ADVERTISEMENT

Very interesting point by Peak....

jtownpantherfan

Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 20, 2012
On Chris Peak's Friday edition of the morning Pitt, Chris brought up a very interesting point about Pitt's starters that transferred. He said that people like Deshields, Hayes and Jules transferred for money rather than playing time. To be reserves or to fill in as depth players. This got me to think, do these players think that they can have their cake and eat it too, so to speak? It's very rare that the NFL drafts, or even invites to a rookie camp, a player who sees limited snaps in college as a depth player. That being said, what then is going through the minds of these kids, like Hayes, Deshields or Jules, who only have one year of eligibility left? Do I go for the money now because my chances of making it to the next level are slim to none? Are they getting bad advice from family "advisors"? Are other coaches over promising and then under delivering? There's the old saying in NFL camps that "you don't make the club, if you are always in the tub." Well, these kids should also realize another point; "you don't get drafted if you spend most of your time on the sidelines". Which, in the case of the three I mentioned here, could look to be the case. I'm not saying that they definitely won't get looked at by the "next level". However, if your playing time is drastically reduced, how much of a reality would that be?

We all hear when a kid is being recruited out of high school that it's his dream to make it to "the league", as they say it. We also know that the percentage of college players that actually make it to the next level, any pro league, is like two percent or less. Knowing that statistical fact, can college coaches use that when recruiting high school kids and/or transfers? Can coaches say to a kid; "Do you want to have a realistic shot at your "dream" by developing into a potential pro player at one school or do you want to make money by transferring to the highest bidding school each year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News