ADVERTISEMENT

VB vs Louisville : Regional Final

I never dreamed we could pull this off a second time.
Olivia came to life just in time and that made all the difference.
We played them close the first two games without much from her, but she asserted herself in the final 3.
HTP!!!

• Love
Reactions: Chaos and Ski11585
Did that final hit go off Scott’s face? I hate to see such a pretty face get hit, but it would be poetic justice to end it like that when I think she was the biggest reason they beat us last year in 5 at the final 4.

Reactions: jctrack
Time for debeers to graduate. Shes been a pain for pitt. Not babcock and stafford will be a pia for all teams for the next three years. I thought the ball took a diiferent trajectory off the face

I thought that was a clear touch on DeBeer on 14-4. But, they don’t seem to call them when the ball changes directions unless you can see the actual touch. Then, Louisville wins the next two and I start to worry a little.

Still, 7 match points after the TO. Poor serve by Louisville but Fairbanks — and it doesn’t happen often— doesn’t make a good set. But, Louisville had to pop it over instead of killing it because of a poor pass, and Fairbanks got another chance. Same spot, perfect set, match over.

What a win. Who would have thought they could come from 2 back again.

Difference IMO: (1) DeBeer was mediocre in the last 3 sets. (2) We finally stopped serving Scott. (3) We have more arms. Babcock was terrible in set 1. VVG was poor in set 2. We went to Stafford and the MBs in set 3. In sets 4 and 5 we spread it around. They almost never could double on the block because Fairbanks had too many choices.

Fairbanks’ decision making got better and better as the match went on. She mixed in MB kills just enough. She went to Stafford and Babcock from the back row. Babcock came around in sets 4 and 5. Her serving in set 4 was awesome.

For them, Jones started hot but then became a non-factor. Luper started out on fire but then started missing everything until set 5. DeBeer gets way too much TV time because she is blonde and cute, but she faded badly about midway through set 3 and her defense, which usually is outstanding, was mediocre. They didn’t have many options for big swings in those last three sets.

I was surprised at how bad Fairbanks was early. She really didn’t have a great game. Stafford had a rough game as well.

Game ended up just like a few weeks ago. I liked how Pitt just got more aggressive and went for it. That’s really what you have to do. Keep swinging. Probably won’t be much said about it but DeBeer really struggled the last three sets. That was also a pretty big factor.

On to the Final Four! H2P

Reactions: 121rum and Fk_Pitt
I thought that was a clear touch on DeBeer on 14-4. But, they don’t seem to call them when the ball changes directions unless you can see the actual touch. Then, Louisville wins the next two and I start to worry a little.

Still, 7 match points after the TO. Poor serve by Louisville but Fairbanks — and it doesn’t happen often— doesn’t make a good set. But, Louisville had to pop it over instead of killing it because of a poor pass, and Fairbanks got another chance. Same spot, perfect set, match over.

What a win. Who would have thought they could come from 2 back again.

Difference IMO: (1) DeBeer was mediocre in the last 3 sets. (2) We finally stopped serving Scott. (3) We have more arms. Babcock was terrible in set 1. VVG was poor in set 2. We went to Stafford and the MBs in set 3. In sets 4 and 5 we spread it around. They almost never could double on the block because Fairbanks had too many choices.

Fairbanks’ decision making got better and better as the match went on. She mixed in MB kills just enough. She went to Stafford and Babcock from the back row. Babcock came around in sets 4 and 5. Her serving in set 4 was awesome.

For them, Jones started hot but then became a non-factor. Luper started out on fire but then started missing everything until set 5. DeBeer gets way too much TV time because she is blonde and cute, but she faded badly about midway through set 3 and her defense, which usually is outstanding, was mediocre. They didn’t have many options for big swings in those last three sets.
#10 was the Cardinals best player today.

Nice recap, BTW

couple thoughts:
Kilka didn’t do anything super amazing today but her consistency was the one of the differences in the match. Her counterpart on Louisville started out hot but I think Babcock’s run rattled her. Klika didn’t really let any mistakes compound into bigger mistakes

Agreed that Fairbanks didn’t have her best game, but she played her best the most when it mattered. Seemed like debeer tooled her quite a few times in the first three games, but it seemed like every single Fairbanks block came in a huge situation

Volleyball can be a humbling game. I almost feel bad for Louisville after that self destruction in games 4 and 5

couple thoughts:
Kilka didn’t do anything super amazing today but her consistency was the one of the differences in the match. Her counterpart on Louisville started out hot but I think Babcock’s run rattled her. Klika didn’t really let any mistakes compound into bigger mistakes

Agreed that Fairbanks didn’t have her best game, but she played her best the most when it mattered. Seemed like debeer tooled her quite a few times in the first three games, but it seemed like every single Fairbanks block came in a huge situation

Volleyball can be a humbling game. I almost feel bad for Louisville after that self destruction in games 4 and 5
Please.....never feel bad when Louisville loses....and rejoice when they are pummeled into submission ;)

She wasn't in the picture of the players departing the program that Louisville posted. Jones is done which is pretty big. Petrenko and Rush are done too. They're in a pretty talent rich area so I'm certain they'll reload but unless I'm missing something, DeBeer will be back.
"DeBeer will be back!"
Just like Bud Light!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT