ADVERTISEMENT

Whats The Average Speed / Max Speed of Hockey Pucks Shot On Goal

Old School1

Scholarship
Apr 12, 2016
Whats the average speed of a shot on goal?
Whats the max speed of a shot on goal like from an Ovechkin or Malkin or any other big banger?
Could a speed gun be located behind the goalies net with a digital readout for the fans to see?
If they did this for bowling back in the 80's it would have saved the sport????
Being serious they measure swing speeds, driving distances, and other speeds and distances in golf.
Tennis measures the speed of serves and baseball measures the speed of pitches.
Football measures speed of players, auto racing highlights all kinds of speed highlights, etc.
Fans like speed measurements!

Last edited:
Reactions: ricflair4LIFE
These guys can top 100mph. Think the record is chara at 106. They clock it in those skills challenges during all star games

Reactions: Old School1
They did this with the infamous glow puck back in the day. Don't get me started on that.

With the goalie there, he'd mostly be blocking any attempt at radar. Only way would be with a chip in the puck, which they have somewhat experimented with for goal line technology, similar to what they are doing in testing with baseballs for strike zone measurement.

Don't think either are going to happen any time soon.

Reactions: Old School1
Chára has won the hardest shot competition at the All-Star Game Skills Competition five times in a row, in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011 and 2012 (Note: there was no NHL All-Star Game in 2010, due to NHL player participation in the 2010 Winter Olympics, and also in 2013 as a result of the 2012–13 NHL lockout).

WIKEPEDIA

Chára is widely considered to have the hardest slapshot in the NHL, and quite possibly the world – the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) claims the world record belongs to Alex Riazantsev at 114.1 mph, but due to differences in the mechanics of the KHL competition, the NHL does not recognize this figure

wIKI

They did this with the infamous glow puck back in the day. Don't get me started on that.

With the goalie there, he'd mostly be blocking any attempt at radar. Only way would be with a chip in the puck, which they have somewhat experimented with for goal line technology, similar to what they are doing in testing with baseballs for strike zone measurement.

The glow puck wasn't as bad as thar red line they did after slap shots anytime someone did a slapshot, that had this red line on screen it reminded me of the tiger woods golf game back in the day when you got special tiger power and the drive would have flames

The glow puck wasn't as bad as thar red line they did after slap shots anytime someone did a slapshot, that had this red line on screen it reminded me of the tiger woods golf game back in the day when you got special tiger power and the drive would have flames
Yea that certainly added to the horror, but as someone who has played hockey since they were 3 years old, to me it was gimmicky and completely detracted from the game. But to each their own.

Whats the max speed of a shot on goal like from an Ovechkin or Malkin or any other big banger?
Could a speed gun be located behind the goalies net with a digital readout for the fans to see?
Being serious they measure swing speeds, driving distances, and other speeds and distances in golf.
Football measures speed of players, auto racing highlights all kinds of speed highlights, etc.

As far as average speed for slap shots ..... one source says 80-90 mph and another 85-93 mph, so I think it is reasonable to say ~ 85-90 mph ..... it is somewhat higher for D-men then forwards on average ...... the fastest slap shot recorded was by Chara in the skills competition = 108.8 mph.

I like the chip in the puck idea with a large digital readout behind both nets showing puck speed on shots.
What a sport guys blocking sold frozen discs of rubber at around 100 mph. Wow!
And the MLB guys complain when they get hit in the ass with an 80 mph slider.

Reactions: PittPanthers90
Forget that, about how many baseballs are used in an average 9 inning MLB game

Al Iafrate was the master of the hardest shot in the early to mid 90's and he had a skullet that would make Dana Holgersen jealous.

More importantly
What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

The average cruising airspeed velocity of an unladen European swallow is approximately 11 meters/second or 24 miles/hour ... very slow when compared to a slap shot of a hockey puck or a pitched baseball .... Monty Python pleased.

More importantly
What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Does unladen mean prior to taking a cr-p before taking off???
Remember speed and velocity are two different measurements.
In this case we should measure air speed.
But the answer to the first question is key to the final answer!

Fastest man on ice with stick speed.
Gilmore!
adam-sandler-happy-gilmore-600-600x450.jpg

And the MLB guys complain when they get hit in the ass with an 80 mph slider.
Last time I checked MLB players wear very littlexcited, if any pading compared to a hockey player. And for good reason. But your comparison is a bit ridiculous because of the pading. Why is it that hockey players and fans are always acting like hockey is so muchard tougher than all other sports? It seems like a constant crusade.

Last time I checked MLB players wear very littlexcited, if any pading compared to a hockey player. And for good reason. But your comparison is a bit ridiculous because of the pading. Why is it that hockey players and fans are always acting like hockey is so muchard tougher than all other sports? It seems like a constant crusade.
One way to look at it is count the teeth of the average MLB'er and the number of teeth of the average NHL'er and there's your answer!
You could supplement you analysis with average # of broken bones during the season or injuries requiring stiches from play or fights!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT