ADVERTISEMENT

Walsh reporting boyd arrested with DUI---but sources state he was well below .08

What a moron. Just keep your head down and perform and you're a first rounder. Now this is going to be at the top of his scouting report

What world do you live in? Jameis Winston went first overall in the draft despite a strong history of being a complete clown off the field. If Boyd is good enough and not actively in jail during the NFL draft, he'll get taken.

Not excusable in the least bit, but every college has this, along with many high schools. There is a reason that they are called kids. ..they make poor choices. Thankfully no one was hurt and hopefully this is a lesson learned for tyler

Reactions: crafty
Suspending him one game likely won't cut it with a lot of people. I'd suspend him the first 3 games of the season. That's a quarter of the season and is big enough to send a message. Pitt can still win their first 3 games without Boyd.

Suspending him one game likely won't cut it with a lot of people. I'd suspend him the first 3 games of the season. That's a quarter of the season and is big enough to send a message. Pitt can still win their first 3 games without Boyd.

3 games!! Come on. One game is enough. Who cares what "a lot of people" think. They're not running the program.

Perhaps if the previous folks were still in control - but it's time we get in line with how other schools handle these things... I'm particularly fond of "internal discipline" or requirements for players to clean up a small part of the stadium...

I'm sure TB knows he made a mistake - a mistake that many people have made and have not been caught...

Link to TB story

Go Pitt.

Last edited:
Can you imagine what this board would be saying if this happened to Shell at WVU or Hack at PSU!!!Personally not a big deal to me,20 year olds make mistakes.I'm the father of two sons and believe me they made mistakes while in college but both turned out just fine.I agree with Major handle it like Joepa did internally,sometimes this is best!BWDIK

I think that he should have to pick up trash in Section 522 at Heinz the Sunday morning after the home opener.

Can you imagine what this board would be saying if this happened to Shell at WVU or Hack at PSU!!!Personally not a big deal to me,20 year olds make mistakes.I'm the father of two sons and believe me they made mistakes while in college but both turned out just fine.I agree with Major handle it like Joepa did internally,sometimes this is best!BWDIK

Vulcan, this is where you are slightly wrong. I think everyone would agree DUI's are extremely serious offenses. Many can attest to the negative impact DUI's have had on millions of families. I think you are confusing tongue in cheek rips at PSU when they claim their student athletes are "better people" than other schools' athletes. They just fail to recognize the double speak that cult leader Joe lead them on. If you have your divine leader preaching about how much better you and your program is in relationship to others, then be prepared to have it rubbed in your face. I don't think that there is a single Pitt fan that believes we run a morally superior program to others, nor is there a single Pitt fan that believes Penn State or WVU or ND or fill in the blank runs a morally superior program. Kids are kids and they make poor choices in life (at Pitt or PSu or WVU, etc...) In using the great Sue Paterno's own words, no place is truly camelot...

Confirmed he was under the legal limit and would have been allowed to drive on if he was 21. Different because he is still only20.

According to Josh Yohe, and as DC Panther stated, Boyd was below .08, but because he admitted to having a few drinks earlier in the night, he was questioned by police. Legally safe to drive, but drinking underage. If I were to guess, at best Narduzzi suspends him for half of the YSU game only because he didn't tell coach about the event. If I were to guess about the charges, I bet nothing comes of it and no charges will be filed...

Vulcan, this is where you are slightly wrong. I think everyone would agree DUI's are extremely serious offenses. Many can attest to the negative impact DUI's have had on millions of families. I think you are confusing tongue in cheek rips at PSU when they claim their student athletes are "better people" than other schools' athletes. They just fail to recognize the double speak that cult leader Joe lead them on. If you have your divine leader preaching about how much better you and your program is in relationship to others, then be prepared to have it rubbed in your face. I don't think that there is a single Pitt fan that believes we run a morally superior program to others, nor is there a single Pitt fan that believes Penn State or WVU or ND or fill in the blank runs a morally superior program. Kids are kids and they make poor choices in life (at Pitt or PSu or WVU, etc...) In using the great Sue Paterno's own words, no place is truly camelot...
ratking17...I have to point out to you that Tyler Boyd is NOT a kid, he is a 21 year old man. Being a 21 year old man, he should be held accountable for all of his actions (both good and bad). I don't know what punishment should be given to him because I don't know all of the facts of the situation, but if he was indeed driving while under the influence, then his punishment should be harsh enough to make him understand that he made a poor decision and should never make that same choice again.
Sadly, Tyler Boyd may have just cost himself millions of dollars.

ratking17...I have to point out to you that Tyler Boyd is NOT a kid, he is a 21 year old man. Being a 21 year old man, he should be held accountable for all of his actions (both good and bad). I don't know what punishment should be given to him because I don't know all of the facts of the situation, but if he was indeed driving while under the influence, then his punishment should be harsh enough to make him understand that he made a poor decision and should never make that same choice again.
Sadly, Tyler Boyd may have just cost himself millions of dollars.

He is 20, hence the underage issue. Note the previous post about his blood alcohol being well within the legal limits; hence the reason no charges have been filed as of yet...

What world do you live in? Jameis Winston went first overall in the draft despite a strong history of being a complete clown off the field. If Boyd is good enough and not actively in jail during the NFL draft, he'll get taken.

Yeah, and numerous great players fell FAR this year due to off-field concerns...

Are some of you people nuts? This is Tyler freaking Boyd we're talking about. All-time Pitt great. Great kid, never been in trouble. There is no way, not in a million years should he be suspended a game. NO WAY.

Running some extra sprints should do the trick.

And BTW, Jefferson Hills cops are some of the worst around. I mean, they were right for pulling him over but he shoulda gotten the star treatment. Probably that TJ inferiority complex thing.

Some of the posts on this thread are unbelievable.

He got stopped by a cop on "suspicion," passed all sobriety tests and TOLD THE TRUTH that he had a couple of shots. He cooperated fully with the police and gave a blood test. He handled himself completely appropriately and would have been permitted to drive home if he was over 21. The only reason he has any problem in this case is because he didn't lie to the cop.

He's a good kid who has never been a problem or required any discipline in the past. He's been a credit to Pitt over the last two years and always carried himself with class. He deserves and has earned the benefit of the doubt.

This will not cost him one draft slot or one dollar with the NFL and if he wasn't a football star there would be no press involved and he may not even be charged.

To date, he's not been charged with any crime.

Suspend him for 3 games????? Not a chance.

Handle the issue internally. He should not sit for one game.

Last edited:
Welp, it looks like I slightly overreacted to this. I thought he was charged already, not simply just questioned.

Hold him out for a half. This is pretty far down on the list of transgressions these kids do. He wasn't over the legal limit and I could give 2 shits if he drank alcohol 5 months early.

Reactions: pierre93
Rat I was assuming it was a underage drinking not a DUI.This was why I said handle it the Joepa way,internally.Now a DUI is a big no no and should be a suspension of some sort.

Vulcan, remember when Shell flunked drug tests here and was shown the door? Shell caused his own demise here, both programs you mentioned almost always take care of it internally and the cops know better to mess with their hometown teams.

He got stopped by a cop on "suspicion," passed all sobriety tests and TOLD THE TRUTH that he had a couple of shots. He cooperated fully with the police and gave a blood test. He handled himself completely appropriately and would have been permitted to drive home if he was over 21. The only reason he has any problem in this case is because he didn't lie to the cop.

He's a good kid who has never been a problem or required any discipline in the past. He's been a credit to Pitt over the last two years and always carried himself with class. He deserves and has earned the benefit of the doubt.

This will not cost him one draft slot or one dollar with the NFL and if he wasn't a football star there would be no press involved and he may not even be charged.

PITTLAW 04, you are correct, handled internally and a reality check.

No one injured, no damage.

As yourself ...If anyone's son or daughter not an athlete, no cell phone for a couple days...

Believe me 93 the cops don't take care of anyone anymore.The days of calling Dandy Don or Joepa to come get your boy is over.State College and Mo-town aren't the way they were in the 70s and 80s and they shouldn't be.Heck California is arresting football players now too!

I'm sure most people don't care if:
1) An underage college student drinks (without hurting others, causing trouble, etc).
2) Someone drives after drinking IF their ability to drive is not impacted AND they are below the legal DUI limit.
3) Someone forgets to use a turn signal if the only person who notices is a cop, especially in a small town since there a big part of cops' duties are making money for the precinct/town through fines for this type of stuff.

Put this all together, and what TB did was dumb only because he has the potential to make millions in the draft next spring, but quite frankly no one should actually care about this event simply because he's an athlete (assuming his driving was not impacted as his low BA level seems to indicate). Unfortunately the coach/program will be under intense public scrutiny to react appropriately even though no one actually cares about each of the parts of this story, other than who is involved, so he very well could be suspended.

If he has to be suspended, make it 1 entire game because it is also HCPN's job to do what's best for the players' future interests, and putting Boyd in for half a game (especially the 2nd half against a team we should be pounding) will hurt his per game stats and *could* have an effect on his draft status. My fingers are crossed for some BS summer punishment.

All I know is Tyler Boyd, is a class act and will knuckle down and take it like a man, apologize with regrets. and pledge to make sure he won't let it happen again.

Pitt has been very blessed with such players!

There is no sin is making a mistake, the sin is keep making the same mistake over and over, Boyd will take this in stride and abide by any punishment!

I think that he should have to pick up trash in Section 522 at Heinz the Sunday morning after the home opener.
Is that really a punishment? How much garbage can there be in the upper deck of a Pitt game?

An underage college student drinking? Egad! What is the world coming to?
So true.

For goodness sakes, I've had alcohol twice in my life, and both times I was 20. It should be a non story.

The only acceptable reason for any kind of suspension would be if Narduzzi feels that it is necessary to keep the team in line.

Just another example of an absurdly onerous and over-zealous politically correct law that should have never been promulgated by the pols. Zero point 02 is absurdly low for DUI regardless of whether underage. I am not against a law that says any detectable alcohol when you are underage that you can be charged with underage drinking; but legally defining 0.02 as DUI is way over the top. That is probably = 1 drink for the average human being over the age of 16. Whatever happened to common sense?

Assuming his final blood test numbers are low (i.e., not close to 0.08) I don't think Narduzzi should do anything significant about this. I would feel exactly the same way if it were a walk on who sits at the end of the bench--this is not a Tyler Boyd thing for me. IMHO, Boyd should be put behind a mike to publicly admit to stupidity for not waiting another 5 months before having an alcoholic beverage and promising he will wait until 21 to take his next drink. Nothing more should be needed.

Just another example of an absurdly onerous and over-zealous politically correct law that should have never been promulgated by the pols. Zero point 02 is absurdly low for DUI regardless of whether underage. I am not against a law that says any detectable alcohol when you are underage that you can be charged with underage drinking; but legally defining 0.02 as DUI is way over the top. That is probably = 1 drink for the average human being over the age of 16. Whatever happened to common sense?

Assuming his final blood test numbers are low (i.e., not close to 0.08) I don't think Narduzzi should do anything significant about this. I would feel exactly the same way if it were a walk on who sits at the end of the bench--this is not a Tyler Boyd thing for me. IMHO, Boyd should be put behind a mike to publicly admit to stupidity for not waiting another 5 months before having an alcoholic beverage and promising he will wait until 21 to take his next drink. Nothing more should be needed.
So you don't think there is nothing wrong with a Inexperienced 16 year old driving after having a few beers? The reason they have this law is because mixing the two is a deadly combination. I rather they learn a lesson now with a DUI then sending them on their way and end up killing an innocent person.

As far as Boyd in the grand scheme it not a big deal. He will learn from it.

Last edited:

Apples and oranges with Shell. Shell is a serial lughead of the first degree. Boyd by all information has been a solid kid to this point.

Hack at PSU, well, OK, but you are dealing with a lot of stuff with people's heads on this.

Take PSU out of the mix, and if it was the apples to apples, the star player at any other program who had no other previous issues, folks would be thinking the same as they think about Boyd here.

Reactions: pierre93

Mostly agree. As long as this is it, there is nothing else to it, nothing else pops up with him and he has had and continues to have his head in the right place within the program, it should be treated for what it is, a real, serious mistake, but an off field issue that did not harm anyone else. I do think a one game suspension with other internal discipline is probable.

As long as he takes care of business past this point, won't "hurt" him in any meaningful way.

Apples and oranges with Shell. Shell is a serial lughead of the first degree. Boyd by all information has been a solid kid to this point.

Hack at PSU, well, OK, but you are dealing with a lot of stuff with people's heads on this.

Take PSU out of the mix, and if it was the apples to apples, the star player at any other program who had no other previous issues, folks would be thinking the same as they think about Boyd here.

Players are on summer break, should this be a family issue ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT