ADVERTISEMENT

VB - National Semifinals on ESPN, Pitt vs Nebraska at 7:00 pm on Thursday, 12/14

Don’t know anything about volleyball…Do we have a shot against Nebraska?
Quick Nebraska scouting report:
They do everything well. Big hitters on the pins with Merritt Beason and Harper Murray (freshman) and a big block in the middle with Andi Jackson (freshman) and Becka Alick. Top 2 Libero in the country in Lexi Rodriguez. Their setter Bergen Reilly is a freshman but very good as well, believe she was setter of the year for the Big 10. Biggest thing will come down to serving again. If Pitt can put pressure on their serve receive and force Nebraska out of system, Pitt can win. Nebraska’s passing is good not great when you get past Rodriguez. Force Beason and Murray to make tough passes and bring the heavy block and we have a chance

They do everything well. Big hitters on the pins with Merritt Beason and Harper Murray (freshman) and a big block in the middle with Andi Jackson (freshman) and Becka Alick. Top 2 Libero in the country in Lexi Rodriguez. Their setter Bergen Reilly is a freshman but very good as well, believe she was setter of the year for the Big 10. Biggest thing will come down to serving again. If Pitt can put pressure on their serve receive and force Nebraska out of system, Pitt can win. Nebraska’s passing is good not great when you get past Rodriguez. Force Beason and Murray to make tough passes and bring the heavy block and we have a chance
Great analysis.

I've only watched them a few times, but Rodriguez seems to dig everything and make every pass, so I agree on your key of targeting others. Probably easier said than done.

I've only watched them a few times, but Rodriguez seems to dig everything and make every pass, so I agree on your key of targeting others. Probably easier said than done.
Rodriguez and Scott are on a very similar level. Probably the top 2 liberos in the country. The good news is we found a way to serve and hit around Scott successfully in the past 3 sets so it can be done.

Just to expand your comment a bit more......of Nebraska's receiving errors....Harper Murray is the most vulnerable. She has 37 on the year.....over 40% of Nebraska's total. Targeting her when she is in the back row when we serve should be a goal. Our vulnerability in that same regard is Torrey Stafford....45 receiving errors on the year or 38% of Pitt's total. Since the tournament began....Torrey has had almost 50% of Pitt's receiving errors. Completely agree with you....clean digs and minimizing receiving errors is key.

Last edited:
Can't wait! This should have been the #1 news on the podcast this morning. Just saying... 😁

• Love
Reactions: Chaos
Just to expand your comment a bit more......of Nebraska's receiving errors....Harper Murray is the most vulnerable. She has 37 on the year.....over 40% of Nebraska's total. Targeting her when she is in the back row when we serve should be a goal. Our vulnerability in that same regard is Torrey Stafford....45 receiving errors on the year or 38% of Pitt's total. Since the tournament began....Torrey has had almost 50% of Pitt's receiving errors. Completely agree with you....clean digs and minimizing receiving errors is key.
Fisher started subbing her for a DS so that might continue. Takes away some of your attack out of the back row but you can't do anything offensively when you start with a bad pass.

My hope is that Pitt frustrates the hell out of the young players with the serves and blocking. They've had it pretty easy for most of the tournament so it will be interesting to see if they fold like they did against Wisconsin. Defensively, Pitt is a much better team this year so I think it's probably not the matchup Nebraska wanted.

https://volleyballmag.com/emily-ehman-lee-feinswog-ncaa-volleyball-zoom-121123/

Lee and Emily do a good job here breaking down the teams - Nebraska talk starts in full at about the 10:40 mark so start there if you just want to hear Nebraska and Pitt discussion. They do talk about Nebraska’s recent issues in serve receive and how Pitt can put pressure there. No mention of Fairbanks at all which surprised me, Babcock and Stafford really get all the recognition on Pitt from the national media which is great for them but Rachel really deserves more love

Reactions: Chaos
https://volleyballmag.com/emily-ehman-lee-feinswog-ncaa-volleyball-zoom-121123/

Lee and Emily do a good job here breaking down the teams - Nebraska talk starts in full at about the 10:40 mark so start there if you just want to hear Nebraska and Pitt discussion. They do talk about Nebraska’s recent issues in serve receive and how Pitt can put pressure there. No mention of Fairbanks at all which surprised me, Babcock and Stafford really get all the recognition on Pitt from the national media which is great for them but Rachel really deserves more love
Thanks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT