ADVERTISEMENT

Was wondering if any of the garbage media in this town

mbe 34

All Conference
Nov 24, 2004
had the sense to sit down with the Pitt Allstar Alums and write a story.
How does Shady feel about the trade to Buffalo?
Where is Curtis Martin living and what is he doing - same with Jimbo Covert.
How does AD like playing for the Rams?
What an opportunity. - A bunch of current and past NFL stars and limited media around.
Few schools could get a group like this together

Maybe someone can link a story?
Pitt News may be the only hope

You are right. Sheer laziness.... they would rather TRY and give equal billing to other schools who most people around here dislike..

There's a very simple reason for this...

Ped State in their wildest dreams cannot match the star power that came back to Pitt yesterday. With Donald, Fitz, Shady and Curtis Martin in the house why would the Ped loving media want to call attention to that star power gap.

Re: MBE34, Agree, The Pitt Spring Hall Of Fame Game!...

.......Excellent idea and always make sure at least 1 if not all Pitt Hall of Famers in Pros and College are brought to the game and hold a Dinner or Tent Like Event right after or the next day recognizing the past players mixing with the current players and just enjoy being Pitt Players together.

It would attract fans, children, coaches, and make it a vice nice event on Pitt's Past, Present and Future and all about the Pitt Families getting together with other Families!

Nice idea for the new Athletic Director!

images

This post was edited on 4/19 1:37 PM by CaptainSidneyReilly

TV coverage.....

Since we couldn't make it yesterday, I purposefully watched the 6 PM KDKA and 6:30PM WTAE newscasts.

The KDKA segment was brief only showing some plays in the game. The PSU segment was even more brief. What caught my attention was when they went back to the news anchor (don't know his name) for whatever reason kind of snakily said, "Well I'm sure there was much better turnout for the PSU game?". To his credit (again sorry that I don't know his name), the sports anchor immediately pushed back and commented that the turnout at Highmark was fantastic with an SRO crowd. I hate to be paranoid, but there was no appropriate reason or segueway for the news anchor to even make that comment especially given no crowd shots from HV or Highmark.

The WTAE coverage was much better with highlights, soundbites from Narduzzi and Voytik (Fitz also?) and shots of all the returning Pitt players. They had no coverage of PSU scrimmage. I was a bit surprised neither station had shots of AD and Fitz coaching their teams.

This post was edited on 4/19 3:46 PM by pitt-girl

Andrew Stockey from WTAE spent much of the game on the "Fitz-Blue" sideline talking with many of the alumi that attended. Hopefully, he will leverage those conversations into some Pitt positive journalism. I thought channel 4 coverage was the best.

Last evening I did not see any Spring game reporting on Channel 11(WPXI). Solely highlighting the Pens game on NBC. Weak...

H2P

Re: TV coverage.....

WTAE has historically covered Pitt sports the best. John Conomikes, one of Pitt's biggest boosters used to be the head honcho there.

I paid $10 to park along with maybe 500-700 other cars and also ate with 6 people at the Hard Rock. Point being how much money did Pittsburgh businesses and city taxes make on Pitt fans versus the 99k at the OSU or Penn State? You think maybe our coverage should always be better?

That was Paul Martino that made that remark and it rankled me too! I can't remember who the sports guy was but it could have been Jeff Hathorn, glad he pushed back.

Martino rankled me too... with.. "many many more people at PSU game"..with his chuckle... I almost put my foot through my TV

Originally posted by drp1tt:
I paid $10 to park along with maybe 500-700 other cars and also ate with 6 people at the Hard Rock. Point being how much money did Pittsburgh businesses and city taxes make on Pitt fans versus the 99k at the OSU or Penn State? You think maybe our coverage should always be better?
The Buckeyes had over 100K for their game...

but only 99k paid the 5 dollar admission to get a seat.

I don't care if they get 150k at their games. Pitt grads can ALWAYS...

tell those morons that at least their head coach and school administrators didn't allow innocent little boys to be ****** in the *** by a coach, and then disgustingly attempt to cover it up. I'd rather Pitt lose every game for 50 years and average 30 people in attendance, then to find out that the University I have a degree from behaved in such a manner.

Originally posted by pitt-girl:
Since we couldn't make it yesterday, I purposefully watched the 6 PM KDKA and 6:30PM WTAE newscasts.

The KDKA segment was brief only showing some plays in the game. The PSU segment was even more brief. What caught my attention was when they went back to the news anchor (don't know his name) for whatever reason kind of snakily said, "Well I'm sure there was much better turnout for the PSU game?". To his credit (again sorry that I don't know his name), the sports anchor immediately pushed back and commented that the turnout at Highmark was fantastic with an SRO crowd. I hate to be paranoid, but there was no appropriate reason or segueway for the news anchor to even make that comment especially given no crowd shots from HV or Highmark.

The WTAE coverage was much better with highlights, soundbites from Narduzzi and Voytik (Fitz also?) and shots of all the returning Pitt players. They had no coverage of PSU scrimmage. I was a bit surprised neither station had shots of AD and Fitz coaching their teams.

This post was edited on 4/19 3:46 PM by pitt-girl
Agree. Saw that also and thought...."dude, what are you doing"? It was Paul Martino. I mean, why even say anything like this?

That being said, KDKA is usually better and more pro Pitt. WTAE sports is run by Guy Junker.

I've been on these boards for years and have never given much thought to members complaints concerning media coverage, partly due to the fact that I live in Maryland and haven't experienced it. That all changed with internet radio. The media coverage is very, very bad. For me to say it's bad..........it's bad. The biggest problem (I think) with the exception of Zeise and Peak, no one else seems to be intimately knowledgeable of Pitt's programs.

When Peak is interviewed on TribLive radio, one can tell they're void of insightful opinion to offer engaging discussion for the listening audience. An example would be speaking on the improved play of Chad Voytik between weeks 1 to week 10. It's like they're talking about car racing or some secondary sport, not division 1 football.

Nonetheless,despite their ignorance, they have segments devoted to discussing Pitt sports that's filled with sarcastic rhetoric and meaningless banter. No substance, no depth. It's as if they read maybe 2 Pitt related stories during the week to prepare them for having to carry out 30-45 minutes of air time discussing Pitt sports 2-3 times a week, during the season in particular.

If a student only reads the summary or studies the q&a at the end of a chapter of a text book and then asked to write an essay or verbally offer an opinion of that chapter, the student will be exposed for not knowing enough detail to provide an informed opinion. The radio media members have not done there homework. I don't know there names, but I've heard a couple of guys who are at least report with enthusiasm, despite not knowing there stuff. Most of the media (I'm speaking specifically of Ken Laird of TribLive radio and quite a few guys on 9.37 are disappointing.

Originally posted by colingrant2:

I've been on these boards for years and have never given much thought to members complaints concerning media coverage, partly due to the fact that I live in Maryland and haven't experienced it. That all changed with internet radio. The media coverage is very, very bad. For me to say it's bad..........it's bad. The biggest problem (I think) with the exception of Zeise and Peak, no one else seems to be intimately knowledgeable of Pitt's programs.

When Peak is interviewed on TribLive radio, one can tell they're void of insightful opinion to offer engaging discussion for the listening audience. An example would be speaking on the improved play of Chad Voytik between weeks 1 to week 10. It's like they're talking about car racing or some secondary sport, not division 1 football.

Nonetheless,despite their ignorance, they have segments devoted to discussing Pitt sports that's filled with sarcastic rhetoric and meaningless banter. No substance, no depth. It's as if they read maybe 2 Pitt related stories during the week to prepare them for having to carry out 30-45 minutes of air time discussing Pitt sports 2-3 times a week, during the season in particular.

If a student only reads the summary or studies the q&a at the end of a chapter of a text book and then asked to write an essay or verbally offer an opinion of that chapter, the student will be exposed for not knowing enough detail to provide an informed opinion. The radio media members have not done there homework. I don't know there names, but I've heard a couple of guys who are at least report with enthusiasm, despite not knowing there stuff. Most of the media (I'm speaking specifically of Ken Laird of TribLive radio and quite a few guys on 9.37 are disappointing.
I think one thing is the sheer lack of Pitt grads in the local media. And we know PSU grads are indoctrinated into the cult so they are much more fervent than Pitt grads.

Pompeani at KDKA is as Pitt friendly as they come, so is Richie Walsh.

But the comment made was by a weekend anchor, not a sports guy for KDKA.

Honestly, it was not that big of a deal, but again it does speak to the perception (and admitted reality) to the difference between the two programs. I think as spring games goes, this was about as successful as Pitt has had in years. But as Rob Rossi (who I cannot stand the miserable bastard) but in his parting shot on WPXI's Sports Show last night said, "spring football is the single most overhyped, ridiculous thing in sports. And sports is mostly overhyped and ridiculous." Nothing more true has been spoken.

Florida State, which no doubt will have their 90K or whatever every game come fall only had 17K at their spring game. What does that mean? It means most FSU grads and fans had something better to do. That is all.

Actually OSU broke the 100k mark.
In case anyone @ KDKA or PSU can count, that is 32,000 more than PSU.
As for Pitt, it must be difficult to be EJ. He has had to endure the running joke of SP: multiple head coaches etc..
He is my hero.
As for KDKA....it has to be difficult to be a has been. They fought the new rating system because they relied on people saying they watched KDKA whether they did or not.
Paul Martino? Who the hell is he? Never heard of him.
Pitt will be fine. There are worse things than having a chip on your shoulder and having something to prove.

Originally posted by colingrant2:

FWIW - I personally know of a Pitt grad with real market broadcasting experience at our "flagship" who should be on the air (radio) but for whatever reason, is not. Young guy, insightful, smart and sometimes posts here. So, interpret that as you will.

It all depends. You have plenty of people from the Pittsburgh going to Penn State spring game. Even if it is just 20% of the crowd was from the Pittsburgh area that means about 13,600 people. Those people most likely bought tailgate supplies and filled up with gas before leaving to state college.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT