ADVERTISEMENT

Wake Part 3 Thoughts

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
Kudos to Ish first and foremost. Feel like he has gone under the radar a bit this season because of Blake, Bub, and the emergence of Jaland. When we look back at this season, I think we will all appreciate just what he has done. What a player. That performance yesterday was one of the most clutch performances on a big stage I've ever seen in this program. 35 minutes off of the bench is wild. You could tell right away yesterday that he was locked in. No sense in taking him out. 8 rebounds and 5 steals too. He could have easily had a couple more steals too, with some questionable calls. Pitt has at least three players that thrive in pressure situations. You could argue Ish is as clutch as it gets. Just a cold blooded killer. Not sure he has changed his facial expression since he got here. A lot of guys get sped up and their heart races in big spots. I think Legget's slows down. Just such a unique player. He is basically like Christian McCaffery on the hardwood. Always moving, always a step ahead. I have not seen a guard that is able to read defensive bodies like that. He can spin on you in a phone booth.

Thought the officiating was kind of ridiculous. They basically let everything go early. The first half was essentially a football game. Then I knew that they would overcompensate. It always goes that way. Not a fan of big swings within a game of how they are calling it.

I'm going to Guillermo next. He earned it. The two threes were big, but the finish inside from Blake was huge. There is no way he finishes that last season. Maybe not even earlier this season. He got hit just before that and just threw the ball at the backboard. That was a tough empty possession there, but he came back and responded. Another tough one ahead for him tonight, but he is starting to make things tough on the opponents now.

Blake was really good again, just quiet. Felt like Blake, and the entire team, did a great job of letting the hot hand operate. They could not guard Leggett, and his teammates knew it.

Bub was good too I thought. What a tough turnaround. Thought that three after a tough miss spoke volumes too. This team just keeps coming at you. They don't hesitate or fear for a second. They just play and never let anything negative impact the next play. Big time stuff. Thought he was great defensively as well.

Jaland was also in more of a support role. The 11 and 5 assists were huge but he didn't shoot it well. Still, how many times did he draw a foul in big moments? There were so many times it seemed like Pitt's offense was stalling and that they may be on the ropes, and Jaland would just drive and draw a foul. Jaland is not a great athlete but I have yet to see him not be able to get by someone. He has an incredible knack for always moving. He is long and has an unbelievable feel for the game. Jaland is like a running back that is always falling forward and picking up hidden yards. No one can speed him up or disrupt him. Even when he has to, he just gets rid of the ball and moves immediately. He never picks up his dribble too soon. So crafty and fun to watch.

This is an NCAA Tournament team. I don't care about any of the numbers. Just watch the game. This has basically just been an attack on the ACC. If you are asking me, I think Pitt and Wake should be in. Maybe even Clemson too. Just watch the games. The ACC is not the best conference any more, but it is nowhere near as bad as they will tell you. Look at the recent history of what the ACC teams have done in the tournament. What else do you need? A bad loss early in the season to a high major? It happens. The OOC did not turn out well, but they still had several high majors on the schedule. I'm really not sure what else they should have done. The fact that they aren't locked in across the board is just amazing to me.

I do think one thing that people overlook about Joe Lunardi is that he is telling us what he thinks the committee will do. He is not necessarily sharing his opinion or saying what he would do. Still, I would just not be able to put myself out there like that publicly, regardless of what I think committee will do. It would not be worth embarrassing myself.

Carolina is peaking at the right time too, and they seem focused on sweeping the ACC this season. Not sure they could have played any better yesterday. Pitt will need to hold up better on the glass if they want a chance in this one. Should be a fun one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News