ADVERTISEMENT

What days are Bono and Hahn ......

Meanwhile, Kolat just added 3x All-American Mike Evans to his staff. Guy was a maniac but tough as nails.
Love how other programs continue to aggressively tweak/improve while Pitt watches the embers slowly burn.

If there is one wrestler that I would hate for Pitt wrestlers to emulate, it would be Mike Evans.

He'd be ok b/c he's a local PA guy with name/pedigree recognition and is a 3x All American - but his style was definitely frustrating and he underperformed at least his last 2 years.

Couldn't understand why he closed it down so much offensively his last two seasons. Settled for a lot of narrow decisions when it seemed like he had firepower to spare.

Couldn't understand why he closed it down so much offensively his last two seasons. Settled for a lot of narrow decisions when it seemed like he had firepower to spare.

He didn't score an offensive point in the Big Ten tournament his senior season. And he only had a couple in the NCAA tournament that season as well. His matches were awful.

Did anyone check out Flo wrestling broadcast today? They were going to update the ongoing saga with the Pitt coaching hire? Wrestling is a huge coaching fraternity, I see Bono and Roselli are friends. Hope the Santoro situation did not poison the well.

Reactions: BApanther
Why would we want to do that? We should wait as long as possible so we lose an entire year of recruiting. That saves a lot of money on salary and recruiting expense.
That's the PITT way! They waited, waited, had a committee of 15 or more to hire this "flamer" of an AD and look what we got!
I'm convinced when it comes to athletics PITT has some sort of a " learning disability." They do the same thing everytime wait, wait, wait, and come up with poor results!
The lunatics have taken over the PITT athletic asylum but why insult lunatics!

Reactions: BApanther
Did anyone check out Flo wrestling broadcast today? They were going to update the ongoing saga with the Pitt coaching hire? Wrestling is a huge coaching fraternity, I see Bono and Roselli are friends. Hope the Santoro situation did not poison the well.

Yes. One of the guys said that last week he wasn't ready to say the AD had done a bad job bc it had only been a few days. Today he said, "Ok I'm ready." He said it seems like a circus, or incompetence, by not doing her due diligence on good candidates. He said it's gone on too long, as far as he's heard the right people haven't been interviewed, why some of the coaches who are interested aren't being contacted. They said they think it seems like Lyke wants to do it her way and that's it. They then said Chris Bono interviewing is intriguing. They are all fine with taking it slow to get the right guy that's fine, but it doesn't sound like they're talking to the right people. They said her actions towards Santoro were, for lack of a better word, "shady" and "cursory." They are missing out on prime recruiting time, and they don't have confidence in that she knows what she is doing. They also talked about the tweets Stephen Patrick tweeted out and generally weren't impressed that she tried to talk to the Oklahoma coach, if thats true, while Santoro was there for the taking.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article...-s-legal-problems-weigh-in-rules#.WO1mX9LyvIU

Yes. One of the guys said that last week he wasn't ready to say the AD had done a bad job bc it had only been a few days. Today he said, "Ok I'm ready." He said it seems like a circus, or incompetence, by not doing her due diligence on good candidates. He said it's gone on too long, as far as he's heard the right people haven't been interviewed, why some of the coaches who are interested aren't being contacted. They said they think it seems like Lyke wants to do it her way and that's it. They then said Chris Bono interviewing is intriguing. They are all fine with taking it slow to get the right guy that's fine, but it doesn't sound like they're talking to the right people. They said her actions towards Santoro were, for lack of a better word, "shady" and "cursory." They are missing out on prime recruiting time, and they don't have confidence in that she knows what she is doing. They also talked about the tweets Stephen Patrick tweeted out and generally weren't impressed that she tried to talk to the Oklahoma coach, if thats true, while Santoro was there for the taking.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article...-s-legal-problems-weigh-in-rules#.WO1mX9LyvIU
Thanks Cabe. Not what I wanted to hear. True, the Oklahoma Coach, Lou Rosselli, turned around and called Santoro and let him know he was contacted after the interview. Rosselli, was just hired 7 months ago, he was never coming to Pitt...That is NOT doing your homework. Like Football, the coaching fraternity is tight and it can have repercussions, that's why I'm worried about this process. For those who dismiss wrestling as "no biggie"...this hiring is a lot bigger window into Lykes leadership and competency. She better get it right.

Thanks Cabe. Not what I wanted to hear. True, the Oklahoma Coach, Lou Rosselli, turned around and called Santoro and let him know he was contacted after the interview. Rosselli, was just hired 7 months ago, he was never coming to Pitt...That is NOT doing your homework. Like Football, the coaching fraternity is tight and it can have repercussions, that's why I'm worried about this process. For those who dismiss wrestling as "no biggie"...this hiring is a lot bigger window into Lykes leadership and competency. She better get it right.

I definitely agree.

Thought she was at an AD conference thru today so nothing could/would happen until she got back?

If it ends up being Gavin, hopefully he'll be able to get a great staff to make up for being a young, first time coach.

Unfortunately, the hiring of this new wrestling coach - in spite of the comments of those non-fans who are blowing this off as being "only a wrestling coach" - has become a microcosm of how Pitt's recent athletic hirings have been.

I keep hoping that Pitt is still gonna get a coach who will build a program that we'll all be proud of, but the longer that this process continues, the less likely that I see this happening.

Reactions: jctrack
If it ends up being Gavin, hopefully he'll be able to get a great staff to make up for being a young, first time coach.
You don't think Gavin will just keep Kocher and Headlee? Weren't they his teammates? Tough position to be put in.....

Reactions: cabe23
At this point, hoping for Bono .......
Me to, No knock on Gavin, who is a fine wrestler and coach, but lacks the buzz, that Pitt needs to take recruiting to another level. If it Gavin, damn shame the AD wasted nearly three weeks of recruiting opportunity. Cause the delay, was a joke in this process. Let's see who is hired. Bono is clearly better option. Gavin or any of the Pitt assistants does not look like a serious search to me.

Reactions: steelton
I think we should remember that not all great wrestlers (or any other sports) automatically good coaches. Leadership is an incredibly important characteristic. I wrestled for a national championship (Harry Houska) and he was very mediocre as a coach and had very little in the way of leadership skills. If Gavin is hired I hope he will make up for his lack of experience with other talents an skills.

Reactions: guyutethepig
I think we should remember that not all great wrestlers (or any other sports) automatically good coaches. Leadership is an incredibly important characteristic. I wrestled for a national championship (Harry Houska) and he was very mediocre as a coach and had very little in the way of leadership skills. If Gavin is hired I hope he will make up for his lack of experience with other talents an skills.
I met Gavin a few times after his eligibility at Pitt was up and he had very little personality and the steely glare of a serial killer...all great qualities when you make your living still on the mat, but if you are the face of a program and need to charm parents and talented athlete teenagers, I'm not sure that is what you want. That being said, I heard he has "come out of his shell" and interviewed well when he had his opportunity, so that is a plus. I just don't feel like he is on the level of the two guys that were blown off when Lyke was trying to slide into Roselli's DMs and hire him, if you know what I mean...

But Patrick knows more than anyone else b/c he knows some kids on the team.

No one made the claim he knows everything. He's a reliable source. Reasonable adults filter multiple sources and figure out where things may lie instead of blindly believing everything they hear to be true.

It's telling the guys who cover wrestling nationally want him to tweet more, though. Some people get sought out for their opinion beyond the Pittsburgh Sports Report.

No one made the claim he knows everything. He's a reliable source. Reasonable adults filter multiple sources and figure out where things may lie instead of blindly believing everything they hear to be true.

It's telling the guys who cover wrestling nationally want him to tweet more, though. Some people get sought out for their opinion beyond the Pittsburgh Sports Report.

I have heard a few reputable wrestling media outlets out there that they are relying on tweets for their source of news/confirmation of info. That's like saying "I heard in a bar the other night that...." We've all seen twitter jump to huge conclusions (Sean Miller to Pitt???) that are simply not true, so their reliance on twitter is bothersome to me.

I'm not saying that SP doesn't know what he's talking about most of the time, but knowing what I know to be fact and that it flies in the face of a portion of one of his tweets leads me to believe that he isn't as well connected as some may think.

I met Gavin a few times after his eligibility at Pitt was up and he had very little personality and the steely glare of a serial killer...all great qualities when you make your living still on the mat, but if you are the face of a program and need to charm parents and talented athlete teenagers, I'm not sure that is what you want. That being said, I heard he has "come out of his shell" and interviewed well when he had his opportunity, so that is a plus. I just don't feel like he is on the level of the two guys that were blown off when Lyke was trying to slide into Roselli's DMs and hire him, if you know what I mean...

Know what you mean. Stan Abel was one of my coaches and he could really schmooze. Terrific recruiter.

Unfortunately, the hiring of this new wrestling coach - in spite of the comments of those non-fans who are blowing this off as being "only a wrestling coach" - has become a microcosm of how Pitt's recent athletic hirings have been.

I keep hoping that Pitt is still gonna get a coach who will build a program that we'll all be proud of, but the longer that this process continues, the less likely that I see this happening.
I'm not a wrestling fan, but I'm a Pitt fan, and I want Pitt to win at everything. So I agree that this hire shouldn't be being blown off. The more Pitt teams that win, the better.

I have heard a few reputable wrestling media outlets out there that they are relying on tweets for their source of news/confirmation of info. That's like saying "I heard in a bar the other night that...." We've all seen twitter jump to huge conclusions (Sean Miller to Pitt???) that are simply not true, so their reliance on twitter is bothersome to me.

I'm not saying that SP doesn't know what he's talking about most of the time, but knowing what I know to be fact and that it flies in the face of a portion of one of his tweets leads me to believe that he isn't as well connected as some may think.

I understand Twitter may not have credibility among your generation, but the kicker is it's as reputable as any other medium. It ultimately depends on who's using it.

The only reason I ever responded to you was you taking issue with this guy 'twitter guy' perpetuating the negative perception of the search. No one needed to do that - the athletic department did bang up work on that already. Further, he had nothing to gain. He's a sharp guy and has absolutely nothing to gain from it. Nothing.

Your former teammate has retweeted Mr. Patrick several times. You've already said you don't believe him to be a liar - so that's where I'm going to leave it.

I understand Twitter may not have credibility among your generation, but the kicker is it's as reputable as any other medium. It ultimately depends on who's using it.

The only reason I ever responded to you was you taking issue with this guy 'twitter guy' perpetuating the negative perception of the search. No one needed to do that - the athletic department did bang up work on that already. Further, he had nothing to gain. He's a sharp guy and has absolutely nothing to gain from it. Nothing.

Your former teammate has retweeted Mr. Patrick several times. You've already said you don't believe him to be a liar - so that's where I'm going to leave it.

I was shifting gears to a small rant on twitter as a news source. I agree it's as reputable as anything out there - which isn't saying much about our sources of news these days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT