ADVERTISEMENT

We did NOT get a top four seed

Yeah but my point is that Wisconsin played all those teams but LOST 6 games. That is more significant than anything else to me.
I understand your point. I think their criteria are convenient. Pitt would have to play a schedule similiar to what Stanford did this year in the nonconference part of the schedule to have a chance.

I kind of like the draw in a way. I’m disappointed...but PSU is a team we already beat and they present a challenge for us that will prepare us for Stanford if we are fortunate enough to advance to the Final 8. Additionally, Stanford being the defending national champion won’t be easy but at least we don’t have to go to Texas or Wisconsin. Those would be tough venues to play in.
I would rather play Wisconsin at Wisconsin then Stanford at Stanford. Stanford has the reigning player of the year back. I think they have yet to peak.

I would be shocked if they came out and say this, but I guarantee that there were people in that room thinking that they can't give Pitt a top four seed because they can't allow Pitt to potentially play six games in their home town to win a championship.
No - It was all about setting up the big rematch with PSU!!!

Reactions: bwh05
Pitt versus Wisconsin from the Nitty-Gritty report:

Overall record: Pitt - 29-1, Wisconsin - 22-6
Raw RPI: Pitt - 3, Wisconsin - 5
Adjusted RPI: Pitt - 4, Wisconsin - 5
Non-conference RPI: Pitt - 8, Wisconsin - 28
Conference RPI: Wisconsin - 2, Pitt - 5
Road Record: Pitt - 11-0, Wisconsin - 9-3
Last 10 games: Pitt - 10-0, Wisconsin - 8-2
Record against the RPI top 25: Pitt - 5-1, Wisconsin - 6-5
Record against the RPI top 50: Pitt - 11-1, Wisconsin - 10-5
Record against the RPI top 100: Pitt - 16-1, Wisconsin - 13-6 (yeah, they lost to a team who wasn't in the top 50)

There is no way that Wisconsin should have been seeded ahead of us, let alone RPI number 8 (raw and adjusted) Nebraska.

The silliest part is after being shafted down two spots, we still got a harder sub-regional than PSU did as #11.

Pitt second round RPIs: 22/47
PSU second round RPIs: 35/54

The silliest part is after being shafted down two spots, we still got a harder sub-regional than PSU did as #11.

Pitt second round RPIs: 22/47
PSU second round RPIs: 35/54

Penn State always gets easy sub-regionals, and that's entirely due to the NCAA's rules on trying to maximize games in the first two rounds within driving distance rather than teams having to get on a plane. So, for instance, Pitt is within driving distance as the NCAA defines it for Cincinnati, but Penn State is not. So Cincinnati comes to Pitt rather than to Penn State.

I kind of like the draw in a way. I’m disappointed...but PSU is a team we already beat and they present a challenge for us that will prepare us for Stanford if we are fortunate enough to advance to the Final 8. Additionally, Stanford being the defending national champion won’t be easy but at least we don’t have to go to Texas or Wisconsin. Those would be tough venues to play in.

The Stanford students will be too busy protesting something to attend. I kid, I kid. Well, they probably will be

I thought you'd appreciate this post.

Record against the RPI top 100: Pitt - 16-1, Wisconsin - 13-6 (yeah, they lost to a team who wasn't in the top 50)

There is no way that Wisconsin should have been seeded ahead of us, let alone RPI number 8 (raw and adjusted) Nebraska.
Great post!!

1) they weren’t going to let Pitt host throughout the whole tourney. I find it laughable that SMF actually thought that the NCAA would put Pitt inside the top 4 for that very reason.

2) Wisconsin hosting rounds 3 and 4 likely means more gate revenue.

So transparent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT