ADVERTISEMENT

Where I am at with the team now

Bethlehemjohn

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2001
I really could care less whether or not we make shots. I want to see toughness, aggressiveness, defense, rebounding and heart.

Right now, I don’t see any of the above. We shy away from contact, we don’t attempt to get into the lane and we don’t bump anyone off their line.

I still don’t think we finish in the bottom 4, but I also don’t think we have much of a shot to go any better than 8-12 in conference.

I just don’t understand Bub’s game. Not sure how you can be picked as a possible one and done guy when you refuse to penetrate and are afraid of contact. And unfortunately that is what I see and think of Bub now.

I really could care less whether or not we make shots. I want to see toughness, aggressiveness, defense, rebounding and heart.

Right now, I don’t see any of the above. We shy away from contact, we don’t attempt to get into the lane and we don’t bump anyone off their line.

I still don’t think we finish in the bottom 4, but I also don’t think we have much of a shot to go any better than 8-12 in conference.

I just don’t understand Bub’s game. Not sure how you can be picked as a possible one and done guy when you refuse to penetrate and are afraid of contact. And unfortunately that is what I see and think of Bub now.
The difference in physical play was so stark on Monday . We couldn’t get off screens - couldn’t cut and couldn’t guard anyone.

Blake seems to be floating on the perimeter too- never seems to cut and basically gave up on any sort of post play vs Duke .

Hopefully a low point - but toughness doesn’t typical emerge out of nowhere this late . We just don’t seem to have it.

I cant remember Bub ever getting into the lane all season. Can he? He seems completely unwilling or unable to beat his guy off the dribble and get into the lane.

I agree with your take.

Like we all talked about early in the season, if Bub was indeed a one and done player, this team had the chance to be really good. But he's proven that he's just not at that level. His game has proven to be mostly just jump shooting and he's really not that great of a shooter, at least not yet.

On the way out of the game, my kid and I were talking about our ACC record, and we both agreed that we just can't see 10-10. I think I said it looks more like 6-14 to 8-12.

ACC conference only stats where Pitt is 1-4 in 5 games.

Blake Hinson

36% shooting percentage
34% 3 point percentage
64% free throw percentage
3.8 rebounds per game
2 assists, 10 turnovers
16 fouls, team worst

Does anyone else not see a MAJOR problem with these numbers all the way down the line across the board? These numbers completely suck for a lack of a better word for a power forward. The rebounding numbers here for a PF is a joke and I have been complaining about the lack of rebounding since early in the season from Hinson. Troutman used to shoot 57% from the field as a power forward and averaged 8 rebounds per game. We aren't getting half that from Hinson on the glass who does not even try to rebound in some games.

Zach Austin is averaging 3.6 rebounds per game in acc conference play. This is way below we need it to be. Austin is averaging 9.5 ppg, shooting 50% from the field and 44% from 3. He has 7 blocks and only 2 turnovers in 5 games. These numbers are actually good in acc conference play except the rebounding. He is overrated as a defender as a wing as he gets beat off the bounce too much. He's better off as an undersized PF. But he has proven he can produce against the best in the acc. Rebounding needs a major step up. Needs to be more aggressive on offense and way more aggressive on the glass.

Jaland Lowe is shooting 37% from the field, 40% from 3, and has 11 assists and 7 turnovers in acc conference play. He is averaging 7.5 ppg. These numbers are ok considering the strength of competition and he is a freshmen point guard that just recently is now starting.

Carrington is shooting 38% from the field, 29% from 3, has 20 assists, 13 turnovers, and is averaging 15 / 5 / 4. These are pretty big numbers for a freshmen taking on a major load and responsibility. They are not good enough numbers for a NCAA Tournament team or a 1st round draft pick. Just like I said in the EYBL, he needs better shot selection. With that said, he is only player on this roster capable of making extremely difficult off balance unguardable NBA caliber shots against Elite defenders. They will fall some time in the future.

Ish Leggett- Im not sure I should even quote his stats, he has had an actual shoulder injury for some time that has gotten worse. He is important to this team, but his stats are not good enough with this injury.

Guillermo Diaz Graham- 21 minutes per game, 7.5 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 2 steals per game, 1 block per game, 1 assist per game, 1 turnover per game. These numbers would look really good if he was playing 30 minutes per game and the numbers across the board increased with the additional playing time. The major problem is his shooting percentages of 35% from the field and 30% from 3. Those shooting percentages as a starter arent going to cut it despite playing against the best teams in the acc. He had 8 rebounds and 5 steals against Duke, lets stop pretending he is the weak link on this team.

Jeffress is shooting 25% from the field and Jorge 10%. Now neither player has taken a lot of shots but you can't have depth shooting that bad off the bench. Jeffress has provided good rebounding, but we are getting very little from these 2.

We can talk about the coaching and Capel. Ive provided commentary on most of the Pitt games live. We have gotten wide open looks most of this season, we have failed as a team to make them including from Hinson. Perhaps Hinson played over his head last year. I still like our underclassmen, but we need to recruit better players that can actually shoot and rebound. Cummings and Kante are a start. We need more.

Blake Hinson

36% shooting percentage
34% 3 point percentage
3.8 rebounds per game
2 assists, 10 turnovers
16 fouls, team worst

Does anyone else not see a MAJOR problem with these numbers all the way down the line across the board? These numbers completely suck for a lack of a better word for a power forward. The rebounding numbers here for a PF is a joke and I have been complaining about the lack of rebounding since early in the season from Hinson. Troutman used to shoot 57% from the field as a power forward and averaged 8 rebounds per game. We aren't getting half that from Hinson on the glass who does not even try to rebound in some games.

Zach Austin is averaging 3.6 rebounds per game in acc conference play. This is way below we need it to be. Austin is averaging 9.5 ppg, shooting 50% from the field and 44% from 3. He has 7 blocks and only 2 turnovers in 5 games. These numbers are actually good in acc conference play except the rebounding. He is overrated as a defender as a wing as he gets beat off the bounce too much. He's better off as an undersized PF. But he has proven he can produce against the best in the acc. Rebounding needs a major step up. Needs to be more aggressive on offense and way more aggressive on the glass.

Jaland Lowe is shooting 37% from the field, 40% from 3, and has 11 assists and 7 turnovers in acc conference play. He is averaging 7.5 ppg. These numbers are ok considering the strength of competition and he is a freshmen point guard that just recently is now starting.

Carrington is shooting 38% from the field, 29% from 3, has 20 assists, 13 turnovers, and is averaging 15 / 5 / 4. These are pretty big numbers for a freshmen taking on a major load and responsibility. They are not good enough numbers for a NCAA Tournament team or a 1st round draft pick. Just like I said in the EYBL, he needs better shot selection. With that said, he is only player on this roster capable of making extremely difficult off balance unguardable NBA caliber shots against Elite defenders. They will fall some time in the future.

Ish Leggett- Im not sure I should even quote his stats, he has had an actual shoulder injury for some time that has gotten worse. He is important to this team, but his stats are not good enough with this injury.

Guillermo Diaz Graham- 21 minutes per game, 7.5 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 2 steals per game, 1 block per game, 1 assist per game, 1 turnover per game. These numbers would look really good if he was playing 30 minutes per game and the numbers across the board increased with the additional playing time. The major problem is his shooting percentages of 35% from the field and 30% from 3. Those shooting percentages as a starter arent going to cut it despite playing against the best teams in the acc. He had 8 rebounds and 5 steals against Duke, lets stop pretending he is the weak link on this team.

Jeffress is shooting 25% from the field and Jorge 10%. Now neither player has taken a lot of shots but you can't have depth shooting that bad off the bench. Jeffress has provided good rebounding, but we are getting very little from these 2.

We can talk about the coaching and Capel. Ive provided commentary on most of the Pitt games live. We have gotten wide open looks most of this season, we have failed as a team to make them including from Hinson. Perhaps Hinson played over his head last year. I still like our underclassmen, but we need to recruit better players that can actually shoot and rebound. Cummings and Kante are a start. We need more.

I think where we got this team wrong from that early 4 game stretch of blowouts was on the defensive end. There have been long stretches vs Florida, Syracuse, and Duke where the defense was as bad as I've seen at Pitt. Like 50 points in 20 minute type stuff. The D played good against UNC but that's partly because they missed shots. I still have PTSD from those 3 atrocious bench bums from Syracuse dropping like 55 on us.

Blake Hinson

36% shooting percentage
34% 3 point percentage
3.8 rebounds per game
2 assists, 10 turnovers
16 fouls, team worst

Shutting down Blake has been Priority #1 for all of our opponents and it's working. It's working because we don't have the supporting cast around him like we did last year. And we don't exactly have a coach who runs sets to free him up. We know his D and rebounding have never been all that. He's an offensive-minded, slightly under-sized #4. You have to put up with the defensive deficiencies because he's a capable scorer. Unfortunately, for the reasons stated above, we're not getting that output from him right now.

Definitely bottom 4. They suck. I wrote that 2 weeks ago and told no way. Yes WAY. Team stinks and coaching is non-existent. If they win more than 5 total ACC games I'll be shocked. They'll lose to Syracuse again on Tuesday, the Duke, that'll take them to 1-6 and another Capel collapse will be in full force.

I agree with your take.

Like we all talked about early in the season, if Bub was indeed a one and done player, this team had the chance to be really good. But he's proven that he's just not at that level. His game has proven to be mostly just jump shooting and he's really not that great of a shooter, at least not yet.

On the way out of the game, my kid and I were talking about our ACC record, and we both agreed that we just can't see 10-10. I think I said it looks more like 6-14 to 8-12.
I wound say 8-12 at best!

Not to mention that he can’t shoot worth a $hit. He’a nowhere near ready for the NBA.

When Bub elevates straight up for his jumper he makes them. As we began playing better competition the defense was tighter and he developed the bad habit of jumping away from the defender as he shoots. Not really a fade away. He fades right and left.

He drives in too deep and loses his handle and loses his outlet pass options. Just bad decisions by a young guard playing somewhat out of position. He doesn't have Leggett's experience or quickness. He should improve and get stronger. Then he will likely begin to actually seek contact.

Those two seem obvious to me. A good coach would nip these bad habits in the bud.

Reactions: PittPoker
When Bub elevates straight up for his jumper he makes them. As we began playing better competition the defense was tighter and he developed the bad habit of jumping away from the defender as he shoots. Not really a fade away. He fades right and left.

He drives in too deep and loses his handle and loses his outlet pass options. Just bad decisions by a young guard playing somewhat out of position. He doesn't have Leggett's experience or quickness. He should improve and get stronger. Then he will likely begin to actually seek contact.

Those two seem obvious to me. A good coach would nip these bad habits in the bud.

To add to this, both of our freshmen guards have made a ton of turnovers trying to get the ball inside to Fede, which has been almost a total waste most of the season.

Reactions: BPKY
To add to this, both of our freshmen guards have made a ton of turnovers trying to get the ball inside to Fede, which has been almost a total waste most of the season.
Did somebody hypnotize Fede for the 1st half of the ACC season last year into believing he was the real deal? He played at an all-ACC level over that time. Since then, he has played like he has no clue at either end. I am not sure he would be good at Slippery Rock right now, let alone P5.

I've noticed that as well. He fades to his right a lot when he shoots the ball. Not on catch and shoot plays, but on shots off the bounce.

Reactions: BPKY
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT