ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday Night

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
Unfortunately, we are into Wednesday night. Obviously we are waiting on the Hurley news. Over the last 48 hours, I have heard UConn, Pitt, and Rhode Island from a variety of different people. Most in the coaching profession seem to think UConn. A lot of people around Pitt's program were hearing Pitt from somewhere. There are plenty of people that also think Rhode Island is in the mix. I believe that. We will see, as this decision allows us to move on one way or another.

For as secretive as Heather has been, the Hurley camp has been even more secretive. As of this morning, a member of his staff had no idea what the decision was going to be.

Here is what I know;

A substantial offer was presented to Dan Hurley sometime over the weekend. At some point, it sounds like there was a counter from his side, and then Pitt came back with a slightly new offer. Pitt has the best offer financially.

Heather spent time this weekend, amongst others, vetting and looking into Sean Miller. At some point on Sunday, she spoke to Sean. Don't know where it was and I can't confirm if it was in person or not, but I am pretty sure it was. I know that they spoke about the job. What happened and what caused it to fall apart, I do not know yet. Hopefully that will come out at some point. All I know is that she agreed to look into it and meet with him, and then it gained some momentum shortly after.

Something changed. Don't know if something came up, someone overruled on it, etc. Right now, it looks like something from Pitt's side prevented it from happening. As Miller mentioned, he was not a candidate. In reality, "any more" could be added to the end of it.

David Padgett is finally out at Louisville, so now the dominoes start. Chris Mack is the heavy favorite and Travis Steele may replace him. If that happens, the carousel there ends quickly.

So who comes in after Hurley and Miller? That is the next phase. There are a ton of good coaches out there that could be had. Just because I need to personally reset and start working on more information, does not mean that Heather only had two names on her desk. I know for a fact that there are others. Once this Hurley situation is settled, I will get to the bottom of that.

Just thinking out loud here, but I would imagine Oats, Willard, Cooley, Dooley, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News