ADVERTISEMENT

What’s the plan to catch NCST & VT ?

Pitt87

Scholarship
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2005
What would you say needs to happen to catch (and eventually pass) NC State & VT…
Looks like both will finish in the top 10 at this year’s tournament.
An outright ACC tournament team title and a perennial Top 10 NCAA finish should be the standard, what needs to happen to get there? Continue to grow the regional training center by adding higher profile coaches ? NIL money to help with recruiting? Improved strength & conditioning program? New facilities (victory heights) are on the way, but what’s needed to get over the hump, seems like we’re pretty close…Getting Mickey & Cole on the podium, along with Nino would have been a successful season. Having a national champ is awesome, but 3 All Americans and a top 10 finish would have made this season a success IMO.

Reactions: jctrack and Chaos
I'm sure Victory Hieghts and a new facility will go a long way. Has to be hard recruiting when you have the worst facility in the country. Building a better RTC wouldn't hurt either but that takes a good bit of money.

Victory Heights will help a ton, but the biggest thing is to win and win consistently. I think just 1 AA is a bit of a letdown. You need to show athletes that the coaching staff can help you progress in your career to help you meet your goals.

I was hoping this was the year we would finish higher than Virginia Tech because the next few years will be tough. They’ve got some young kids on that team that will be dangerous for a while.

Reactions: Pitt87 and lucac
The simple answer is recruiting but you don't just flip a switch and get better recruits.

You can talk about facilities and they are important, you can talk about the RTC, and you can talk about NIL and money but comes down to development. The type of kids that Pitt needs to recruit want to know that they are going to be developed into All Americans and National Champions.

Virginia Tech and NC State have shown that they can develop guys and put them in a position to succeed. Nino winning tonight would be huge for Keith Gavin on the development front.

Pitt also needs to work on expanding its recruiting footprint, they do very well in Western PA but need to be looking into Ohio, Michigan, and especially Eastern PA

The simple answer is recruiting but you don't just flip a switch and get better recruits.

You can talk about facilities and they are important, you can talk about the RTC, and you can talk about NIL and money but comes down to development. The type of kids that Pitt needs to recruit want to know that they are going to be developed into All Americans and National Champions.

Virginia Tech and NC State have shown that they can develop guys and put them in a position to succeed. Nino winning tonight would be huge for Keith Gavin on the development front.

Pitt also needs to work on expanding its recruiting footprint, they do very well in Western PA but need to be looking into Ohio, Michigan, and especially Eastern PA
I’d like to see a Tri-state recruiting area, Ohio-Pa-NJ

Reactions: Dallas Burgher

Ohio’s been good to Pitt in the past but it’s been awhile since the Thommeseit’s (Sp) were at 184 and Hwt.

Reactions: jctrack
What would you say needs to happen to catch (and eventually pass) NC State & VT…
Looks like both will finish in the top 10 at this year’s tournament.
An outright ACC tournament team title and a perennial Top 10 NCAA finish should be the standard, what needs to happen to get there? Continue to grow the regional training center by adding higher profile coaches ? NIL money to help with recruiting? Improved strength & conditioning program? New facilities (victory heights) are on the way, but what’s needed to get over the hump, seems like we’re pretty close…Getting Mickey & Cole on the podium, along with Nino would have been a successful season. Having a national champ is awesome, but 3 All Americans and a top 10 finish would have made this season a success IMO.
Recruit 10 more Nino’s

We need a stud 125,133 and get Gaige Wright from WV area for 184. Needs to be a priority by recruiting or transfer. And im it saying for this year but definitely in 2 years

Reactions: joeypitt and Pitt87
We need a stud 125,133 and get Gaige Wright from WV area for 184. Needs to be a priority by recruiting or transfer. And im it saying for this year but definitely in 2 years
Gonna need a transfer 133 for sure. I dont see any other way to man that spot. Not sure might be available though

Gonna need a transfer 133 for sure. I dont see any other way to man that spot. Not sure might be available though
Our best bet is probably a 125/133 who can't win the spot at their BIG10/12/PAC school or a WPIAL guy looking to return home. Maybe someone who has progressed past their surroundings or wants a change of scenery from a smaller program. I will look more in-depth on who might be available in the next few weeks

Our best bet is probably a 125/133 who can't win the spot at their BIG10/12/PAC school or a WPIAL guy looking to return home. Maybe someone who has progressed past their surroundings or wants a change of scenery from a smaller program. I will look more in-depth on who might be available in the next few weeks
Ivy league grad transfer maybe? Not sure who would be available.

Iowa State has 3 133's ranked in the top 25 by wrestlestat and they all have at least 2 years of eligibility left. I would be expect at least one of them to enter the portal. If that happens any of them would be a good option.
UNI also has 3 133s who either have good results or were higher ranked recruits, could see one of them hitting the portal
Jake Gilva from Minnesota doesn't really have a path to start there so I could see him hitting the portal

Vince Santaniello's younger brother Anthony committed to Oklahoma, but rumors continue to swirl about Lou after an awful NCAAs. I don't they had anyone even reach the blood round, then cancelled their Tulsa fan event to head home early. If OU made a move this summer, that could leave several WPIAL wrestlers looking for a new home.

Anyone know what happened with Codie Cuerbo? I really liked what I saw from him at Ohio states, it's too bad he decided to stop wrestling. He had a tall frame for a lightweight, almost like VT's Latona.

Reactions: Chaos
More Possible Portal options (if they decide to enter):
Minnesota 125 Troy Spratley
Rutgers 125 Dylan Shwaver
VT 125 Cooper Flynn
All could be 125/133 with Camacho

Reactions: Chaos
Seeing rumors that Connor Harer, and possibly brother is going to Rutgers. I’m hoping that’s not true because there goes another beast in PA going elsewhere.

He has to be a priority, land him Keith!! He’s gonna be a hot commodity, team in the center of state needs 133 as well

Reactions: persp
Decatur has had a lot more success at 141. He would be wise to stay up at that weight

Harer was never considering Pitt, it came down to Rutgers and Bucknell. Bucknell was only in running due to friendship between parents and one of those parents being HC at Bucknell.

Harer was never considering Pitt, it came down to Rutgers and Bucknell. Bucknell was only in running due to friendship between parents and one of those parents being HC at Bucknell.
Since your youngest is finishing high school and in that circle , do you know what names are at least considering Pitt?

Right now, only one we know of and speak to is Gage Wright. His dad has been real open with me and we hung out a little down at NHSCA's last week. Pitt has done a good job at keeping his interest. Appears it is down to Pitt and Va Tech with a visit to VA Tech in near future and final decision coming after. Tebo has been pushing him to join him at Pitt.

I heard that they have Grant McCay targeting getting to 184. Plan is to eat 8000 calories per day and lift, lift, lift

They should just recruit Tucker Hogan who was a state champion this year and is a beast. At least he’s a natural 184 pounder.

Reactions: jctrack
I heard that they have Grant McCay targeting getting to 184. Plan is to eat 8000 calories per day and lift, lift, lift
This was something I mentioned before. He is a lean 160 with lots of room to add to his frame. I can definitely see him ending up at 184

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT