ADVERTISEMENT

Watching a Senior Point Guard?

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
Sometimes when a coach is watching a game, it can be difficult to tell who they are watching. In the WPIAL or some other areas, it is pretty easy to figure out. In a city like Chicago with a program like Morgan Park, it can be a challenge. It was reported that Pitt was in attendance (Williamson), to watch senior point guard Marcus LoVett.

Were they actually watching him, or underclassmen? I am trying to confirm that now. LoVett would be a good guess, but I would like to get confirmation that they are involved with him first.

With that being said, I like it. The kid's story is well known. Moved to Chicago from California after being one of the most exciting players in the country. He had 57 and 45 point games as a freshman in California I believe. He was very highly-rated when he was younger, and his game has been picked apart a bit since being in the spotlight so much. His current ranking and offer list doesn't exactly match up with the numbers and hype.

Illinois and DePaul have offered and want him. Other programs like UCLA and Kansas are involved. He is in Chicago and plays with Mac Irvin Fire, a program that Williamson is connected to.

As a prospect, LoVett is small, and I think that has hurt his stock. He is about 6'0 and 175 pounds. With that being said, the kid is exciting and fearless. His nickname is "bright lights." He has earned a reputation of being very clutch. He has hit numerous game-winners and is known for taking over games in crunch time. If you search his name on YouTube, you will find quite a few highlight reels.

If you actually look at the roster and evaluate everything, this team does need a point guard. A true point guard similar to the ones that they have had before. A fearless lead guard that instills swagger and toughness across the roster. Pitt has not had too many great offensive teams, but they always had a point guard that would set the tone and make clutch plays. From Knight to Krauser to Fields - this program had that guy for about ten years straight. It is no coincidence that the program was very successful during that stretch.

James Robinson is who he is. A solid guard that would fit well on a team with offensive talent around him. Josh Newkirk still looks like a combo guard to me, and it is not a given that he will ever develop into a point guard. Damon Wilson is a quality guard but it may take him some to develop into a pure point as well. Obviously Cassius Winston would fill that void, but it won't be easy.

Like I said, not even sure Pitt is recruiting the kid yet, but hope to get confirmation today. If they are, I like the fit. This program could really use some excitement and energy right now. College basketball is a guard's game and the point guard position is SO important. That position always set the tone in this program. Not only could those three guys play, but they would do anything to win and made everyone around them better. This team obviously needs a center, but I think they need a point guard as well. In fact, I could argue they need a point guard more than a scoring guard. Cassius Winston and others were a priority for the 2016 class, but a kid like LoVett could be a great late addition to this class.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News