarship available.

Gotcha. I guess I've been assuming for the better part of a year that George is gone. He's logged 37 minutes since November 2018. That scholarship just can't be used in such a limited fashion anymore.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
Gotcha. I guess I've been assuming for the better part of a year that George is gone. He's logged 37 minutes since November 2018. That scholarship just can't be used in such a limited fashion anymore.

As of right now, there will be 4 new faces next season: the 3 recruits that have signed, plus Horton.

Agree with just about everyone that George will not return. Beyond that? We'll have to wait and see.

Yeah, it seems like little more than a formality at this point. Nothing against the kid - he seems like he fits in with the team, he's apparently a great student, and he has a young family...but he's essentially a walk-on type of talent and contributor who was recruited as a scholarship player out of high school by Stallings' staff. Can't blame George for taking advantage of that for as long as he can, especially given that he probably needs to stay in school to keep he and his wife in the country.

Can you just revoke a kids scholarship because you don’t play them? I imagine it wouldn’t be his choice to leave, or he would have done it by now.

Kene next.

Cite one non-trolling example of proof that indicates Capel not having a good relationship with X.

Most of these kids are going to college to play ball and if they feel it doesn’t serve their best interests to stay somewhere they move on . Wouldn’t you !

See no way Kene stays , he’s not what Pitt needs to get to the next level .

Kene next.

Here we go again. You are saying Johnson and Capel don't seem to have a great relationship? Based on what? Unless you know for sure you need to stop.

Can you just revoke a kids scholarship because you don’t play them? I imagine it wouldn’t be his choice to leave, or he would have done it by now.

That's not exactly how it works. The coaching staff meets with every player at the end of the season and they discuss the player's performance both within the program and within the university at large. If the player isn't meeting expectations, they are encouraged to seek out other opportunities.

These players are not normal students. They're at school year round so that's 3-4 semesters instead of the normal 2. Most can get a degree in 3 years, some in 2 (e.g., Cam Johnson). Samson is in his 3rd year in the program and has logged 37 minutes total since the beginning of year 2. He's had every opportunity to graduate in 3 years.

The rest is my semi-informed (not insider) speculation. I'm sure Capel realized early on the Samson would not be a major contributor for this program. He probably expressed to Samson that he had to significantly improve or he may be a candidate to be recruited over. Given that, I believe Capel may have told Samson that he could honor his scholarship for up to 3 years. So he should get his degree and be prepared to move on wit his life's work. Again, I don't have insider information. That's just my speculation given Samson's extreme lack of playing time on a team that's already short on bodies.

Yeah, it seems like little more than a formality at this point. Nothing against the kid - he seems like he fits in with the team, he's apparently a great student, and he has a young family...but he's essentially a walk-on type of talent and contributor who was recruited as a scholarship player out of high school by Stallings' staff. Can't blame George for taking advantage of that for as long as he can, especially given that he probably needs to stay in school to keep he and his wife in the country.

I didn't realize that Samson may have had family immigration issues. That makes perfect sense as to why he's still on the roster then. So Capel is giving a hard-working player a humanitarian break. If we couldn't fill that scholarship anyway, good for Capel for doing so. But it looks like we will be able to use that scholarship into a more productive manner in short order and we should do so.

That's not exactly how it works. The coaching staff meets with every player at the end of the season and they discuss the player's performance both within the program and within the university at large. If the player isn't meeting expectations, they are encouraged to seek out other opportunities.

These players are not normal students. They're at school year round so that's 3-4 semesters instead of the normal 2. Most can get a degree in 3 years, some in 2 (e.g., Cam Johnson). Samson is in his 3rd year in the program and has logged 37 minutes total since the beginning of year 2. He's had every opportunity to graduate in 3 years.

The rest is my semi-informed (not insider) speculation. I'm sure Capel realized early on the Samson would not be a major contributor for this program. He probably expressed to Samson that he had to significantly improve or he may be a candidate to be recruited over. Given that, I believe Capel may have told Samson that he could honor his scholarship for up to 3 years. So he should get his degree and be prepared to move on wit his life's work. Again, I don't have insider information. That's just my speculation given Samson's extreme lack of playing time on a team that's already short on bodies.
I agree - if I were to speculate, the situation was that Capel probably realized early on that George's value was almost exclusively as a practice body and an energy guy - basically, what you'd get from a traditional walk-on.

That said, when Capel arrived, there were *plenty* of scholarships available given the transfers, etc., so there probably wasn't too much of a need to run him off, especially since we've only had 12 scholarship players, including George, for both the 2018-19 and the 2019-20 seasons.

George is, by all accounts, a really good student, so there wasn't really ever any harm in keeping him around until he gets his degree, at which point he would probably be encouraged to grad transfer out and play his last year of eligibility elsewhere - maybe somewhere like Iona, where he originally committed. Capel probably realized that he wouldn't really be in a position to use that 13th scholarship on an ACC-caliber player until the 2020-21 season anyway, so you might as well do right by the kid and his family.

I didn't realize that Samson may have had family immigration issues. That makes perfect sense as to why he's still on the roster then. So Capel is giving a hard-working player a humanitarian break. If we couldn't fill that scholarship anyway, good for Capel for doing so. But it looks like we will be able to use that scholarship into a more productive manner in short order and we should do so.
I don't know the particulars of his immigration or visa status, but if you recall, he didn't go on the Italy trip because he was concerned that he wouldn't be able to get back into the country. He has a wife here and didn't want to find himself in a bad situation.

I don't know the particulars of his immigration or visa status, but if you recall, he didn't go on the Italy trip because he was concerned that he wouldn't be able to get back into the country. He has a wife here and didn't want to find himself in a bad situation.

I remember that. There are a number of reasons why he could be concerned about getting back in. Even if his visa status and documentation was perfect, the current administration's enforcement of visa issues has been both challenging and unpredictable. IIRC, it sounded like a paperwork issue and not something major. But given the enforcement standards and stakes of being separated from your family, perhaps permanently, I don't blame him or Pitt for being extra cautious.

Kene next.

Lol Capel and X don’t have a good relationship???

You are something else SMF.

Reactions: rockypanther
Some months back when Pitt was recruiting RJ Davis, Jeff Capel gave a presentation at Stepinac high school. If anyone watched the presentation or listened to it (some parts may still be online), Capel talked about building a basketball team in today's game. And in that presentation, Capel talked about positioning. Having a point guard, having a center, then having "3 basketball players (tweeners)" on the floor. This is how Jeff is building the team. And what we are doing is having a lot of tweener type players between the 2-3-4, aka, basketball players that aren't locked into one position.

Collier is very much a 3-4 tweener and so is Will Jeffress, Toney, Champagnie, etc..

The development of John Hugley under the coaching of Chet Mason should have everyone very excited and intrigued. John's passing ability this entire season for Brush has been sensational. Yea, its great that John scored 34 points again yesterday in very dominant "Vader style" fashion, but this is how Big John can open our offense as a "4" when we have another quality center on the roster to pair with him. Watch this passing ability which is what he has been doing all season long and why he is over 4 assists every single game. He finds the open man and can pass out of a double team.

This is VERY exciting stuff. A big man that has the potential to score and shoot some 3's, rebound, and pass. Obviously we cant have Big John outside the 3 point line setting up plays / passing with the way our current big men rebound now because we badly need his rebounding ability.

But with another stud center next to Big John who can rebound in the low block, our offense goes to an all new level along with our defensive rebounding. Its no secret why we are targeting multiple elite centers with the possibility to move to 2020 on a reclass. Its also no secret why Big John considers himself a "basketball player", and not a 4 man or a 5 man. It is appropriate to state that he has more than enough skills to be a very successful player as a "4" if you want to call it that.

Some months back when Pitt was recruiting RJ Davis, Jeff Capel gave a presentation at Stepinac high school. If anyone watched the presentation or listened to it (some parts may still be online), Capel talked about building a basketball team in today's game. And in that presentation, Capel talked about positioning. Having a point guard, having a center, then having "3 basketball players (tweeners)" on the floor. This is how Jeff is building the team. And what we are doing is having a lot of tweener type players between the 2-3-4, aka, basketball players that aren't locked into one position.

Collier is very much a 3-4 tweener and so is Will Jeffress, Toney, Champagnie, etc..

The development of John Hugley under the coaching of Chet Mason should have everyone very excited and intrigued. John's passing ability this entire season for Brush has been sensational. Yea, its great that John scored 34 points again yesterday in very dominant "Vader style" fashion, but this is how Big John can open our offense as a "4" when we have another quality center on the roster to pair with him. Watch this passing ability which is what he has been doing all season long and why he is over 4 assists every single game. He finds the open man and can pass out of a double team.

This is VERY exciting stuff. A big man that has the potential to score and shoot some 3's, rebound, and pass. Obviously we cant have Big John outside the 3 point line setting up plays / passing with the way our current big men rebound now because we badly need his rebounding ability.

But with another stud center next to Big John who can rebound in the low block, our offense goes to an all new level along with our defensive rebounding. Its no secret why we are targeting multiple elite centers with the possibility to move to 2020 on a reclass. Its also no secret why Big John considers himself a "basketball player", and not a 4 man or a 5 man. It is appropriate to state that he has more than enough skills to be a very successful player as a "4" if you want to call it that.

Yeah will be curious to see how next years minutes get chopped up and what the final roster will be. This should be the last year for a while of up and down basketball. We should become far more consistent.

I don't think we can be good until Brown is not seeing significant (read as more than 5 mpg) playing time.

You can't play a player that doesn't rebound, cant catch and really is too slow and mechanical in his movement.

Sure he blocks shots. Sure he scores "occasionally "

That "surely" doesn't make up for his deficiencies.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I don't think we can be good until Brown is not seeing significant (read as more than 5 mpg) playing time.

You can't play a player that doesn't rebound, cant catch and really is too slow and mechanical in his movement.

Sure he blocks shots. Sure he scores "occasionally "

That "surely" doesn't make up for his deficiencies.

I don't disagree with you but I think next year we're likely better off with Brown and Max than Max and a random grad transfer C. It's only 1 more year. I see Brown returning and starting.

Reactions: FireballZ
I don't disagree with you but I think next year we're likely better off with Brown and Max than Max and a random grad transfer C. It's only 1 more year. I see Brown returning and starting.
I would rather the front court be absent Brown.

Hughley, Champagnie, Toney, Amadasun and Collier all give you willing rebounders.

Coulibaly can join that group if he decides there is more to the game than scoring.

We will have enough front court players.

Brown is addition by subtraction, plus he no longer fits our desired style of play.

Kene next.

Probably right about George and Kene, so that's 2 out of 5. Shooting 40 % from long range isn't bad. The other 3 might be airballs, though.

Drumgoole hasn't played much because he's been injured and out of shape. I doubt he leaves because of that. He played poorly in the few games prior to being injured, but that's a small sample size and not unusual for a freshman at the very beginning of his college career. He showed enough in practice to be named a starter.

I think Coulibally will be much better in a few years, and I would think he would feel the same way. Doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would run off over a lack of playing time as a freshman.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT