ADVERTISEMENT

VB: Back row attack

pittdan77

Athletic Director
Jan 5, 2011
The Vast Wasteland of Central Pennsylvania

Saw this posted and recalled someone asking why Pitt doesn’t attack from the back row as often. I’d note that this is based on success and not frequency. For the sake of the discussion, I have noticed Louisville attacking out of the back with Dabeer a bit more this year. I think it’s just because she’s really talented and they don’t seem to have as many big guns outside. Anyway, I thought it was interesting that Pitt has such a high rate of success with it this year. Thinking it’s a skill Babcock brings to the table.

Reactions: chrisran24
I think this explains the use of the 5-1 offense more (and its nice having your best player on the court all of the time). In the past, the back row attack for Pitt was more off a pop off valve, or just a change of pace and not typically very offensive. Now with Babcock and Stafford, it is a real weapon

Reactions: Chaos and pittdan77

Saw this posted and recalled someone asking why Pitt doesn’t attack from the back row as often. I’d note that this is based on success and not frequency. For the sake of the discussion, I have noticed Louisville attacking out of the back with Dabeer a bit more this year. I think it’s just because she’s really talented and they don’t seem to have as many big guns outside. Anyway, I thought it was interesting that Pitt has such a high rate of success with it this year. Thinking it’s a skill Babcock brings to the table.
It’s been notable to me this season. We almost never attempted back row attacks in the past 4-5 years or so. Just wasn’t in our top offensive players skill sets to consistently have success .

Totally different with Babcock and Stafford this season.

I think this explains the use of the 5-1 offense more (and its nice having your best player on the court all of the time). In the past, the back row attack for Pitt was more off a pop off valve, or just a change of pace and not typically very offensive. Now with Babcock and Stafford, it is a real weapon
Even in the 6-2, your left side is still rotating through the back row but in the 5-1, your down an offensive player when the setter rotates to the front row unless they're one of those rare players that can actually hit from there (probably should be running a 5-2, then), so it makes sense to have that option. Problem is that it's not an easy play for a lot of women. They do teach it at a younger age, now, so there's a good chance that this is just an evolution of the game.

Reactions: Chaos
It’s been notable to me this season. We almost never attempted back row attacks in the past 4-5 years or so. Just wasn’t in our top offensive players skill sets to consistently have success .

Totally different with Babcock and Stafford this season.
I think you're right. Vasquez-Gomez has done it a few times but Babcock and Stafford are just on another level, talent wise. Next few years are going to be fun.

I think you're right. Vasquez-Gomez has done it a few times but Babcock and Stafford are just on another level, talent wise. Next few years are going to be fun.
And the encouraging aspect of this is that they are still adapting and improving to the college game as the season goes forward. In other words....this duo has not hit their plateau....it just keeps getting better and better.

Front row, in system, yes. Would seem that giving Pitt free balls is a really bad idea.

Anyone else love the notion that volleydork.com is a thing?
I really like this guy's analytical dissection of the game....great stuff....but I hate that he calls himself volleydork. The connotation is derogatory. Why not volleynerd or volleygeek.....which is closer to a descriptor of what he is.

I really like this guy's analytical dissection of the game....great stuff....but I hate that he calls himself volleydork. The connotation is derogatory. Why not volleynerd or volleygeek.....which is closer to a descriptor of what he is.
Probably safe to say that anyone that is sitting around pouring over volleyball stats is socially inept but I'm not here to judge.

Ouch! Then what about the rest of us that are reading his stuff? ;)
I am willing to accept the implications of what you're suggesting. I actually got excited about something else on his site that analyzed blocking by outsides because it was just a topic of conversation at my house last week with my 15u that gets shuffled between middle for school and opposite for club because she puts up a nice block and how much that can affect the other teams big hitter.

speaks volumes about how athletic this team is. Pitt has had some great outsides over the past half decade but none were athletic enough to be difference makers behind the 10 foot line. This is an awesomely positive sign

Here’s another chart broken down by player. As you can see, Babcock is one of the best, right now.

The top ranked freshman in Olivia's class, Chloe Chicoine, is two spots behind Olivia. To provide context to what we're witnessing.

For anyone who's never seen Chicoine play, she's like Leketor if Leketor had a massive serve to go with all the power & explosion at the net.

Reactions: pittdan77
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT