ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball tournament selection show 6pm

My hopes are a top 4 seed. At worst, be on the side of the draw that avoids Nebraska.
Problem is, if we don’t get a #1, we are probably the first #2, paired with the overall 4, which still puts us in Nebraska’s half. Obviously, the #3 overall seed is the dream scenario, but I’m not getting my hopes up.

My top 16 prediction:

1. Nebraska
2. Stanford
3. Wisconsin
4. Pitt
5. Oregon
6. Louisville
7. Kentucky
8. Texas
9. Tennessee
10. Arkansas
11. Washington State
12. Creighton
13. Purdue
14. Kansas
15. BYU
16. GT

Might be wishful thinking that Louisville is 6 and not 5 but I reaaaaaaally don’t want to play them a third time. I think we get our revenge on Oregon if we get them again

My top 16 prediction:

1. Nebraska
2. Stanford
3. Wisconsin
4. Pitt
5. Oregon
6. Louisville
7. Kentucky
8. Texas
9. Tennessee
10. Arkansas
11. Washington State
12. Creighton
13. Purdue
14. Kansas
15. BYU
16. GT

Might be wishful thinking that Louisville is 6 and not 5 but I reaaaaaaally don’t want to play them a third time. I think we get our revenge on Oregon if we get them again
I like playing Oregon as well....but I see no way they would be moved out of Stanford's region. The committee probably also loves the notion of another Pitt - Louisville match. Too bad about Wisconsin slipping back into the top 4.

Does the Volleyball Committee use a true S curve or do they attempt to minimize travel among teams on the same seed line?

Does the Volleyball Committee use a true S curve or do they attempt to minimize travel among teams on the same seed line?
They rank the first 32 teams and the rest are geographically decided within reason. Until recently (last year?) it was only the first 16 teams, so this is a bit less goofy.

Reactions: RightSaidTed
Would they play at the Pete the whole way through considering the hoops schedule? Assuming they get a top 4 seed

Thanks. Make sense, unfortunately, probably also increases the likelihood we end up with Louisville.
The upset of Nebraska by Wisconsin has given Pitt the least desirable outcome. Prior to that we would have been a #3 as a top seed. Wisconsin will probably get that slot. We will be the 4th top seed and Louisville will slide to a 2nd seed but the top 2nd seed which means Louisville and Pitt will be in the same bracket. We will face them in the elite 8 for a spot in the final 4. If we beat Louisville we will face Nebraska in the semi final.

The upset of Nebraska by Wisconsin has given Pitt the least desirable outcome. Prior to that we would have been a #3 as a top seed. Wisconsin will probably get that slot. We will be the 4th top seed and Louisville will slide to a 2nd seed but the top 2nd seed which means Louisville and Pitt will be in the same bracket. We will face them in the elite 8 for a spot in the final 4. If we beat Louisville we will face Nebraska in the semi final.

I hope not, but I think that's exactly the way it's going to fall.

Reactions: Chaos
Louisville gets the 2 seed in Pitt’s bracket, so if both teams make the elite 8 they will play for the third time this year, in Pittsburgh

They rank the first 32 teams and the rest are geographically decided within reason. Until recently (last year?) it was only the first 16 teams, so this is a bit less goofy.
They can say that but the brackets say otherwise. The only non-West Coast teams in Stanford’s bracket are Houston and Georgia. I think they gerrymandered the top 32 to minimize the traveling.

Meanwhile, Stanford has the easiest bracket.

Reactions: vantheman1976
tickets are on sale on the Pitt site, but they're all general admission for some reason. That's disappointing to me as a season ticket holder.
If/when there are matches at FFH, you will still not get your seat. Most of the closed side of the arena will be given to the participating teams to disperse.

If/when there are matches at FFH, you will still not get your seat. Most of the closed side of the arena will be given to the participating teams to disperse.
Apparently not if....the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 matches will be held in the Fitzgerald.

The No. 1 seed Panthers look to Friday when they play Coppin State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday at 7 p.m. in the Petersen Events Center. Both the first and second rounds will be played in the Petersen Events Center while the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight matches will be held in the Fitzgerald Field House.

I think all seats should be reserved, and season ticket holders should get first choices.

I think all seats should be reserved, and season ticket holders should get first choices.
FFH will be reserved seating, yes, but it will not be your choice of the entire arena. The NCAA requires a certain allotment of tickets for each visiting team right behind the benches. Obviously we have STHs in those seats normally, so they can't give anyone their "normal seats."

Pitt does have some preferred seating options for the Pete if you contact the ticket office (courtside/suites). I will have to ask them if anything like that will exist at FFH.

They can say that but the brackets say otherwise. The only non-West Coast teams in Stanford’s bracket are Houston and Georgia.
If the NCAA matches a team to a host within 400mi (I think?) the NCAA is not obligated to pay their travel. If the NCAA tells the team you need to play on the opposite coast, the NCAA pays to fly that team. When the NCAA schedules the first weekend, they rank the first 32 teams and then fill in the rest.

The problem on the west coast is that there's no difference in the math to fly a team from California to Oregon or from California to Pittsburgh. Once you are beyond the 400 mi magical distance, they might as well send you to Australia.

This is why Pitt played consecutive years at PSU in their early tournament days, because Pittsburgh is reasonably close to PSU. Then a few years ago, PSU had to play here for the same reason. At that time, they only seeded 16 teams, so even a team ranked in the top-25 would automatically be placed at the closest host (Pitt). If that had been in place now, we would have PSU in the 2nd round instead of USC.

The other reason that gets complicated is they avoid conference matches until the second weekend (at least). USC can't play at Stanford, or Washington State, or Oregon.

FFH will be reserved seating, yes, but it will not be your choice of the entire arena. The NCAA requires a certain allotment of tickets for each visiting team right behind the benches. Obviously we have STHs in those seats normally, so they can't give anyone their "normal seats."

Pitt does have some preferred seating options for the Pete if you contact the ticket office (courtside/suites). I will have to ask them if anything like that will exist at FFH.
I meant that season ticket holders get first shot at available seats, prior to the general public. I understand that participating teams will get allotted tickets. H2P

I meant that season ticket holders get first shot at available seats, prior to the general public. I understand that participating teams will get allotted tickets. H2P
I'm also not sure that is possible under NCAA rules. Regardless, I believe it was a free-for-all the last time Pitt released Regional tickets for FFH. I don't anticipate any level of advanced availability for us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT