ADVERTISEMENT

"Victory Heights" announcement on Tuesday

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
Press release from Pitt:

University of Pittsburgh Chancellor Patrick Gallagher and Director of Athletics Heather Lyke will host a 1 p.m. press conference on Tuesday, January 14, at the Petersen Events Center, where they will reveal plans for Pitt’s Victory Heights athletics facility project.

The press conference will entail a speaking and visual presentation on the court, followed by a reporter question and answer session held in the media suite. In addition to Chancellor Gallagher and Athletic Director Lyke, attending media will have interview opportunities with Volleyball Coach Dan Fisher, Wrestling Coach Keith Gavin, Gymnastics Coach Samantha Snider and Track and Field/Cross Country Coach Alonzo Webb.

The presentation and interview session will be live streamed via @Pitt_Athletics. Archived video will be available on PittsburghPanthers.com.

$300 million for an on-campus athletics facility that is not a football stadium is a really bad investment. I would love for these teams to have new facilities but not at the expense of football. This football team cannot seriously expect any kind of success playing in a 70K seat stadium. There's too many empty seats and that kills any type of atmosphere.

The best way to spend $300 million is to build a 40K-45K seat football stadium. People have said that the ROI of that compared to Heinz wasnt there. OK, but whats the ROI of the new volleyball arena. Volleyball is doing great but they had 1600 people show up for a Round of 32 match.

$300 million for an on-campus athletics facility that is not a football stadium is a really bad investment. I would love for these teams to have new facilities but not at the expense of football. This football team cannot seriously expect any kind of success playing in a 70K seat stadium. There's too many empty seats and that kills any type of atmosphere.

The best way to spend $300 million is to build a 40K-45K seat football stadium. People have said that the ROI of that compared to Heinz wasnt there. OK, but whats the ROI of the new volleyball arena. Volleyball is doing great but they had 1600 people show up for a Round of 32 match.
tenor.gif

Jeff Capel was right...

I think this is actually great news for everyone – including the proponents of an on-campus football stadium.

In conjunction with what they’ve already built with the Petersen Athletic Complex as well as the Petersen Events Center, Pitt appears to be basically taking care of nearly all of its Olympic sports in one fell swoop. That’s a really big deal for the entire Pitt athletic department and it will help everyone in the long run.

Also, it’s the right thing to do for the young men and women who work their rear ends off for the University of Pittsburgh but who don’t play football or men’s basketball.

This is not going to be Pitt’s last fundraising initiative and when this project is complete, that would absolutely and finally clear the way for real legitimate discussion on the feasibility, viability and possible location of an on-campus or campus-adjacent stadium.

That conversation desperately needs to be had but it really wasn’t possible before the completion of this project.

I don’t love Heinz Field either. I think it is far too large for our needs and that ultimately hurts the program. I will always believe that. However, it is undeniably a 21st-century facility.

Most of our current venues for our Olympic sports or not only not 21st century facilities, they are not even later half of the 20th century facilities. Those facilities have needed to be replaced for a long, long time.

The track and field teams don’t even have a facility. Just stop and think about that for a second. We have a D1 athletic program in a major power conference and we don’t even have a track anywhere on our campus? How in the world is that ever acceptable?

Those things need/needed to be addressed first. Now, it appears they are being addressed and that’s great news for everyone, IMHO.

Also, I don’t think people are fully appreciating how much this is going to dramatically transform the upper campus.

This is going to be a massive and modern structure with a brand new track and field facility presumably right behind it. It’s going to clear the way for them to finally replace the Cost Center and that horrible parking deck with a glistening new and modern facility. It will also allow them to replace archaic Fitzgerald Fieldhouse with a modern parking deck.

Don’t get me wrong, I dearly loved the old Fieldhouse and was there for many of its iconic moments — including, “Send it in, Jerome!” I spent half my childhood there. However, it’s time has definitely come and gone. Frankly, it’s time had come and gone by the time I was a child, and that was many, many moons ago.

I sincerely believe that in four or five years, that whole area is going to look much, much nicer than it ever has in any of our lifetimes. That will help everyone, including football and men’s basketball recruits.

Last edited:
I think this is actually great news for everyone – including the proponents of an on-campus football stadium.

In conjunction with what they’ve already built with the Petersen Athletic Complex as well as the Petersen Events Center, Pitt appears to be basically taking care of nearly all of its Olympic sports in one fell swoop. That’s a really big deal for the entire Pitt athletic department and it will help everyone in the long run.

Also, it’s the right thing to do for the young men and women who work their rear ends off for the University of Pittsburgh but who don’t play football or men’s basketball.

This is not going to be Pitt’s last fundraising initiative and when this project is complete, that would absolutely and finally clear the way for real legitimate discussion on the feasibility, viability and possible location of an on-campus or campus-adjacent stadium.

That conversation desperately needs to be had but it really wasn’t possible before the completion of this project.

I don’t love Heinz Field either. I think it is far too large for our needs and that ultimately hurts the program. I will always believe that. However, it is undeniably a 21st-century facility.

Most of our current venues for our Olympic sports or not only not 21st century facilities, they are not even later half of the 20th century facilities. Those facilities have needed to be replaced for a long, long time.

The track and field teams don’t even have a facility. Just stop and think about that for a second. We have a D1 athletic program in a major power conference and we don’t even have a track anywhere on our campus? How in the world is that ever acceptable?

Those things need/needed to be addressed first. Now, it appears they are being addressed and that’s great news for everyone, IMHO.

Also, I don’t think people are fully appreciating how much this is going to dramatically transform the upper campus.

This is going to be a massive and modern structure with a brand new track and field facility presumably right behind it. It’s going to clear the way for them to finally replace the Cost Center and that horrible parking deck with a glistening new and modern facility. It will also allow them to replace archaic Fitzgerald Fieldhouse with a modern parking deck.

Don’t get me wrong, I dearly loved the old Fieldhouse and was there for many of its iconic moments — including, “Send it in, Jerome!” I spent half my childhood there. However, it’s time has definitely come and gone. Frankly, it’s time had come and gone by the time I was a child, and that was many, many moons ago.

I sincerely believe that in four or five years, that whole area is going to look much, much nicer than it ever has in any of our lifetimes. That will help everyone, including football and men’s basketball recruits.

It is proof at least that cost is not the reason we don't have our own football stadium. If Pitt doesn't think $300 million is too much for volleyball, wrestling, and T&F, I cant imagine they would think a new football stadium is just too expensive.

Can't wait to see some renderings. Anticipation is great given the money we are spending on this project.

Ok SMF whenever some architect developers a plan to built a football stadium in space over 5th Ave and Forbes then you can suggest the capacity. Just beat this stadium issue to death.

Would like to see buildings with some height up there to give Pitt more prominence from downtown.

Agreed, and this is a good point. With the Olympic sports out of the way, Pitt officials can switch their full attention to the on-campus stadium question if they choose to do so.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
The End for an on campus stadium.

As I've mentioned it shows where the sports emphasis will be in the future and I doubt PITT football is on the long term list.

My guess down the road, when PITT gets a chance and has a good excuse will take an exit ramp which doesn't include football and PITT will return to the BigEast with basketball and the other sports mentioned.

As I've mentioned it shows where the sports emphasis will be in the future and I doubt PITT football is on the long term list.

My guess down the road, when PITT gets a chance and has a good excuse will take an exit ramp which doesn't include football and PITT will return to the BigEast with basketball and the other sports mentioned.
Building a new football stadium on the OC lot never made any sense. It would have been an absolute nightmare.

Reactions: ThePanthers
ACC needs to start sponsoring gymnastics so we can get that sport on ACCN. May help to attract more female viewers and corresponding female targeted advertisers.

At least Pitt has a chance to win a NC in basketball.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Anyone else remember last year when Pitt's combined athletic performance was nearly dead last nationally and how embarrassing that looked? The football team currently has professional caliber facilities. It would be insane to spend money on that when everything else is in such bad shape.
That and it is important to improve daily student life as well.

And, if I have this right, assuming the new facility includes a standard, banked, indoor track, it would be the only such facility in the region. WVU has one, Youngstown State has one, and Penn State has one, but there isn't one that exists in the Pittsburgh region. That would be a pretty big opportunity for the school and the region, as well.

Pitt officials DON'T WANT an on campus stadium. There will be no plan to look into the matter after Victory Heights.

Respectfully, I think that’s an absolutely insane prediction. I don’t see any of these choices as being any indication whatsoever of your dire predictions.

Just to be crystal clear here, the University of Connecticut, which recently made a move similar to what you are predicting for Pitt, would trade places with the Panthers in a New York second.

Last edited:
It is proof at least that cost is not the reason we don't have our own football stadium. If Pitt doesn't think $300 million is too much for volleyball, wrestling, and T&F, I cant imagine they would think a new football stadium is just too expensive.
I have never thought cost was a factor at all. Despite all the nonsense to the contrary you hear all the time, trust me when I tell you that the University of Pittsburgh is a large and powerful institution with a vast and wealthy alumni base. If they put the call out for donations for a $300 million on campus football stadium, they would have that money raised within a year or two.

I think it is all space related and priorities related. I also happen to believe that both of those issues are very solvable. However, this had to happen first, which is why this is a good day for everyone – even proponents on campus football stadium.

Last edited:
I believe there was significant politics involved in the victory heights venture.

From title IX, the ACC, likely from some deep pocketed donors. We arent a legitimate ACC athletic program until we have the appearance/ facilities of one.

With this in mind, there will be an eventual serious discussion about an on campus stadium.

I also am convinced the only feasible place to build it is where it was in the first place.

An OCS domed stadium for FB and MBB and WBB is the cherry on top.

I am convinced its coming.

Anyone else remember last year when Pitt's combined athletic performance was nearly dead last nationally and how embarrassing that looked? The football team currently has professional caliber facilities. It would be insane to spend money on that when everything else is in such bad shape.

Nobody
Cares
About
These
Sports

I am happy they are getting new facilities but upset its instead of football. These are non-revenue sports. They exist because football and basketball fund them. I would have them play at high schools and finish winless forever if it meant football can have a right-sized stadium

I believe there was significant politics involved in the victory heights venture.

From title IX, the ACC, likely from some deep pocketed donors. We arent a legitimate ACC athletic program until we have the appearance/ facilities of one.

With this in mind, there will be an eventual serious discussion about an on campus stadium.

I also am convinced the only feasible place to build it is where it was in the first place.

A domed stadium for basketball would be far too big. And the football stadium doesn't have to be on-campus. It just has to be the right size. That said, if you have $300-$500 million, you can buy a plot in Oakland and tear down some stuff and build it.

Reactions: clarks4life
Well, there’s no way they are tearing down the Petersen Events Center to build a Carrier Dome style multipurpose stadium. That just doesn’t make any sense.

Well, I suppose it could start to make some sense in another 25 or 30 years, but even then I don’t see it happening.

From where I sit, I don’t think there’s any way it can even go on the upper campus. The infrastructural challenges there are just too great. The only caveat I would offer is if they had some sort of major ramp that went straight from Bigelow Boulevard to the backend of the upper campus. However, that seems like it would be extraordinarily expensive.

Everyone talks about how impossible a new stadium would be to get to because of how difficult Pitt Stadium was to get to. However, they’re looking at it all wrong. Pitt Stadium was built in the mid 20s, without any regard whatsoever to what would happen to transportation throughout the world. I simply cannot imagine any scenario in which the University of Pittsburgh would drop hundreds of millions of dollars on the stadium only to put it in the exact same spot that proved so problematic with the original stadium.

I think any new stadium would have to be built on or near a major artery for ingress/egress reasons. Now, would that be easily achievable? No, it would be extraordinarily difficult to pull off - which is why it may never happen. Is it a slam dunk to happen in the future? No, of course not. Is it a plausible goal somewhere down the line? Without question it is a plausible goal. Anyone folding their arms and wagging a disapproving finger at you telling you otherwise is completely full of shit.

Last edited:
Nobody
Cares
About
These
Sports

I am happy they are getting new facilities but upset its instead of football. These are non-revenue sports. They exist because football and basketball fund them. I would have them play at high schools and finish winless forever if it meant football can have a right-sized stadium

Plenty of people care. And more importantly, the conference and university care.

Is there anyone else who thinks a Pitt stadium that’s not on campus is a good way to go? I know it was him the last time who said it but I can’t recall if anyone else supported this.

I don’t know if an on campus is ever in the cards and I really don’t care if it ever happens. But building a new stadium and it not being on campus seems crazy to me.

Reactions: pittdan77
Nobody
Cares
About
These
Sports

You don't really think about things too much before you type, do you?

Is there anyone else who thinks a Pitt stadium that’s not on campus is a good way to go? I know it was him the last time who said it but I can’t recall if anyone else supported this.

I don’t know if an on campus is ever in the cards and I really don’t care if it ever happens. But building a new stadium and it not being on campus seems crazy to me.

I don’t think it has to be on campus, per se, but I do think it needs to be near the campus – certainly within a reasonably walkable distance for the students.

I just don’t think shuttling students to and from games is ever going to lead to a good outcome for the university.

More than anything though it has to be the right size. I would go on the small side and make it a 40-42,000 seat band box. I can’t think of any good reason to make it 45-50,000 seats. That seems dumb to me.

Nobody
Cares
About
These
Sports

Our Athletic Director Cares. Nothing else matters.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
You don't really think about things too much before you type, do you?

No,

He absolutely does not.

Complaining that a multi purpose facility would be too big for basketball , not even considering the ability to "right size" a venue for the audience.

No, he absolutely does not, suggesting tearing down existing buildings as if it's done on a weekly basis. See the U...and their attempt for an OCS.

While Dr Yinzers infrastructure concerns have merit, the cost factor....recognizing the land under the Pete is already acquired, will lead to that site as the location. The question is will there be an appetite for this? We dont know....but Gallagher and heather will not be the ones deciding this.

And no....its not happening next year, or likely in this decade,

But the Pete will be several years older when this gets to the forefront.

The stars will align, and the Pete will be replaced.

No,

He absolutely does not.

Complaining that a multi purpose facility would be too big for basketball , not even considering the ability to "right size" a venue for the audience.

No, he absolutely does not, suggesting tearing down existing buildings as if it's done on a weekly basis. See the U...and their attempt for an OCS.

While Dr Yinzers infrastructure concerns have merit, the cost factor....recognizing the land under the Pete is already acquired, will lead to that site as the location. The question is will there be an appetite for this? We dont know....but Gallagher and heather will not be the ones deciding this.

And no....its not happening next year, or likely in this decade,

But the Pete will be several years older when this gets to the forefront.

The stars will align, and the Pete will be replaced.
I personally think that a joint indoor venue for football and basketball would be a disaster. Instead of having one good venue for basketball and one good (but admittedly oversized) venue for football, you'd have one venue that sucks at doing both of those things - because every single one of these Carrier Dome-type ventures sucks for football and sucks for basketball.

I do think that Heinz Field will continue to be Pitt's home for at least as long as the Steelers are there...but a Carrier Dome type venue would be a disaster and a massive waste of money, whenever it would potentially happen.

I think you might be onto something.

Hear me out.

They’re not going to tear down the Petersen Events Center, and they’re not going to build a domed stadium. But...

They just might have enough room to squeeze a stadium into the hill by tearing down Panther Hall and doing extensive work on the Pete to demolish the student fitness center, NOT the actual basketball arena itself. The latter takes up a larger chunk than you might think. Imagine a layout that’s similar to Boone Pickens Stadium, where the stadium is connected to the arena but they’re two separate structures.

This would be much cheaper than tearing down the entire Petersen Events Center and they might be able to compensate for these subtractions in the campus-wide masterplan. IIRC, student housing and a new student gym and fitness were part of the plans. You’re also not removing any parking, either, which will be in any on-campus stadium discussion. To top it off, it’d once again have a direct shot of the Cathedral of Learning.

Building on the VA Hospital is pipedream and, honestly, I’m not sure where else they would put it anywhere on campus, let alone upper campus. This way, all the athletic facilities would be located near each other, creating an athletic village.

I personally think that a joint indoor venue for football and basketball would be a disaster. Instead of having one good venue for basketball and one good (but admittedly oversized) venue for football, you'd have one venue that sucks at doing both of those things - because every single one of these Carrier Dome-type ventures sucks for football and sucks for basketball.

I do think that Heinz Field will continue to be Pitt's home for at least as long as the Steelers are there...but a Carrier Dome type venue would be a disaster and a massive waste of money, whenever it would potentially happen.

If I had to guess, I would say that no one that is a Syracuse fan loves the idea. Nor do I think Pitt fans will get overly excited.

But any facility that is built will have ancillary facilities for students, likely UPMC, perhaps retail. Thus making it likely to be on campus, and given the costs and physical limitations I think this is our future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT